Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldroser

Hand surgery again

oldroser
17 years ago

Both my hands need surgery again (each had two operations already) and I'm trying to figure out how to work around the tomato season. If I get my right hand done in mid-July and it takes 5 weeks before the cast comes off will it OK in time to weed (probably should put down a mulch this year)? Pick tomatoes? Slice tomatoes? Can tomato juice?

And if the left one is slated for mid-October can I be sure the tomato season will be over? And will the cast be off by Thanksgiving?

The real bummer is not being able to drive but I figure I may be able to get someone to drive my car. Don't want anyone else messing around with my tomatoes!

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

And if the left one is slated for mid-October can I be sure the tomato season will be over? And will the cast be off by Thanksgiving?

Yup, statistically speaking the season will be over by mid-Oct.

And why does the cast have to be off by Thanksgiving, for you can always let someone else cook the turkey. Yes? LOL

And here all I was mad about was because the French Open starts two days before I have my hip done and I'm going to interview some rehab places to see who has the best TV setup, assuming I'll be able to see part of the second week and the Finals. Sigh.

I've just got to assume that Freda, who will be in charge of my tomato plants and the raised flower beds and some squash and cukes I'll have her seed in some pots out back, will do her job.

What's with the hands? Arthritis? Carpal Tunnel? Don't want to say, which is fine with me.

I know, I know, but why didn't you have them done over the winter when tomatoes were far far away? LOL

Carolyn

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Arthritis - goes with the territory, I guess. Carpal tunnel the first two times.
    Problem with winter is the surgeon is in NYC and getting down there might be iffy. Besides, how does one shovel snow with a cast on?
    Sounds like the hip surgery is good news? And most rehab places have a lounge with a big TV so you shouldn't miss too much tennis.

• MrsJustice
    17 years ago

Dear oldroser and Carolyn

I will be praying for both of you, Amen!!

Oldroser: It would be good if someone can plant your tomatoes with a black plastic ground cover, to keep the weeds at bay or under control until your hands hail.

I have 1/8 section of my big garden with black plastic ground cover, as an experiment. So far, so good.

Hope this helps!!!!

mrsjustice

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

Sounds like the hip surgery is good news? And most rehab places have a lounge with a big TV so you shouldn't miss too much tennis.

Good news? Let's out it this way....it's a step in the right direction. ( smile)

It's to be followed this summer by the spinal surgery and I'll still be in the walker but the pain level should be greatly reduced.

Maybe the right hip next Spring? It's almost as bad as the left one as dear surgeon recently pointed out to me.

it seems that my best hope now long term is to be able to walk with one cane since the quad tear in the right leg is not going to allow that leg to ever be that stable.

I'll take the one cane b'c while it will still make me dependent on others for groceries, most gardening, etc., it should allow me to get into so many places that I can't get into now with the walker.

Just over two weeks now to May 31 and lots to do here in terms of planning for this and that.

Tuesday I have an appt at the rehab place I'd like to go to altho I don't have the last word. We'll see if they have a lounge where I can hang out. I'm not a shy passive person, but am a private person, and at my age I don't "play well" with others, LOL, so I'd love to find a spot alone where I could watch the French Open and do some reading in between PT and OT stuff.

Carolyn

• oldroser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If it's going to be a cane, get a fancy one. Mine comes from Maine and is carved to a spiral - maple stick and cherry handle which is flat not curved so it doesn't exert pressure on my palms. Figured that if I had to use the thing, it might as well be a decoration too. I get a lot of comments on it.

• doris1009
    17 years ago

I agree with OldRoser....if it's going to be a cane, get a fancy one.

I've used a cane for a number of years now and have a nice collection, actually mostly from eBay. Different colors, hand-carved, hand-painted, metal (not my favorite) and more. Really makes cane carrying more interesting, Carolyn.

Take care, girl................Doris, NJ

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths