Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reak_gw

indoor tomato plants-HELP

reak
17 years ago

I need some help. Late last summer I planted some tomato seeds in a little plastic bag(per the instructions)that they came in. I knew it was late, but oh well. They sprouted and I eventually transplanted them into a pot where they continued to grow in a west facing window. They were getting bigger every day so I transplanted them into large patio pots. They had been advertised on the package as a breed that did well in containers. By Christmas time, they were pretty big and the planters were in the way for the Christmas tree. They went upstairs to another west facing window. They just kept getting bigger and bigger but no blossoms. FINALLY they started getting blossoms, but so far only one tomato has shown up. It is growing but rather slowly and is now the size of a golf ball. I have been feeding them all along with Miracle grow houseplant food for all boomong plants. I think we are past the last frost (I live in the Denver area) And it's time to take them outside, yes? Should I acclimate them in the garage for a week or so before putting them outside overnight? The nights have been getting down to the upper 30's low 40's. Will they then start producing more fruit. I thought at first they had to have bees to pollenate them, but that can't be true as I have ONE tomatoe. I shake them ocassionally when there are blossoms to help them pollinate. Did I just screw up and plant them too late and indoors? Really not much different from a green house, but no bees. I hope there is an expert out there who can tell me what to expect and what to do to get tomatoes on these plants. They are a good four feet high and bushy. I trimmed them for awhile so they wouldn't get spindly but haven't done so in awhile. Also, I have seen something new this year (at least new to me). It's a cloth type bag that you plant tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc, in, and then hang it from your patio roof or someplace, and the plants will grow upside down and off the ground. Anyone have any luck with these. I hope this isn't too long. I just joined the group, but I'm desperate for answers.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County