Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I apply fertilizer AND bone meal??

Posted by kathleeen (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 13:17

Hello all. I just planted my tomatoes (all are 12-18 inches tall). A few plants last year had blossom end rot so I started reading on how to prevent again this year. I failed to add bone meal prior to planting. So what now? Should I sprinkle on bone meal around each plant and gently work into the soil a couple of inches deep? And approx how much bone meal per plant?

Secondly, another box on the fertilizer shelf says its for tomatoes and vegetables...should I use this IN ADDITION to the bone meal?

Just curious...why did only a few plants last year get BER when they were all in the same soil? I think it was just the roma tomatoes, so maybe BER only affects certain varieties???

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I apply fertilizer AND bone meal??

Hi Kathleen,

What you experienced, I think, is brown bottom disease. This is caused by not enough calcium in the soil, so bone meal would be the appropriate additive. You may also want to try collecting egg shells before planting, then grind up to add to soil. Shells work very well, and they're a simple way to improve your situation. Happy Gardening:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here