Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyn3_gw

starting a community garden

cyn3
17 years ago

Hi all,

my tomato seedling sale has sprouted into the executive director of my non-profit wanting to start a community garden. Anyone with experience doing this? I know there is a GW group and I will contact them, also found a communicty garden assoc on the web, but you all have done so many things - I figured there was probably some wisdom to glean here.

I am both delighted and worried about the project. I believe I am going to be pulled into it - and if I can garden on the clock, I will be extremely delighte - but I can barely keep up with the watering at home + my private practice and full-time job - big sigh!

Cyn - BTW this is probably my first GW post during work hours that actually has to do with work :)

Comments (7)

• MrsJustice
    17 years ago

my tomato seedling sale has sprouted into the executive director of my non-profit wanting to start a community garden. Anyone with experience doing this? I know there is a GW group and I will contact them, also found a communicty garden assoc on the web, but you all have done so many things - I figured there was probably some wisdom to glean here.

My Reply:

If I was you, I would study your bylaws of your organization, and your Organization 501-3-c status, and decide if you want to Umbrella the Community Garden or make it a part of your organization service to the community.

Therefore, the broad members, and volunteers, and organization employees, can all share in the project, making life a bit easer for you.

Well, that's all the time have this morning, because it's time for me to wake-up, from feeling sleepy, and get myself back to my big garden, Amen!

• cyn3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, I am just not quite sure I understand. Why do we need to umbrella it? Why does it need anything beyond a committee? I am glad to pass on your suggestions, but I need a bit more info.
    Cyn

• cyn3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am actually happy to say I don't think the garden is going to happen this year. As I said, our exec director thought it would be "great to have a garden" but it is doubtful that anyone is willing to put in the time to get it done. I have so much on my plate right now, I don't feel that I can do more an an hour or two a week for the garden, so if it doesn't happen until next year - I will be just fine.

Of course, once I leave - which hopefully will be this coming January - I suspect the whole thing will die off...which is a shame. We share land with several sheltes and children's homes and a community garden would be such a cool thing for them.

Cyn

• mwagt
    17 years ago

I was thinking of starting a thread asking how exactly to find a community garden, and how expensive I should expect it to be. I've looked in the phonebook and on-line, but nada, nothing.

The past year or so I've been growing indoors under cheap lights, with mixed results. And I only have room for 6 plants plus my little greenhouse where I start my seedlings. It's very limiting and frustrating. Since I can't afford a house right now, and don't have a balcony or patio, I'm considering joining a community garden if I can find one - and can afford it. I have no idea how much it usually costs to have a 'plot' in a community garden.

And suggestions?

Jeff

• jimster
    17 years ago

The town I live in has a community garden. It costs $25.00 per year for a 20' x 20' plot. For this, the town provided rototilling in the spring and water throughout the summer.

My former employer had a community garden for employees. It was a much appreciated employee benefit that cost them next to nothing.

I suggest contacting your town offices and any local garden club. If there is a community garden, someone will know.

Community gardens are great because they usually have better growing conditions than many folks have at home. Also, it's a fun social activity. If your town has none, maybe you can be the one to organize one. A lot of people would be grateful to you, believe me.

Jim

• mwagt
    17 years ago

Jim, $25/yr. is right up my alley! Hah. I was guessing a couple of hundred dollars a year, but had no idea really. I'm sure it varies from city to city, town to town. Whether I stay here in Omaha or move to Montana (or somewhere else), I do plan on checking up on this. Aprreciate your info!

Jeff

• jimster
    17 years ago

Hey, towns provide baseball fields, tennis courts, boat ramps, etc., etc., etc. Why not a community garden? It's an excellent source of recreation for the non athlete, those of advanced age or those who simply love to garden. Any town owns plots of vacant land which can be used.

Ours is a large fenced area with water spigots and hoses around the perimeter. The soil is excellent because it previously was a farm. It gets full sun all day long.

Jim

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner