Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Recipe Share

gardengalrn
18 years ago

There have been several recipes shared recently and I thought it might be nice to post our recipes and/or ideas for what to do with our garden produce here in one place. Here are the salsa recipes submitted in a thread a while ago. I added a few at the end, I don't know the authors but they were copied from a public recipe site:

It's Salsa Season - Recipe's

Posted by Paul2101 z6 MD (My Page) on Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 14:54

I made a batch of Salsa. Here's my recipe. List your own into this thread.

(1) 4 cups tomatoes diced small (everything but the cores)

(2) 1 cup finely diced onion

(3) 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chile pepper, (scalded, peeled and finely diced). I use Anaheim peppers.

(4) 1/2 teaspoon of crushed garlic

(5) 1 teaspoon salt

(6) 1/2 teaspoon cumin

(7) cilantro (1/8 teaspoon if dry, alot more if fresh)

The heat depends on the peppers you have. With average Anaheim peppers, these ingredients will make a mild to medium heat. If you want it real hot, add Jalapeno Peppers. Add more salt if you like.

Mix it all together and chill it in the fridge. It should sit for at least 4 hours before you eat it. The flavors need to mix. It will keep in the fridge for about a week but its best used within 48 hours.

This stuff is great on tortilla chips or on burrito's.

NOTE: Don't can this recipe. I don't think it has enough acid to be safe. Most of the canner recipe's add vinegar.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: It's Salsa Season - Recipe's

Posted by: zucchini 5a ONT (My Page) on Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 21:00

mmmmmmmmmsounds good..I wonder if you could freez it? M/Z

Posted by: Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 21:11

Paul,

I know it sounds weird this time of the year, but change your recipe like this, use canned tomatoes instead of fresh. Even a can of Hunt's whole tomatoes will do just fine.

Posted by: Paul2101 z6 MD (My Page) on Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 22:54

Earl, I would not have come up with such a sacrilegious idea on my own :) I'm curious now so I'll probably give it a try.

What affect do the canned tomatoes have on the Salsa?

Paul

Posted by: jcw3tc z5 IL (My Page) on Sat, Sep 4, 04 at 23:44

Here is my recipe that many people say I should sell. Sorry I have never measured anything but here is the ingrediants.

Fresh Tomatoes are best. Like Earl said, when I run out of fresh I use Hunt's Petite Diced. The are better than the rocks in the grocery produce dept.

The peppers depends on the heat you want. I always use some type of habanero for my main heat source, chocolate habanero or red savina are my favorite. No peeling and definitely no removal of seeds (thats whre the good heat is), just chop off the stem and throw it in the food chopper.

Finely Diced onion.

1 finely diced sweet bell pepper, valencia was very good this year.

A lot of chopped fresh cilantro leaves.

Salt.

Sometimes I add some ground coriander for extra cilatro type flavor.

Sometimes I add some tomato paste to help thicken it a bit.

Sorry for no measurements. I have been making and adjusting this recipe for several years and never measure. One reason is that I usually start with a 3 gallon bucket of tomatoes. By the time I have peeled them and removed bad parts, chopped and let drain what I have left is always different. I usually combine everything but the peppers and check the taste for salt. I get the saltiness right then add the hot peppers. For a 2 quart size batch I will use anywhere from 4 to 8 habanero class peppers depending on their size and usually add sliced rings of jalapeno, hungarian wax, etc. This is usually far too hot for most people but me and the guys I work with like it hot. For a milder batch use only mild peppers like jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, etc.

Posted by: eyolf Z3: Mn (My Page) on Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 0:45

I don't use a recipe for fresh salsa; it was my turn to cook today, so we had scrambled eggs and salsa in flour tortillas for breakfast. What went in the salsa is what ever was ready in the garden:

Red Tomatoes; One of Fusion's F3HSPL, plus a Marmande.

Yellow: 2 or 3 small Mingolds plus a big Faribo.

1 slicer cuke

3 Johnny's "apple" sweet peppers, roasted over a flame and the skin removed, diced.

1 Hungarian wax peppers, roasted as above, seeds removed.

1 small onion, diced fine so the kids wouldn't complain

3 cloves of Earl's red garlic (it does real well here...thanks Earl!)

handful of sea salt, some fresh basil and oregano leaves, and some freshly crushed cumin seeds.

The whole thing marinated only for 20 minutes while I prepared the rest.

Place a serving of eggs in a small tortilla, fold in your hand like an ice cream cone, scoop salsa over the top, and enjoy. Best savored outside on the deck on warm summer mornings (weather was quite warm today), and lingered over.

Sometimes I put corn in it, substitute Zuchini for the cucumber, etc. After eating my tortilla, I often eat a small bowl of just salsa!

Posted by: Paul2101 z6 MD (My Page) on Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 8:22

jcw3tc, Wow, 4 habaneros in just 2 quarts of salsa.

I'll bet you have sweat dripping from your forehead when you eat that :)

Paul

Posted by: Tom_Ato z6a SWOhio (My Page) on Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 12:22

I've saved these recipes from posts in previous years (plus a new one that Earl sent me yesterday). Anyhow, here are three more salsa recipes.

RE: Sauce/Salsa tomatoes

Posted by: delaney276 WV (delaney276@hotmail.com) on Mon, Aug 6, 01 at 18:04

my salsa recipe

tomato (enough to fill food processor half full)

2 jalapeno's(mild) 2 super chili's (med) 2 Red Savinas (Hot)

1 small onion

4 cloves of garlic

1-2 cups fresh cilantro

1 small onion

1 pimento pepper

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 teaspoon fresh crushed pepper

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 freshly squeezed lemon

1 freshly squeezed lime

blend together and let chill

I figured this out by taking different recipes and finally came up with this one.......you

will love it

Posted by: Amy_PNW 8 (My Page) on Tue, Aug 7, 01 at 2:38

1 jalapeno pepper (in deference to my daughter who likes mild salsa, add more for more

zing - this is great as a mild salsa so try it mild first)

2 good sized cloves of garlic

1 large tomatillo

Process very finely in the food processor then add:

3-4 medium/large tomatoes

1 small to medium onion (sweet onion if you have it)

1 handful of cilantro (about half a cup, more or less depending on taste)

juice from one large lemon (or squirt in a bunch of RealLemon juice)

salt to taste, about 3/4 teaspoon or so

Tap food processor control a few times to chop ingredients coarsely, being careful not

to turn tomatoes and onion into mush. I generally have to adjust salt or lemon depending

on the flavor of the tomatoes. With fresh tomatoes from the garden this turns out fantastic

every time. I use tomatoes while they are still firm and I use whatever has the best

flavor. Soft ripe ones turn very liquid in the recipe.

Earl's recipe

Don't laugh, but the best fresh salsa is made with canned tomatoes. :-)

Ingredients are general amounts.

1 can of Hunt's whole canned tomatoes, medium diced

or a pint jar of Picardy

about 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion,

2 tablespoons finely chopped Jalapeno or milder peppers

as much fresh finely chopped Cilantro as you like

salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the above and serve with corn scoops.

Sometimes I add a dash or two of Frank's Hot Sauce or the likes.

Tom

RE: It's Salsa Season - Recipes

Posted by: Tom_Ato z6a SWOhio (My Page) on Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 15:16

At the CHOPTAG fest last year, Ray brought some killer lemon salsa. I just called his house to get the recipe, but he's out-of-town (I need to make a batch of salsa for Labor Day). His BH said she'd relay the message and maybe he'll post here later today (you gotta love technology). Just to tease you, I know the recipe calls for yellow tomatoes and probably the usual onion, cilantro, and salt. I'm not sure how much lemon/lemon juice/lime/lime juice it calls for--I'm pretty sure Ray just made up the recipe.

Tom

Posted by: winnjoe MB (My Page) on Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 15:51

one key I've learned is to chop the tomatoes by hand, rather than in a blender. A blender (in my hands) always produces too much juice. Tomatoes, peppers, garlic, salt, lime juice, cilantro or basil.

Joe, Winnipeg

Posted by: Bonni_Mich z5 Mich ,Da UP (My Page) on Thu, Sep 9, 04 at 17:20

Well I will try to the best of my ability to give my recipe. Problem is... I never measure anything... its all done by eye, or feel. But here it goes

1/2 bushel tomatos

1 stalk celery diced up

onions, I use red, yellow what ever I am able to get at the time ( usually about 4 of them)

6-7 green peppers diced up

a mixture of hot peppers, habeneros,green chilis. (again what ever I can find when I want to make it)

usually I cut all the peppers and onions, then store them in ziplocs, and depending on who wants the salsa, depends on how much of the mix goes in. (if they want HOT, they get HOT, usually cut down the amount for mild)

All this gets heated up to about 225* to 300+* then its ladled into hot jars and canned.

Sorry I can't be more exact, but I did this 4 times last week, and got over 70 pints of salsa :)

(well I only cut peppers and onions ONCE but yeah I make that much of it)

Posted by: Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on Mon, Sep 13, 04 at 20:56

I made 'fresh' salsa today with baked tomatoes.

Two Thessalonika hearts cut in half, skins on, and baked for 30 minutes at 400% and an unpealed clove of garlic in pan. Let cool, peeled, diced fine [mashed garlic with fork], added some chopped sweet onion, cilantro, jalapeno, t of sugar, T of lime juice, salt and pepper. Worth fighting over. Put taco seasoned burger meat in corn scoops, Mexican cheese on top, microwaved, put sour cream and salsa on top. Oink.

Posted by: Cinsay z5 MI (My Page) on Mon, Sep 13, 04 at 23:43

Here's an easy one for canning. I got the ok from the local extension so it should be safe.

12 cups seeded diced tomatoes

4 cups diced green peppers + 3 minced jalapenos

2 cups diced onions

1 cup 5% vinegar

4 tablespoons lime juice

2 tablespoons cilantro

8 garlic cloves put through a garlic press

4 teaspoons canning salt

Mixed all ingredients. Brought to a simmer on the stove for 20 min. and canned in pint jars with 2 piece lids at 10 lbs. pressure for 35 min.

The lime juice and cilantro are key. Its even better fresh.

Cindy

Posted by: LynnCanGrowIt Zone7 in N. VA (My Page) on Wed, Sep 15, 04 at 16:25

I've made 2 different recipes for canned salsa so far this season, and I'm not satisfied with either recipe. The salsa made for canning is more watery than regular salsa that I usually make.

I'm happy to have Paul's recipe and I will try this one tomorrow, just to eat after cooled. We sure have more than enough tomatoes to make more salsa. (More salsa, more sauce, more hot sauce....)

Thanks for the recipe, Paul.

Posted by: twilightsglow z8b TX (My Page) on Wed, Sep 15, 04 at 18:15

I have a few.

Fresh Garden Salsa (no heat)

------------------------------

can diced tomatoes (half blended into puree)

a few radishes diced

half a cucumber diced

bell pepper diced

green onions chopped

lots of MEXICAN oregano (dried or fresh)

lots of lime juice

salt to taste

even better after it marinates

Fresh Salsa

------------

a few tomatoes quartered (juice and seeds removed and sprinkled w/salt)

a big slice of spanish onion

garlic clove (optional)

jalapeno or serranos

parsley or cilantro

juice of half a lime

pulse the jalapeno and herb in a cuisanart, then add onions, then tomatoes and lime and blend until it is a consistency you'd like

Roasted Salsa

--------------

a few tomatoes halved(salted)

half of spanish onion

garlic clove

jalapeno (halved)

parsley or cilantro

juice of half a lime

Add all put herbs and lime to a sheet pan or terra cotta roasting pan. Roast in the oven. Can do this a number of ways. One is on 200* for an hour and a half. Another is to stick under the broiler until things get charred. Or just plain 'ol under 350* until they look good to you. Add to cuisanart or blender w/herbs and a little lime juice and blend.

Tomatillo Salsa

----------------

tomatillos w/husks

jalapeno(s) or serranos

half spanish onion

half lime

Char all on cast iron skillet (even lime if you like). remove husks and if you like skin on jalapenos. Blend together in blender or cuisanart. Salt to taste.

Posted by: castoff z5NY (My Page) on Thu, Sep 16, 04 at 20:00

So, here I am growing three tomatillo plants that are covered with little lanterns. At best, the fruit seems to be about the size of the average cherry and this variety is called Yellow Giant.

When I saw this thread, I was hoping for a bunch of salss recipes that included the use of tomatilloes. Does anyone use both tomatoes and tomatilloes in their salsa and if so, to what percentages? The one tomatillo recipe above mentions nothing about volume or weight of the tomatilloes used.

Posted by: twilightsglow z8b TX (My Page) on Fri, Sep 17, 04 at 11:05

sorry - I'm really bad w/amounts - I go by sight!

I would say for the recipe above, use about 2 handfuls of your tomatillos. That's roughly 7-10. Yes tomatillos are small. Add a dash or two of salt too. Also really yummy in that salsa is roasted hatch chilis or even roasted poblanos or anaheims. And you can serve it warm or cold. Great w/fish too.

I would think yellow tomatoes and tomatillos would make a pretty salsa. I would think to go even on the weight of each. Why not experiment?

Posted by: korney19 z6a Buffalo, NY (My Page) on Thu, Oct 7, 04 at 17:55

Any more recipes?

Posted by: cat2 z6 CT (My Page) on Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 12:45

Or use those tomatillos on their own for a salsa verde. For fresh tomato salsa, I use whatever is handy in ripe tomatoes & sweet peppers, a few hot peppers, dash of Dragon's Breath (some kind of hot sauce given to us- good flavor & hot), onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, and a tiny pinch of salt. I eyeball everything with an eye to how much of the stuff I've got & what else I might have in mind to do with it.

Posted by: soren Zone 9 Sun 17 (My Page) on Fri, Oct 8, 04 at 15:01

Cherokee Green Salsa

One smallish Spanish onion

Four or five nice big Cherokee Green Tomatoes!

Some hot peppers (three or four)

Garlic (two or three cloves

Cilantro (handful)

Salt (to taste)

lemon

I usually spray some olive oil on the he tomatoes and roast them under the broiler until the skins get a little charred but skip that step since these are green tomatoes!

Take bamboo skewer slide two or three clovers on the skewer, then slide your chile peppers on the skewer I use Senneros because I always have a ton of those. Toast them like you are toasting marshmellow! let them cool then into the food processor, wiz a bit then add your onion wiz that up a bit more add your tomatoes and cilantro Wiz just a little for chunky salsa wiz a bit more for smoother salsa. Add the juice from half a lemon. Taste, add more if you need it. Salt also to taste.

Dixie Gold Giant Salsa

Same as above only yellow salsa, this time I would roast the Dixies then let them cool remove most of the charred skin throw the liquid out and finish as above.

Posted by: sandy0225 z5 Indiana (My Page) on Sat, Oct 9, 04 at 8:29

Here's another one

4 cups chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup onion chopped

1 large or two small green peppers, chopped

1 large or 1 small hot peppers, to taste, chopped

1 T cilantro, fresh or 1 t dried

1/4 t salt

Eat it fresh or can. To can this salsa:

Simmer on stove until slightly boiling, check thickness, if it's not thick enough, add 1/2 can tomato paste. Pressure can pints at 5# pressure for 10 minutes, quarts for 15 minutes. I've been making this recipe for 5 years now, and no one has ever gotten sick from my canning. I give this away for christmas every year.I usually chop everything in the food processor, you can double triple whatever this recipe as long as you keep the proportions the same. Last batch I made was 22X the recipe!

Posted by: FCivish Zone 6 Utah (My Page) on Wed, Oct 13, 04 at 23:29

You put in some tomatoes, diced.

You put in an onion, diced fine.

You put in however many peppers you want of whatever type you want (hot, mild, green, red, etc.).

You add some salt, pepper and the juice of one lime.

You eat it.

Posted by: korney19 z6a Buffalo, NY (My Page) on Thu, Oct 14, 04 at 11:47

Fred, where you been? lol

Mark

Posted by: FCivish Zone 6 Utah (My Page) on Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 1:51

Out in the garden, eating tomatoes.

Well, that is only PARTIALLY true, Mark. I have been growing my tomatoes and eating as many as possible, and evaluating flavors (especially from my 'breeding' tomatoes) and saving seed. But I have also been very busy this Summer. Took a long trip to Florida. Took a trip to New Jersey. Sat with my wife in the hospital for some days after she had surgery. Been doing extra stuff at work, and a bunch of other things. I haven't been ignoring the tomatoes, but I haven't had a lot of time for this board, until now. Now things are slowing down and I am trying to get caught up. I have already read all the pages available, 1 through 10, but I think I missed EVERYTHING for about 2 months. It makes me sad, because I'm sure there is a lot I could have learned.

The other thing is, when I did check in once in a while, I was just lurking, because I didn't want to go spouting off about my opinions on tomatoes and flavors for this year until I had sampled them all and had a little experience to compare them all together.

-=- Fred

Posted by: minnekoda nj6 (My Page) on Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 15:25

This one is slightly different...

grill a few pieces of corn until it has nice grill marks.Cut off cob,add chopped tomatoes,can of black beans(drained),red onion,cilantro,a hit of redwine vinegar,chili powder and sugar.It is so awesome!!!!Enjoy

Posted by: dereckbc Z7 AR (My Page) on Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 16:46

Breshetta

1 large ripe peeled and seeded tomato chopped

5-to-8 large sweet basil leaves chopped

1-to-2 large cloves of garlic minced

1 Tbsp of a good Balsamic Vinegar

1-to-2 Tbsp of good EVO

S & P to taste.

Let set at least one hour on counter top. Take some good French or Italian bread sliced thin and toasted. Top with Salsa and good parmasen cheese. Serve with a salad, steak or pasta dish, and a good wine.

Posted by: momkoz z6 So Illinois (My Page) on Tue, Oct 19, 04 at 23:45

here is the salsa that i made, using green tomatoes. some people didnt get red tomatoes this year. :)

this froze really well, too. this came from the harvest forum.

Tomatillo Green Salsa

Yield: 5 pints

5 cups chopped tomatillos

1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapeños

4 cups chopped onions

1 cup bottled lemon juice

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 Tbsp ground cumin*

3 Tbsp oregano leaves *

1 Tbsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.

*Optional

Posted by: FCivish Zone 6 Utah (My Page) on Tue, Oct 26, 04 at 0:43

Ok, here is a more 'Formal' recipe than my previous effort (which DOES work quite well).

Fresh Salsa

(Feel free to adjust this according to taste. If you like 'Peach' Salsa, then add a few diced fresh peaches. Etc.)

6 medium to large sized fresh ripe tomatoes, diced

1 large onion, diced

2 medium bell peppers, diced

1 medium Anaheim pepper, diced (Or add hot peppers of your choice, but go easy at first. Garden Salsa peppers are good. Jalapeno, Serrano and Habanero are increasingly hotter to very hot.)

½ to 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste (for thickening)

1 rounded teaspoon salt

¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar

½ to 1 teaspoon black pepper

½ to 1 teaspoon garlic powder

½ to 1 teaspoon dry sweet basil leaf

¼ to ½ teaspoon dry leaf oregano (Go easy on Oregano. Mexican Oregano is best, but you can use regular Oregano if you don't use too much.)

2 tablespoons dry cilantro leaf

Juice from 1 medium sized lime

1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional) (May also use Apple Cider Vinegar. Or skip it.)

Dice all vegetables to desired size and combine all ingredients together. For a smoother, less chunky salsa, vegetables may be blended briefly in a blender or food processor on low speed. Serve immediately, or chill if desired, but don't let it sit more than a few hours or flavor will gradually degrade.

I made this today and it came out delicious. I am going to serve it over

salmon steaks tonight.

Salsa Verde Cocida

Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen

1 lb tomatillos (10-12), husked & rinsed

fresh serrano chiles (roughly 3), to taste

1.5 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil

1 med white onion (6 oz), roughly chopped

2 lg cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chop

2 cups vegetable broth, less or more

1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped

salt, more or less*

For the tomatillos and chiles:

The Roasting Method:

Lay the tomatillos and chiles on a bakign sheet and place about 4 inches

below a very hot broiler. When the tomatillos and chiles blister, blacken

and soften on one side, about 5 minutes, turn them over and roast the other

side.

Transfer tomatillos, chiles and any accumulated juices to a food processor

or blender.

The puree:

Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a deep, medium large (9-10 inch) heavy skillet

over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until deep golden,

about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook a minute longer, then scrape

the browned mixture into the processor or blender. If using a blender, cover

it loosely. Now, pulse whatever machine you're using to reduce the

ingredients to a rough-looking puree - smooth enough to hold together, but

rough enough to keep it from that uninteresting baby-food blahness.

Finishing the Sauce: Wipe the skillet clean, then heat the remaining 1/2

tbps of the oil over medium-high. When hot enough to make a drop of the

puree sizzle sharply, pour it in all at once and stir constantly for 4-5

minutes, as your sauce base sears and sizzles into a darker and thicker

mass. (You'll notice that characteristic roasty, tangy aroma fill the

kitchen.) Stir in the broth, let return to a boil, reduce the heat to medium

and simmer briskly until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 10 minutes.

(You can chedck the consistency by spooning a little on a plate; If it looks

watery, solids separating quickly from the broth, simmer it longer; if it

mounds thickly, stir in a little broth or water.) Stir in cilantro, then

taste and season with salt.

Advance Preparation: The sauce can be prepared 4-5 days ahead. If frozen,

whiz it in the blender or processor to get it back to a beautiful texture.

Other Chiles You Can Use: Fresh jalapenos can stand in for the serranos.

Risa's notes: I made 1/2 the amount and the sauce reacted exactly as Rick

says in the recipe. No need to fool with this at all. Great the way it is.

* Salt depends on how salty the broth is. If it is very salty, then little

will be needed. If it is low sodium, then it will need more.

:
_____

CAUTION: Most salsa recipes contain a mixture of low-acid foods, such as onions and chiles. Acid, such as vinegar or lemon juice must be added to prevent the bacteria, Clostridium botulinum, from growing. This bacteria produces a deadly toxin that can cause serious damage to the central nervous system or death when eaten in even small amounts. These salsa recipes have been tested to ensure that they contain enough acid to be processed safely in a boiling water canner.

INGREDIENTS

Tomatoes

The type of tomato you use often affects the quality of salsas. Paste tomatoes, such as Roma, have firmer flesh and produce thicker salsas than large slicing tomatoes. Although both types make good salsas, slicing tomatoes usually yield a thinner, more watery salsa than paste tomatoes.

Canning is not a good way to use overripe or spoiling tomatoes. Use only high quality tomatoes for canning salsa or any other tomato product. Do not use tomatoes from dead or frost-killed vines. Poor quality or overripe tomatoes will yield a very poor salsa and may spoil.

Where recipes call for peeled or skinned tomatoes, remove the skin by dipping tomatoes into boiling water for 30-60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water, then slip off skins and remove cores and seeds. You may substitute green tomatoes or tomatillos for tomatoes in any of these recipes.

Chiles

Chiles range from mild to fiery in taste. Very hot chiles are usually small (1 to 3 inches long); mild chiles are usually bigger (4 to 10 inches long). Anaheim, Ancho, New Mexico 6-4, Big Jim, Chimayo, and Hungarian Yellow Wax are mild chile varieties. Choose a mild chile when the recipe calls for long green chiles.

Small, very hot chiles provide a distinct taste to salsas. Jalapes the most popular hot chile. Other varieties include Serrano, Cayenne, Habanero, Chile Piquin, and Tabasco. Use rubber gloves when you cut or dice these chiles because they cause extreme irritation to the skin. Do not touch your face, particularly the area around your eyes, when you are working with hot chiles.

You may substitute bell peppers for some or all of the long green chiles. Also, different chile varieties will have different flavors. Canned chiles may be used in place of fresh.

Use only high quality chiles. Do not increase the total amount of chiles in any recipe. However, you may substitute one type of chile for another.

The skin of long green chiles may be tough and can be removed by heating the chiles. Usually when chiles are finely chopped, they do not need to be skinned.

Hot chiles, such as the jalapedo not need to be peeled, but seeds are often removed.

If you choose to peel chiles, slit each one along the side to allow steam to escape. Peel using one of these two methods:

Oven or broiler methodce chiles in a hot oven (400 ?F) or broiler for 6-8 minutes until skins blister.

Range-top methoder hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place chiles on burner for several minutes until skins blister.

After heating, place chiles in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the chiles easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop.

CAUTION: Wear plastic or rubber gloves while handling hot chiles.

Tomatillos

Tomatillos are also known as Mexican husk tomatoes. They do not need to be peeled or seeded, but the dry outer husk must be removed.

Acids

The acid ingredients used in salsa help preserve it and prevent botulism poisoning. You must add acid to canned salsas because the natural acidity may not be high enough. Commonly used acids in home canning are vinegar and lemon juice. Lemon juice is more acidic than vinegar, but has less effect on flavor. Use only vinegar that is at least 5% acid and use only bottled lemon juice.

If you wish, you may safely substitute an equal amount of lemon juice for vinegar in recipes using vinegar. Do not substitute vinegar for lemon juice. This substitution will result in a less acid and potentially unsafe salsa.

Spices

Spices add flavoring to salsas. Cilantro and cumin are often used in spicy salsas. You may leave them out if you prefer a salsa with a milder taste. For a stronger cilantro flavor, add fresh cilantro just before serving the salsa.

IMPORTANT: Follow the directions carefully and exactly for each recipe. Use the amounts of each vegetable listed in the recipe. Add the amount of vinegar or lemon juice listed. You may decrease the amount of spices, if desired. Do not can salsas that do not follow these or other research tested recipes. (They may be frozen or stored in the refrigerator.) Do not thicken salsas with flour or cornstarch before canning. After you open a jar to use, you may pour off some of the liquid or thicken with cornstarch.

Filling the Jars

Follow manufacturerdirections for pretreating lids. Fill hot clean jars with the hot salsa, being careful not to leave any salsa on the rims. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp paper towel. Put on lids and screw on metal bands.

PROCESSING

Processing in a Boiling Water Canner

Use a rack to keep jars from touching canner bottom and to allow heat to reach all sides of the filled jars.

Put jars into a canner that contains simmering water.

Add boiling water if needed to bring water 1-2 inches above jar tops. Donpour water directly on the jars. Place a tight-fitting cover on canner. (If you use a pressure canner for water bath canning, leave the cover unfastened and the petcock open to prevent pressure buildup.)

Bring water back to a rolling boil. Set a timer for recommended processing time. Watch closely to keep water boiling gently and steadily. Add boiling water if necessary to keep jars covered.

Remove the jars from the canner immediately after timer sounds. The food could spoil later if jars are left in hot water too long.

Cooling Jars

Put jars on a rack or cloth so air can circulate freely around them. Don't use a fan and avoid cold drafts.

Do not retighten screw bands after processing.

Testing for Seal

Test each jar for a seal the day after canning. Jars with flat metal lids are sealed if:

1. Lid is curved down in the center.

2. Lid does not move when pressed down.

3. Tapping the center of the lid with a spoon gives a clear, ringing sound (this is the least reliable method).

If a jar is not sealed, refrigerate the contents and use soon or reprocess. Reprocess within 24 hours. When reprocessing, the salsa must first be heated to a boil before packing in hot jars. Wipe jar rims clean. Use a new lid and process for the full time listed.

Storing

Wipe jars. Label with the date and the contents of the jar. Remove the screw bands to avoid rust.

Store jars in a cool dark place. For best eating quality and nutritive value, use within one year. Heat, freezing temperatures, light, or dampness will decrease the quality and shelf life of canned food.

Before Using

Before opening each jar, look for bulging lids, leaks, or any unusual appearance of the food. After opening, check for off-odor, mold, or foam. If there is any sign of spoilage, destroy the food.

RECIPES

Tomatillo Green Salsa

5 cups chopped tomatillos

1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalape

4 cups chopped onions

1 Tbsp ground cumin*

3 Tbsp oregano leaves *

1 Tbsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos.

*Optional

Tomato/Green Chile Salsa

Yield: 3 pints

3 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

3 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

3/4 cup chopped onions

1 jalapeseeded, finely chopped

1 1/2 cups vinegar

1/2 tsp ground cumin*

2 tsp oregano leaves*

1 1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

Tomato Salsa (using paste tomatoes)

Yield: 16-18 pints

7 qt peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

4 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

5 cups chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped, seeded, jalape

3 Tbsp oregano leaves*

2 Tbsp fresh cilantro*

2 cups bottled lemon juice

2 Tbsp salt

1 Tbsp black pepper

2 Tbsp ground cumin*

Combine all ingredients except cumin, oregano, and cilantro in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add spices and simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

This recipe works best with paste tomatoes. Slicing tomatoes require a much longer cooking time to achieve a desirable consistency.

*Optional

Tomato Taco Sauce

Yield: 16-18 pints

8 qt peeled, cored, finely chopped paste tomatoes

2 1/2 cups vinegar

2 Tbsp salt

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1 1/2 Tbsp black pepper

5 cups chopped onions

1 Tbsp sugar

4 jalapeseeded, chopped

2 Tbsp oregano leaves*

1 tsp ground cumin*

4 long green chiles, seeded, chopped

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently until thick (about 1 hour). Ladle hot mixture into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water canner: 15 minutes for 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

This recipe works best with paste tomatoes, as slicing tomatoes will yield a thin watery salsa. If you only have slicing tomatoes available, use the Tomato/Tomato Paste Salsa recipe.

Tomato/Tomato Paste Salsa

Yield: 7-9 pints

3 qt peeled, cored, chopped slicing tomatoes

2 12-ounce cans tomato paste

3 cups chopped onions

2 cups bottled lemon juice

6 jalapeseeded, finely chopped

1 Tbsp salt

1 Tbsp sugar

4 long green chiles, seeded, chopped

1 Tbsp ground cumin*

2 Tbsp oregano leaves *

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner. 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Optional

Chile Salsa

Yield: 7 to 9 pints

10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

4 cups chopped onions

1 cup vinegar

6 cups seeded, chopped chiles*

3 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude, 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

*Use mixture of mild and hot chiles.

IMPORTANT

The only changes you can safely make in these salsa recipes are to substitute bottled lemon juice for vinegar and to decrease the amount of spices and herbs. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.

Originally developed by Val Hillers and Richard Dougherty, Washington State University, Cooperative Extension Service. Adapted for use in New Mexico by Martha Archuleta.

Chicken Breasts with Tomatillos

2 whole boneless chicken breasts

Juice of 1 lime

1 tablespoon corn oil

Salt and pepper

3/4 pound tomatillos, peeled rinsed and boiled until tender (8-10 minutes)

1 jalapeno chili, halved and seeded (1 use 2!)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

2 Tablespoons corn oil

1/3 cup sour cream

Season the chicken with lime, oil, salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate briefly.

Puree the tomatillos with the onion, jalapeno, salt and sugar.

Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a sauté °an and fry the tomatillo mixture over medium heat until reduced by ? about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Cook the chicken breasts until done, preferably by grilling.

While chicken is cooking, reheat the tomatillo sauce to boiling.

Remove from heat and let cool a couple minutes then stir in sour cream.

Dollop over grilled chicken and serve with tortillas.

Comments (88)

• coronabarb
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Salsa Favorita by sandy 0225

4 cups chopped tomatoes, you can leave the skins on or peel
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 large or 2 small green peppers, chopped
    hot peppers to taste, 1-2, chopped
    1 t. dried cilantro or 1 T fresh
    a little sprinkle of salt
    a dash of dried oregano or a pinch of fresh

drain your tomatoes in a colander or strainer after chopping to make thicker salsa, or if you're making a lot, use some tomato paste. Mix all the ingredients together and eat.

You can eat this fresh or bring it to a boil and can it at 10 lbs pressure for 10 minutes for pints or quarts, or freeze it. It's good too with a little dash of lime juice. I've made up to 40 times this recipe at once and canned it. Last time I made 7 gallons!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

My EXACT "recipe":..................HA HA - KCMO Don

One fist full of sungolds
    One fist full of sugar snack
    One Neves azorean red, 2 big beef.
    4 cloves garlic,
    1/2 a bunch of cilantro
    1/2 of a variety of onion called "candy"
    1 fresh jalapeno
    1 tsp very course sea salt

Chuck it all in a food processor, and PROCESS AWAY!

This stuff was so good, my wife and I ate about 2 cups between us with dinner! I have to make some more tonight!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Here's the recipe. Note that I cut the vinegar way, way down and pressure cook mine. If you want to HWB it you may, but the vinegar will have to be increased to one cup. You can also sub lemon juice or lime juice for the vinegar for a different flavor (although I tried taking out the cider vinegar altogether and that wasn't right either).

ANNIES SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
    2 ½ cups chopped onion
    1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
    3 5 chopped jalapenos
    6 cloves minced garlic
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp pepper
    1/8 cup canning salt
    ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup vinegar
    16 oz. tomato sauce
    16 oz tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints According to the Extension Service, for BWB, process 15 minutes for pints and 20 minutes for quarts.

Earls variation - "I did a few variations from original recipe"

Used 4 Garden Salsa peppers instead of the Jalapenos; cut the salt in half; used 16 oz. of homemade [heirloom] sauce, and added 1 T. of homemade roasted Jalapeno powder. Salsa to die for!!!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

OMA JANE'S GREEN TOMATO RELISH

From Lucy Norris' "Pickled: Preserving a World of Tastes and Traditions"

12 medium-size green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    2 small green bell peppers, cored, seeded, coarsely chopped
    2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
    4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons celery seed
    2 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or pickling)

In a food processor, grind together the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Line a colander with a cheesecloth. Pour the vegetables into the colander and drain for 1 hour.

Transfer the mixture to a large, nonreactive pot and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and process in a hot-water bath, according to the manufacturer's directions, for 10-15
    minutes.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

TOMATO KETCHUP

7 pounds tomatoes
    5 garlic cloves
    5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 large onions, peeled and chopped
    1 1/2 sticks cinnamon
    1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 small knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    3/4 - 1 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half. Place halves on cookie sheets. Scatter unpeeled garlic cloves among the tomatoes. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are getting slightly dry and slightly brown.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onions in the oil until soft, about 15 minutes. Add the cinnamon sticks, celery seeds, allspice and ginger. Saute 1-2 minutes. Place a food mill over the pan and strain the roasted tomatoes through the mill
    into the onion mixture. Tie the peppercorns and cloves in a cheesecloth. Add to the pan.

Simmer the mixture about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. It will thicken. Add the vinegar and sugar, tasting to get the sour-sweet balance to your liking. Add the salt. Continue to simmer for another hour or so until the mixture is the texture of ketchup, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Remove and discard the cheesecloth bundle.

If you are canning the ketchup, process the jars in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Otherwise, refrigerate the ketchup.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Chicago_Joe

Okay, now you guys are talking my language (I make salsa for a living)! Check out my company website www.fronterakitchens.com. Here is a recipe for my favorite homemade salsa:

Roasted Jalapeno-Tomato Salsa with Fresh Cilantro

Yield 5 Cups

3 Pounds of Ripe Tomato (your favorite)
    4 to 6 Fresh Jalapeno chilies, steamed or roasted
    1 small White Onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
    8 Garlic Cloves
    1/2 Cup of Water
    2/3 Chopped Fresh Cilantro
    2 Tablespoons of Salt
    1 Tablespoon of Cider Vinegar

Heat the broiler. Lay the whole tomatoes and jalapenos out on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil for about 6 minutes until darkly roasted - even blackened in spots on one side. Flip the tomatoes and jalapeños and broil for another 6 minutes or so. The goal is not simply to char the tomatoes and chiles but to cook them through while developing nice roasty flavors. Set aside to cool.

Turn the oven down to 425 degrees. Separate the onions into rings. On a backing sheet combine the onions and garlic. Roast in the oven, stirring carefully every couple of minutes, until the onions are beautifully browned and wilted and the garlic is soft and browned in spots, about 15 minutes total. Cool to room temperature.

For a little less rustic flavor or if you are canning the salsa, pull of the peels from the cooled tomatoes and cut out the cores (working over your baking sheet so as to not waste any juices. In a food processor, pulse the jalapenos (no need to peel or seed them) with the onion and garlic until moderately finely chopped, scraping everything down with a spatula as needed to keep it all moving around.

Scoop into a big bowl. Without washing the processor, coarsely puree the tomatoes with all the juice that accumulated around them and add them to the bowl. Stir in enough water to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency. Stir in the Cilantro.

Taste and season with salt and vinegar, remembering that this condiment should be a little feisty in its seasoning. If youre planning to use your salsa right away, simply pour into a bowl and its ready, or refrigerate it covered and use within 5 days.

• reginak
    18 years ago

LOL, Barb, so are you giving away corporate secrets? Seriously, though, they sell Frontera salsa in my local grocery stores. Good stuff. You go, girl!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Andalusian Gazpacho
    from "La Cocina de Mama"

2 1/2 lbs very ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
    2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced, plus more for garnish
    1 (2" thick) slice firm French-style bread, crust removed
    2 Tbls sherry vinegar
    2 tsps salt
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place half the tomatoes, the garlic, pepper, bread, vinegar, salt, cumin and sugar in a food procesor. Process until no large pieces remain. With motor running, add the remaining tomatoes. Gradually add the oil and process until smooth.

Pass through a food mill or strainer, pressing with the back of a ladle to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.

Chill several hours or overnight. Taste and add more vinegar or salt if needed. Serve with chopped red pepper, tomato and cucumber if desired.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Emeril's Pico de Gallo

1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
    3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeno or serrano chiles (about 2 medium)
    1 teaspoon minced clove
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Pinch cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour for the flavors to blend. Yield: Makes about 3 cups

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Mango Pico de Gallo

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into very small dice
    1/2 red onion, peeled and cut into very small dice
    1 small jalapeno, cut into very small dice
    1 lime, juiced
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons honey
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Salt and freshly ground pepper

Mix together the mango, onion, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, honey, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Oops! No tomatoes in that last one *shrug*..

Charred Pico de Gallo

3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
    1/2 small yellow onion, thickly sliced
    Olive oil or vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/2 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat a grill to high.

Drizzle the tomatoes and onion with oil. Place on the grill and cook until the skin of the tomato blackens and the onions begin to brown and soften. Remove from the grill and roughly chop. Add remaining ingredients. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Gazpacho
    from *The French Laundry* Cookbook

1 cup chopped red onions
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped English cucumber
    1 cup chopped and peeled tomatoes
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    3 cups tomato juice
    Sprig of thyme

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or other container, cover, and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day, remove the thyme and blend all the ingredients in a blender until the gazpacho is smooth. You will have about 2 quarts. For a smoother texture, strain the soup to yield about 1 quart. Refrigerate the gazpacho until ready to serve.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Sara M's Gazpacho

9 large vine-ripened tomatoes
    2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 medium red onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1/3 cup olive oil
    6 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
    Salt and freshly milled black pepper
    1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, cilantro, or parsley (optional)

Core the tomatoes and dip into boiling water for about 10 seconds to loosen the skin. Place the tomatoes in ice water to cool, then slip off their skins. Cut the tomatoes in 1/2 crosswise and squeeze out the juice and seeds into a strainer over a bowl. Reserve the juice and discard the seeds.

Puree 1/2 of the tomatoes in a food processor or blender. Coarsely chop the remaining tomatoes. Combine the pureed and chopped tomatoes in a bowl and add the reserved juice.

Stir in the cucumbers, red onion, bell pepper, oil, vinegar, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Divide gazpacho among 6 serving bowls. Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the bowls for garnish, if desired.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Tyler's Gazpacho

3 slices day old French bread, crusts removed
    2 pounds vine-ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 medium cucumber, coarsely chopped
    1 red or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 cups tomato juice or water
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sherry wine vinegar
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    Garnishes:
    Chopped tomato
    Chopped cucumber
    Chopped bell pepper
    Chopped onion
    Chopped hard-cooked egg
    Lemon wedges

Soak the bread in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes, and then squeeze out the excess water. Place the bread in a blender or food processor; add the tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Puree the ingredients until almost smooth, leaving a little texture.

Pour the vegetable mixture into a large bowl; stir in the tomato juice, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, vinegar, oil, parsley, and lemon juice until well combined. Refrigerate the soup for at least 2 hours until very well chilled; the flavors will develop as it sits.

Season the gazpacho again with salt and pepper before serving. Serve in chilled bowls or tureen and top with desired garnishes.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Eggs Baked in Tomatoes

4 medium tomatoes, not too ripe
    oil
    salt and pepper
    4 eggs
    oregano
    4 thick slices Italian bread, fried in butter

Cut off tops of tomatoes. Remove the seeds without peeling. Place in greased shallow 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. (Making sure it will fit in your Toaster Oven.) Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper. Break one egg into each tomato. Sprinkle oil, salt, pepper and oregano on each egg. Bake in 425* F. Toaster Oven 20 minutes or until eggs are set and tomatoes cooked. Serve on slices of fried bread.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Paul's Feta Stuffed Tomatoes
    4 round, firm medium tomatoes (10 to 12oz)
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons dry parsley
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
    4 oz. feta cheese
    ? oz parmesan cheese

Cut the tops off the tomatoes. Scoop out and reserve the pulp. Chop the pulp, then mix in all ingredients except for the parmesean cheese.

Stuff the tomatoes with the pulp mixture. Sprinkle the top with parmesean or mozzerella cheese. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Serve while hot.

NOTES
    Don't use soft, or mushy tomatoes. You want a good firm tomato that will stand up to the oven - maybe slightly underripe. Tomatoes like Big Beef, Nepal, and Supersonic are good choices.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

CindyB's Stuffed Tomatoes

Mine went something like this, proportions are approximate:

6 tomatoes, tops removed, insides scooped out, chopped and reserved
    4-5 slices white bread (I used a fine grained firm buttermilk), cut in small pieces, baked in low oven (250) for 15 minutes to dry
    2 T olive oil
    2 T butter
    2 large cloves garlic
    3-4 green onions, chopped
    4-5 large fresh mushrooms, chopped
    1/2 cup or so of parmesan
    1/2 cup or so of mixed fine shredded Italian cheese mix
    1/2 pkg frozen chopped spinach, cooked slightly in microwave and all water squeezed out
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Sprigs fresh rosemary

Saute the garlic, green onions, and mushrooms in the butter and olive oil. Add the cheese, spinach, and chopped tomatoes. Taste, add a good amount of pepper (I think I used garlic pepper) and salt. Stuff into tomatoes. Top with a good handful of shredded cheese and a sprig of fresh rosemary. Bake about 15-20 minutes in 350 oven til just warmed through and cheese is melted.

One trick I heard on that Good Eats show is that after scooping out the tomatoes, salt the insides and turn them upside down on a rack or just a paper towel for about 30 minutes. This really helps drain out the moisture and they bake much better.

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Zoni B's Cha Cha Recipe, as made today by her 4th generation...)))
    This is especially for Jimster in Mass., but some of you might also want to try it out. A little background...traditionally, Cha Cha was made at the end of the season, as a way to utilize all final pickins from the garden, before frost or natural demise occurred. It employs the use of green tomatoes, as such, as well as peppers and onions. In the South, we call it Cha Cha, others may know it as Chow Chow. Anyway, we jus made 3 different batches , here...aughta last us for the next 2 years or so, includin the stuff we make gifts out of. Took 13 hours for me an parents to make 6 gallons....lol.I'm gonna try an describe the basic recipe, plus the important techniques to apply, an i truly hope some of yall who have lots of green tomatoes this fall might appreciate it. I would never enjoy eatin butterbeans, peas, butterpeas, w/out a big spoon of cha cha heaped on em...))) Here Goes...)))

Ingredients as we go, and instructions...for one batch

1 Gallon of green tomatoes...raw, simply get rid of the stem an the top of the core, cut it out, leave skin on, then quarter them. The key is to have one gallon of green tomatoes after you have ground them up, so how many tomatoes you'll need is dependent on what size they are, probly need 25-30 small to medium sized tomatos for this.

1 gallon of cabbage, white or green. Figure on 4 medium sized cabbages to get a gallon of grind from. 3 Big ones will do it, maybe. Go ahead an wash, then cut the cabbage up enough so it will pass thru a grinder.

1/2 cup of salt.

Now, you gonna need a food grinder of some sort, we use a basic hand-turned grinder, inherited from Grandpa, but i guess an electric grinder suitable for makin sausage will work jus fine.

Grind up the tomatoes, cabbage, then dump them all together into a large steel pot, pour the salt into the mixture, and thoroughly mix these up, by hand. There will be a significant amount of juice, leave it in the mixture, for now. Cover with a towel an let this set, for 4 hours.

While this is steeping at room temp for 4 hours, it's time to be preparing the other items/ingredients.

You'll be needin the following...

6 and a half cups of vinegar, either kind.
    3 cups of sugar
    6 medium size sweet red bell peepers, cored and seeded, quartered
    6 medium size green bell peppers, cored and and seeded,
    quartered
    12 medium size onions, peeled, cored at root-end, then quartered, white or yellow is ok
    3/4 cup, when ground, of fresh green or red hot peppers, any type will do(this is where one can get creative, will explain later)dont seed or core these, jus remove hard part at stem.
    1/4 cup, again, of salt

Now, for the little Genie in the Bottle part...))) You gotta get a piece of cheese cloth, about 9-10 inches square works fine, and some clean cotton thread. This will be needed to make up the Spice Bag. The spice bag is what gives good cha cha it's wonderful, mystical Taste...))) Lay the cheese cloth out flat on a table, then, in the center, place the following ingredients...

5 TBSPs. of white or yellow Mustard seed, or ground dry mustard, seed is preferred, but either is really fine.
    3 TBSPs. of pickling spice
    1/2 TBSPN of whole Cloves ( i use a whole TBSP in my batch, Cloves give it a lingering effect that is part of the mystique)

After u have these ingredients on the cheese cloth, wrap it up tight, sorta like a knapsack, then bind it, VERY SECURELY, this is one area that you dont want ANY accident to happen, later on, so wrap around the cloth neck about 75 times with the thread, this bag is gonna be tumbled and stirred, over an over, later on.

OK, now, go ahead and grind up the onions,sweet peppers, and it's okay to jus put em all in one bowl, dont drain out the juices, leave em in the mixture. Grind the hot peppers last, and keep them in a separate bowl.

After 4 hours is up, take the tomato/cabbage mixture over the sink, get a collander with holes in it no larger than 1/8th inch, and start adding mix in it, to drain it. I simply place about 3-4 big handfuls in it, myself, and then , by hand, take a handful and squeeze it, several times, to press the juices out, then put that handful into the actual cooking pot(2.5 gallon steel), and keep doing this, until all the mix is drained. This will significantly reduce your volume of mix, from 2 gallons, down to maybe 6, 7 quarts.

Having drained the tomato/cabbage mix, now add the onion/sweet peppers mix,(dont drain it) the 1/4 cup of salt, and mix all this up, in the cooking pot, by hand, real good.
    Add in 6 cups vinegar, reserve the 1/2 cup for later. Add in 2 and a half cups of sugar, reserve 1/2 cup till later.

I need to explain something about hot peppers, at this point. There's many different heat values found, in hot peppers, as well as many different individual tastes. Some people like cha cha , with NO Heat, if you're that way, omit using any hot pepper, an feel free to add another one or 2 sweet peppers instead.It will still have a wonderful, genuine cha cha taste, it jus wont have any heat to it. But most people, even if they only want it Mild, still expect a little heat to it, and die-hard lovers, like myself, like it hot, to very hot, although i enjoy it, if made right, in any form.But im sayin this, to advise discretion w/the hot peppers. A blazing hot Thai pepper has very little flavor, it's too hot to taste...lol. A fish pepper has good heat, and a LOT of flavor. Jalepenos can be mild, hot, and anywhere in between, but they'll generally add a nice sweet fresh peppery heat to it, i used them in one batch, plus a little fish pepper(i actually use about a cup and a quarter of hot pepper in my batches, but i dont use super hot pepprs, because i'm lookin for heat, WITH Flavor, but i have in the past, used Aji Andean peppers, and believe me, 3/4 of a cup of them is Plenty...lol. So, what i'm tryin to say is this, depending upon type of pepper used, and level of heat desired, add anywhere from a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of fresh ground hot peppers to start with, because u can adjust upwards , the heat level as you taste it, while cookin, but there's no way to reduce it, once you put it in...)))If you KNOW, u like it hot, go ahead and add 3/4 of a cup to start with. Also, what you could do is make it mild, meaning go ahead and start cooking, pour up a few jars mild, and then add some heat, if you wanted it both ways.

Ok, once you got all this mixed up good in the pot, add the spice bag, then slowly(without scorching)bring it up to a slow, bubbly boil, stirring it frequently. After it begins to bubble up, keep it that way, for 25 minutes, dont seek or allow a rapid boil, jus a smooth, steady, slow-medium bubblin boil. Stir it up, every 90 seconds or so.

While it is comin up to Tempature, get a large pan, put about 2 inches of water in it, and get it boilin, a slow boil is fine.Then, place clean canning jars in it, upside down, an let them be gettin hot, sterilized. You can wait till the cha cha starts to boil, to get these jars goin, but you want them to be upside down in boilin water for at least 5 minutes before filling them. Get a separate boiler, and place your rims and NEW lids in it, then cover them w/water, and get them boilin, again, at least 5 minutes worth, and keep them at a slow boil, until jar fillin time.

About 15 minutes into your cookin time, start tastin the cha cha. Dont taste it over the pot, because the vinegar fumes will distort your taste perception. Taste very small samples at a time, an ponder the linger, or afterburn effect.Decide if you'd like it sweeter, if so, add that reserved 1/2 cup of sugar. Decide if you'd like a little more bite to it, if so, add that 1/2 cup of vinegar( i use both, myself, but some people, want jus a little sweet, and 6 cups of sugar is enough for that way). Likewise w/the pepper heat, if more is desired, add in increments of 2 TBSPNS at a time, and keep stirrin, then tasting, until you get the Heat and Afterburn you're lookin for.

By now, if you have truly read and followed all this...lol , you will be tasting REAL Cha Cha, although after cooling and aging for about 2 weeks, it gets even better...))) After cooking for 25 minutes, remove and discard the spice bag, then fill jars, one at a time, cap, then turn upside down on a towel for about 5 minutes, then turn each one back up rightside, after it has been upside down for 5 minutes. This insures a good seal, an you'll hear the seals poppping, as the vacuum pulls them down. Also...VERY important ! Make sure to use a dry cloth and wipe each filled jar rim clean, before capping, as any debris resting upon the jar rim will prevent a good seal, and cause spoilage. And...keep the cooked cha cha at a slow rollin boil, while filling jars, and dont forget to keep stirring it.

This product will last at least 4 years, when properly preserved this way,and stored at room temp, but after you open a jar, it MUST be refrigerated, After opening, if kept refrigerated, a jar will be fine for at least a year.

Good Luck, an i'll be happy to answer any questions arising from reading this...)))

• dunkel
    18 years ago

WOW! What a treasure trove of great looking recipes. I'm very suprised Ironcheftomato hasn't submitted even one recipe! LMAO!!

• thedens
    18 years ago

Simplest recipe ever (and what I just ate for breakfast):

Top triscuits with cream cheese and a slice of your favorite cherry tomato. For lower fat, use low fat triscuits and farmer's cheese.

Truely one of the simple pleasures in life!

Denna

• earl
    18 years ago

Gimmie, looks like I'll be making some Cha Cha. :-)

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

I need to make 2 amendments to the Zoni B's Cha Cha recipe above,after goin back an re-checkin. I apologize if anyone has gone ahead and made it, before reading these 2 amendments, although i dont think your results would really suffer if you had.

Both concern the Spice Bag.
    An omission...in addition to the mustard, pickling spices, and cloves previously listed, place 3 TBSNs of Celery seed into the spice bag mix.

Secondly, the Original recipe calls for 4 TBSPNs of Mustard seed, along with 1 TBSN of ground dry Mustard...not the 5 TBSNs of either, as i erroneously stated previously. In my opinion, any close approximation tho, of using these 2 ingredients in the total amount of 5 TBSPs will be fine, jus wanna adhere to Accuracy.

Earl, hope you read this before embarkment, an really hope it turns out Well for ya, got no doubt it will if ya follow this, Friend...))) Good Luck w/it, an Happy Legume eatin down the Road...)))

• jimster
    18 years ago

Gimme,

Your kindness in offering your cha cha recipe, following through on posting it just as you said you would, and working out all the details is truly appreciated. This sort of recipe is not easy to come by and I will treasure it. It's an heirloom recipe. (Oh, no! Why did I open that can of worms again. :-) )Your suggestions for fine tuning the flavors mean I won't need to make it five times to get it right.

Thanks a million,

Jim

• Gimme3Steps
    18 years ago

Thanks, Jim...))) Hope it Really makes ya feel like doin the Cha Cha Dance, down the Road...)))

Dadgummit, one more thing about the Recipe, i jus went over it , includin lookin at all our records of the past, as handed down, an this aint major at all, but has to do w/the nature of Cloves. Cloves are magical to me, in the linger taste they impart. My Mother uses 1/2 TBSN in her Spice Bags, i use a whole TBSN. She likes it very mild tho, she caint eat it hot. The cloves sorta augment the effect of the heat from the hot peppers, plus magically impart their own flavor. In lookin back at our earliest records (late 70's) the Original recipe always used a Whole TBSN of whole cloves, not a 1/2. I make it that way, anyhow,cause i like the effect of the Cloves, but she dont, cause she likes it Mild, but i didnt know Zoni B used a full TBSN. Guess i jus stumbled into that accuracy...lol. I even think this is one area where creative experimentation could occur, by addin jus a little more whole clove if you really like it's affect.

Zoni B also used a full gallon of vinegar, which we have NEVER used that much. If ya think abour Her time, it's easy to understand why. In her day, they didnt have refrigerators, so vinegar as a preservative was necessary, in a larger amount. Cha cha will actually keep, for about a week or two, after bein opened, when simply put back in the cabinet, w/this recipe. I'm statin this because i dont want anyone to think they caint jus put jar on the Table at mealtime, ... it's fine if it warms to room temp for a hour or 2, after openin, but ya need to put it back in the fridge, after then, to keep it preserved an usable for a year or so.

At any rate, jus tryin to offer as much accuracy as possible, an i Swear...lol, i got no more omitted info that i havent gone back an verified, to add to this...))) Best Wishes to all , and Good Luck, Cha Cha Chefs...)))

• jimster
    18 years ago

No sweat, Gimme. I haven't made a batch yet. I have to ease into anything that requires work. Earl might have made some though. He's a go getter ya know. ;-)

Jim

• lightt
    18 years ago

I think I've made every single Tomato Pie recipe I've every come across and while I haven't found a bad one I must say this is absolutly the best yet. To be honest, I thought the recipe looked rather bland and only tried it because of my curiosity regarding the cottage cheese in the crust. I'm sure glad I did!

One thing I've found to be helpful when using fresh tomatoes on any type of pastry crust is to use a lot of paper towels to extract as much moisture as possible before assembly. I place the slices on paper towels and blot the top of the slices with other towels. Repeat with several changes of towels.

Oh! Be sure you note the amount of time for the chilling phases before you start this at 6:30 for tonights dinner... as I did the first time I made it!
    Terry Light
    Oak Hill, Virginia
    By Bonnie S. Benwick
    Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Adapted from Morash's "The Victory Garden Fish and Vegetable Cookbook" (Knopf, 1993).

For the pastry:

1 cup flour
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
    1/2 teaspoon salt

For the filling:
    About 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
    2 or 3 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced thick and evenly
    1 cup grated low-fat Swiss cheese
    2 tablespoons basil, julienne
    2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Have ready an ungreased 9-inch pie plate or fluted quiche pan.

For the pastry: Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and, using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut the mixture until it comes together as a smooth dough, with the butter well incorporated. Form the dough into a ball, flatten it slightly, wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.

On a lightly floured surface or between two pieces of wax paper, roll out the dough slightly larger than the pie plate or quiche pan and press the dough into the plate or pan. Prick the bottom with the tines of a fork, cover loosely and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Line the pie shell with aluminum foil and pour ceramic pie weights or dried beans evenly on the foil. Bake for 8 minutes, then carefully remove the weights or beans and the foil, and bake for 2 minutes more. (At this point, the crust will not be fully baked.) Set aside to cool.

For the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brush the bottom of the cooled pie shell with a thin, see-through coating of the mustard. Layer the tomato slices, Swiss cheese and herbs, seasoning each layer lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mozzarella and Parmesan evenly over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
    I topped with addtional fresh basil prior to serving. Terry

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

A Zesty Harvest: Dozens of Ways to Savor End of Season Tomatoes" Below is the link to the recipes.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandentertaining/recipes/recipesearch.aspx?q=fresh+tomatoes&t=k

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Posted by: socksorter 8b swTX (My Page) on Fri, Sep 23, 05 at 14:27

I love gazpacho, here is my version...
    GAZPACHO
    4 cups tomato juice
    6 ripe tomatoes, peeled
    1 onion (I prefer a red onion)
    2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
    1 sweet red pepper
    2 stalks celery
    2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 tsp. sugar
    6 or more drops Tabasco
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Optional garnishes: chopped avocados, shredded cheddar cheese, salad shrimp, cubes of cream cheese, sour cream and/or croutons

Chop all vegetables finely. Combine vegetables with rest of ingredients (except garnishes) and mix well. Place the mixture in a nonmetal storage container and cover tightly. Refrigerate overnight (if possible), allowing the flavors to blend. Serve soup cold, topping with choice of garnishes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Petrale sole with tomato butter

1/2 pound mixed miniature tomatoes
    1 1/4 tsps. minced tarragon
    1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 1 Tbsp. butter
    1 1/2 tsps. minced shallots
    6 Petrale sole fillets (about 2 pounds)
    Salt, pepper
    Red wine vinegar
    2 Tbsps. oil, divided

Cut each tomato into lengthwise quarters and combine them in a bowl with the tarragon.

Melt half-cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until they soften and become fragrant. Remove butter from the heat and let cool 2 or 3 minutes. Lightly season fillets with salt and pepper.

When the butter is cooler -- still hot enough to soften the tomatoes but not so hot as to cook them through -- pour it over the tomatoes and stir to combine. Stir gently to avoid smashing the tomatoes. Season to taste with
    salt (it will take about 1 teaspoon). If the tomatoes lack acidity, add a few drops of red wine vinegar. Set the sauce aside while cooking the fish.

Add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter to a large nonstick pan and heat over high heat. Place one to two fillets in the pan depending on the size and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the fish over
    and cook 1 to 2 minutes until done. Add the remaining oil to the pan as needed to finish cooking the remaining fish.

Place a fillet on each serving plate and spoon a portion of the tomato butter (about 1/3 cup) over the top. Serve immediately.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Green Tomato Relish

This is good served with fried fish and hush puppies.

5 pounds (10 to 12 medium) green tomatoes
    1 pound onions
    1 cup chopped fresh jalapeños
    2 cups unrefined cider vinegar
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    1/4 cup pickling salt

Prepare 6 (1 pint) canning jars according to manufacturer's directions. Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions and jalapeños in batches in a food processor, and reserve them.

Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a stockpot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables and boil the mixture vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the relish into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Candied Cherry Tomatoes

3 tablespoons margarine
    1/4 cup chopped onions
    4 cups cherry tomatoes
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar OR 1/2 cup honey
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups bread crumbs -- buttered

Wash and drain cherry tomatoes; remove stems.

Melt margarine (not diet margarine) in skillet. Add tomatoes, 6 tablespoons brown sugar or honey and salt. Cook very slowly until liquid evaporates. Be careful not to let tomatoes stick or scorch.

Put mixture in baking dish. Top with buttered bread crumbs and remaining brown sugar or honey. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven until crumbs are browned. Time depends on your oven and whether you are using brown sugar or honey; about 20 minutes.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Green Tomato Pickles
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004

1 1/2 quarts green tomatoes, thickly sliced
    2 onions, thinly sliced
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    Kosher salt
    2 cups white or cider vinegar
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cloves

In a large plastic bowl or in a nonreactive colander set in the sink, layer tomatoes with onions and peppers, sprinkling salt over each layer. Repeat until all vegetables have been used. Let stand at room temperature for 6 hours. Drain and rinse briefly.

In a large enameled or other non-reactive saucepan or soup pot, combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until syrup has reduced by about one-third. Add the drained vegetables, return to a boil, and cook until vegetables are tender and the liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, about 1 1/2 hours.

Allow tomatoes to cool in the cooking liquid, then transfer to non-reactive containers, cover with the cooking liquid, and refrigerate for at least several days before using. Pickles may be made up to 2 months in advance and stored in the refrigerator.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Tomato Gravy over Rice

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes *
    1/2 cup onions, chopped
    4 slices bacon
    1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
    3 tablespoons flour
    Salt
    Black pepper

* Or use fresh tomatoes, and cook them down to about 2 cups.

Fry bacon until done but not crisp. Cut into pieces. Set aside. Add onions and green peppers to skillet; sauté until soft. Add tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix flour with enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Add to skillet, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve over cooked rice. Serves 4 to 6.

NOTE: You can omit the bacon and use any meat available (sausage, ham, etc.), or you can substitute 2 or 3 tablespoons butter.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Tomato Garden Casserole

3 c Tomato wedges
    1 c (4oz) shredded cheddar
    1 c Bread crumbs
    1 c Chopped green pepper
    1 sm Onion; diced
    1/4 c Butter; melted
    1/2 ts Salt
    dash Paprika

Preheat oven to 300°. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Combine all ingredients; transfer to casserole. Bake until
    vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.

Baked Tomatoes

4 lg Tomatoes
    2 tb Butter
    2 Cloves garlic
    1 tb Onion; grated
    Salt and pepper

Cut tomatoes in half crosswise and put into a greased baking pan. Melt butter in small skillet, add garlic and fry a few minutes. Remove garlic, add onion and cook till tender. Add bread crumbs and mix. Spoon on top of tomatoes, season to taste. Bake at about 375° for 20 minutes or so until piping hot.

Fresh Tomato Fry

1/2 c Flour
    1/2 ts Baking powder
    1/2 ts Salt
    1 Egg beaten
    1/3 c Milk
    6 Ripe firm tomatoes
    Salt & pepper

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add beaten egg; mix well. Slice tomatoes rather thickly, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drain. Dip tomato slices in batter, and fry in a hot greased skillet until brown on both sides. Good for breakfast or lunch, served with bacon.

Dumplings with Tomatoes & Zucchini

1/4 c Chopped onion
    2 tb Oil
    4 lg Tomatoes; chopped
    1 tb Minced fresh basil -=OR=- 1 ts Dried basil
    1 ts Sugar
    1 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    2 md Zucchini; peeled & cubed

PARMESAN DUMPLINGS--
    1 Egg; lightly beaten
    1 c Grated parmesan cheese

Saute onion until tender. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover; simmer 20 minutes. Add zucchini and continue to cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Combine eggs and cheese. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto tomatoes. Cover; simmer until dumplings are firm, about 5 minutes.

Garlic Kissed Tomatoes

6 md Tomatoes; halved horizontal and squeezed lightly to release seeds
    1/4 c Oil
    2 Clove garlic; thinly sliced
    3 tb Lemon juice
    1/2 ts Dried oregano
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/8 ts Pepper

Place tomato halves in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over tomatoes. Seal and invert, making sure to coat all the tomatoes. Chill at least 4 hours or up to 2 days, shaking jar occasionally.

Pickled Tomato Salad

3 lg Tomatoes; cut in eighths
    1 md Green pepper; chopped
    1 md Red onion; cut into rings
    2 tb Minced fresh basil

DRESSING--
    1/2 c Apple juice concentrate
    1/2 c Cider vinegar
    1/4 ts Salt
    1 tb Oil
    1 ts Sugar
    1 tb Pickling spices; tied in a cheesecloth bag

Bring dressing ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat;simmer 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature; mix with combined salad ingredients. Chill, covered, at least 1 hour before serving.

Creole Tomatoes

4 lg Tomatoes
    1 sm Onion; finely chopped
    2 Green peppers; finely chopped
    Salt and cayenne
    4 tb Butter or drippings
    2 tb Flour
    1 c Milk

Cut tomatoes in half crosswise, put cut side up on baking sheet. Sprinkle with onion, peppers, salt and cayenne. Put a piece of butter on each piece, using 2 tablespoons in all. Put 1/2 c water in the pan and bake at 425° till tender. Melt remaining butter and brown flour in it; add milk and the liquor from the pan; stir till boiling and cook 3 minutes more. Dish tomatoes on toast squares, pouring the sauce around them.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

This pie is a classic in the southern U.S. and is a spicy treat no matter where its served!

Double-Crust Pastry (10-inch pie) (See Below)
    1 1/3 cups sugar
    1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 cups green tomato slices, cut into fourths
    1 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine

Heat oven to 425º F. Make Double-Crust Pastry.

Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg and salt. Toss with tomatoes, lemon peel and lemon juice. Turn into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over tomatoes. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1/2 inch from rim of plate.

Roll other round of pastry. Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can escape. Unfold top pastry over filling; trim overhanging edge 1 inch from rim of plate. Fold and roll top edge under lower edge, pressing on rim to seal; flute as desired. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust. Serve warm.

Double-Crust Pastry (10-inch pie)
    2 2/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup shortening
    7 to 8 tablespoons cold water

Mix flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).

Gather pastry into a ball. Divide in half and shape into 2 flattened rounds on lightly floured surface. Wrap flattened rounds of pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm, which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry soften slightly before rolling.

Roll one round on lightly floured surface, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down 10-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.

TIPS from the kitchen
    Youll need about 2 lemons to get the 1/4 cup juice needed for this pie. Youll need to grate only one lemon for the peel.

Planned-Overs
    Extra lemon peel? Instead of throwing it out, sprinkle it on the bottom of the pastry before filling with the tomato mixture. Youll give each slice of pie an extra flavor boost!

Special Touch
    For a pretty glazed top crust, brush thisand any other double crust piewith milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar before baking.

1 Serving: Calories 480 (Calories from Fat 200 ); Total Fat 22 g (Saturated Fat 6 g); Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 610 mg; Total Carbohydrate 67 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 5 g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 14 %; Vitamin C 16 %; Calcium 0%; Iron 12 %

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Mock Raspberry Jam

Yield 2 pints

3 pounds green tomatoes
    2 cups sugar
    1 ( 3 oz.) package raspberry gelatin

Remove core from tomatoes and cut into chunks. Puree in blender until you have 2 cups. Place tomatoes in saucepan, add sugar; stir a bit and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add gelatin. Pour into containers and refrigerate or freeze.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Just got back from this really flash boat. Onboard was an Italian chef. He started with some hors d'ouvres. I thought his finger-food take on Insalata Caprese was simply brilliant. So next time you have a surpluss of cherry tomatoes give this some thought. Imagine how decorative it would look if you used different coloured cherries.

1. Cut cherry tomato in half.
    2. Thread half one cherry tomato onto toothpick, cut side facing inwards.
    3. Thread small round of buffalo mozzarella slightly smaller than the diameter of the cherry tomato onto toothpick.
    4. Thread remaining half of cherry tomato onto toothpick cut side facing in, forming a little red-white-red tomato sandwich.
    5. Assemble in a circle around a white place. Sprinkling with finely sliced fresh basil, sprinkle with extra-virgin olive oil, salt flakes and fresh-cracked black pepper. Served with a little napkin.

With a flute of French champagne at anchor these little insalata shooters went down a treat. A great idea for entertaining. I'm going to make a platter as Christmas hors d'oeuvres.

Grub

• earlystart
    18 years ago

Anyone have good recipe for tomato preserves?

• worth1
    18 years ago

Look in the ball blue book!!!

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Barb, and others,

Thanks for the wealth of recipes.

I've tried some, and read the others which caused me to get really daggone hungry, over-indulge, and gain weight between Thanksgiving and now.

Bill

• griley
    18 years ago

bump

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you guys saved this thread in the sabotage rush. I would be most unhappy if it went over the falls. :-)

Thanks, guys...

Barb

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

I saved this on my desktop so it will never again be endangered by uncivilized beasts.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

SOUTHERN SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND GRITS

1 3/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
    6 tablespoons corn grits -- uncooked
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small onion -- diced
    1 medium clove garlic -- minced
    1 cup mushrooms -- sliced
    1 medium jalapeno pepper -- seeded and minced
    1 medium red bell pepper -- or yellow pepper, chopped
    2 medium tomatoes -- cored and chopped
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound skinless chicken thighs -- boneless, cut into 1-inch chunks

Place broth in a 3 to 5 quart slow cooker. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly, to avoid lumps, set slow cooker aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, jalapeno and red pepper; saute, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add vegetables to slow cooker. Place tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper in slow cooker; stir to mix. Add chicken thighs. Cover and cook at medium setting for 5 to 6 hours.

SLOW-COOKED PEPPER STEAK

1 1/2 pounds beef round steak
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    4 tomatoes -- cut into eighths or 1 16 oz. can diced
    tomatoes with liquid
    2 large green bell pepper -- cut into strips
    1/2 cup cold water
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    cooked noodles or rice

Cut beef into 3-inch x 1 inch strips; brown in oil in a skillet. Transfer to a slow-cooker. Combine the next seven ingredients; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Add tomatoes and green bell peppers; cook on low for 1 hour longer.

Combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a paste; stir into liquid in slow cooker and cook on high until thickened. Serve over noodles or rice.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Grilled Tomato Sauce
    From Steven Raichlen

Like soup, tomato sauce is one of the dishes you're least likely to think of grilling. But there is a powerful reason to try this sauce. Beyond the mere novelty factor, grilling imparts a gutsy smoke flavor to the sauce and heightens the natural sweetness of the vegetables. Don't take just my word for it.

For thousands of years, Mexicans have grilled tomatoes, onions and peppers to make rich-tasting salsas. I have adapted the technique to make an exceptionally flavorful tomato sauce. Serve the sauce over grilled polenta, with any simple grilled fish, or with just about any cooked pasta. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

5 lucious, ripe red tomatoes 2 - 2 1/4 pounds total, cut in half crosswise, and stem ends removed
    1 medium size white onion, peeled and cut into quarters
    1 rib celery
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and skewered on a wooden toothpick or small bamboo skewer
    3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
    1 bay leaf
    6 fresh basil leaves
    coarse salt (Kosher or Sea salt)
    freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 to 3/4 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water

Cook the tomatoes, onions, celery and garlic in greased and preheated grill (George Foreman grill) until nicely browned. You may need to cook the vegetables in more than one batch. Transfer the grilled vegetables and let cool. Finely chop the onions, celery and garlic by hand or in a food processor. If using a food processor, run machine in spurts. Heat olive oil in large non-reactive sauce pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, celery and garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes and bay leaf and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Coarsely puree tomatoes and juices with the basil in a food processor. Add the tomato mixture to the sauce pan,
    with the vegetables. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then let sauce simmer gently until thick and richly flavored 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. The sauce should be thick but pourable. If it is too thick, add a little stock or water. Remove and discard the bay leaf. The sauce can be refrigerated, covered up to 4 days. Or frozen for up to 2 months. Let the sauce come to room temperature then reheat it in a non-reactive sauce pan over medium heat, stirring often.

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

TOMATO CROWN FISH

1 1/ 2 cups water
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 1/ 2 lbs. cod fillet
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 large tomatoes, sliced 1/ 4 inch thick
    1/ 2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
    2 Tbs. finely chopped onion
    1/ 4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1/ 2 tsp. dried basil
    1 Tbs. olive oil

Combine water and lemon juice. Pour over fish fillets and let stand 30 minutes. Drain fillets. Place fish in a single layer in an oiled baking dish. Season with pepper (and salt, if desired). Place tomato slices on fish and sprinkle with green pepper and onion. Combine bread crumbs, basil and oil, blending well. Spread seasoned crumb mixture evenly over tomatoes. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 25 minutes or until fish is firm and flakes easily with a fork. Serves 4

• LandArc
    18 years ago

Barb,
    The grilled tomato sauce is a good one. I ran across his recipe previously. The flavor os smoke and grilling added to soups and sauces is always an interesting way to add depth of flavor.

Great recipes and so much posting work.

Bob

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Tex-Mex Cobbler in the Dutch Oven

2 tablespoons oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
    1 (20 oz) can enchilada sauce, green or red
    1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained

Topping:
    1 package cornbread mix
    1 egg
    2/3 cup milk
    1 cup shredded cheese, Mexican style 4 cheese blend
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided

In a 12-inch cast iron dutch oven, heat oil. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add chicken, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, and black beans. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a medium bowl, combine cornbread mix, egg and milk, stirring until smooth. Fold in cheese and 1/4 cup cilantro. Drop spoonfuls onto bubbling meat mixture. Cook at 400 degrees (17 coals top, 8 coals bottom) until cornbread dumplings are done, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serves 4-6

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Green Tomato Salsa

5 cups chopped green tomatoes
    1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapeños
    4 cups chopped onions
    1 Tbsp ground cumin*
    3 Tbsp oregano leaves *
    1 Tbsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes

• CoursesWeb
    11 years ago

Three tomatoes, a cucumber, a green pepper, an onion.
    Slice the vegetables, mix with 2 tablespoons oil and cheese cut into cubes.
    bon appetit