Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anilca

NBC Universal now owns GardenWeb

anilca
18 years ago

NBC Universal buys iVillage

I wonder whether they will make any changes in the way the forums operate ?

Comments (10)

• big_mike
    18 years ago

The article says i-Village runs websites for women?? Right off the top of my head I can think of Bill, Mike, Cecil, Earl and Tom. Now I know a gal named Cecil and I know a couple named Billie and even a Tommie. There's even a Michelle I know that gets called Mikie. But Earl???

Seriously, I've gotten used to the navigation system and I can get around fairly well. I'm guessing if they change anything it will be getting rid of all us freeloaders who didn't pay to get on and just ignore the advertising. They'll probably make us all pay to play.

• lumierefrere
    18 years ago

I used to work for the National Biscuit Company.

So now instead of banner ads featuring skinny dipping with the mean looking Xavier, we'll get endless promos for the new crap Spielberg flick.

Barb

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Here are the thoughts of some over at the Suggestion Forum.

some good, and some not so good.

Here is a link that might be useful: iVillage is sold to NBC post at Suggestion Forum

• squeeze
    18 years ago

actually if you look at the ivillage.com site, it calls itself a website for women, and the entire front page is totally "womens issues" - looking thru the site I find no mention of GW anywhere - I think the GW acquisition was strictly to pad their ad revenue figures to up the selling price, and suspect NBC won't affect things here much if at all

gotta keep things in perspective - GW isn't that big a part of ivillage beyond providing an audience for targeted adverts, and NBC is just buying more captive audience to sell to advertisers

what I never have understood is w/ so many folks who just blank out all the ads, how is it worth companies spending millions to advertise on the net where all us free loaders hang out? :)

Bill

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Bill,

I have wondered myself about the cost to advertise versus members just blocking the advertisements.
    Possibly they aren't aware?...Could that be?
    Could it be that they are just looking at the member database number here?

With so many mentioning being bothered by ads and pop-ups, I've often wondered how many of us freeloaders there are versus those who are exposed to 'all of it'.

You said at the Suggestion Forum, "iVillage had this site a year or so, and never made it over into a woman's site."

I have to agree, and don't think much will change.

Sue

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Hoosier, WAKE UP!! There'll be a test later!!

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Multiple choice, true/false, or essay?

Can I get a quickie review on Oprah or Dr. Phil?

Do I really give a toad frog's tuchus who owns this commercial Web site that eventually will be bought by another conglomerate?

Now, where did I put those mood stablizers?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

• winnjoe
    18 years ago

it's pretty decent of them to carry ads for CBS shows. Joe
    ps Hoosier, what mood stabilizers do you recommend?

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

"ps Hoosier, what mood stabilizers do you recommend?" [Joe)

Hmmmmm ...

Transcendental meditation, Thai Chi, or plantin' tomato seeds in 72-cell trays.