Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knightstick

What animal eats ripe tomatoes?

knightstick
15 years ago

I am totally perplexed about a problem I am experiencing with my tomatoes. I have harvested an exceptional crop this year. I have noticed that something has been taking bites on my ripe tomatoes. Upon examination of the damaged veggies, I have discovered teeth marks. The animal will only eat the ripe tomatoes...never the green ones. It has the ability to climb to reach the tomatoes if necessary and knock the plants & stakes down. The animal likes to eat at night also.

Today I was weeding my flower bed, I noticed a hole in the ground behind the plants. The hole is about 4 inches in diameter. There was no dirt to indicate any type of digging. The hole was approximately 3 inches from the foundation of the house (no basement). When I went to the tomato garden, I noticed another hole exactly like the one in the flower bed! I saw rather large paw prints through the garden. The only structure between the two holes is my home. I know tarpens will eat plants but I don't think they live underground. Moles live underground, but I thought they ate grub worms & spent time making tunnels making a mess of the yard! I can't imagine a mole climbing a 6 foot tomato plant to eat a red tomato!

If anyone has any idea what this animal may be, please let me know. I have never experienced anything like this before!

Comments (30)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi Knightstick,

Welcome to Garden Web, and The Tomato Forum.

I'd suggest you asking on the Discussion side of the forum. This side is for (off topic) Conversations, and there haven't been many of those for some time now. The link to Discussions is found at the top and to the right of the list of threads.

Sue...an unofficial member of the Unofficial Garden web welcome Wagon

• gardenphrog
    15 years ago

My experience has been that squirrels love tomatoes! I wish, though, that they'd not be so wasteful and only take one or two bites out of them. I see several half-eaten tomatoes in our yard each week during the growing season.

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

RATS!

I've had the exact same experience. The guy behind me grows avocados and the fruit rats love them. Seems they need a little tomato taste to complete their meal, so they hop over to my side of the fence and eat the bottoms out of the very best tomatoes.

The cure? I have a small optical tool -- with cross hairs! I haven't seen one yet that can run faster than 1400 feet per second. That's how fast the little lead thing goes I send their way to chase after them!

Of course, the BANG scares off the rest of the crew, so I can only "manage" them one at a time. They're gluttons for punishment though; they keep coming back.

• gumby_ct
    12 years ago

The holes sound like Groundhogs/Woodchucks. When thirsty they take 1 bite out of each ripe tomato. Sound right?

1. Put out some water for the chucks.
    2. Find a store (HD) that sells the smoke bombs for Woodchuck & other rodents. The hardest part is finding their hole(s), you've done that.

Wait til sundown so you know they are in and then cover the holes
    1. so the smoke doesn't get out
    2. so you know if anything has left the den.

fwiw - there is usu. a whole family of these rodents, so getting one really does nothing.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

This animal at the end of my arms

• tominflorida
    12 years ago

My guess would be rats or squirrels. If a rat I would try a couple of glue traps with some string or fishing line tied to a stake so that the trap doesn't get carried off somehow. Last year I had birds (I suspect) pecking holes in my ripe tomatoes. Research told me to put water out for the birds to drink but I feared that would attract more birds and they would still be attracted to the tomatoes.

• tinkertom
    11 years ago

I have that for the first time ever this year. They attack the big red (or just turning red in one spot) "Mortgage Maker" tomatoes which are about 4-5" dia right now, only the ones near the ground so far but they ripen first anyway. I am sprinkling sulfer powder on the ground, putting out water for them, and most of all I check daily and pick the ones just starting to turn before they get deep soft red. Putting them in a paper bag in the house lets them ripen fully without being eaten. They do try to bite green ones too but with little reward. Last year was the hottest of any state ever in Oklahoma but this year looks to make up for it. Everything lush.

• Debbie721
    9 years ago

What animal eats only the red ripe tomatoes. These bites are big. Not rabbit or squirrel size. Today while looking at the deck I saw a big animal in the bush outside of the deck. It was big. Didn't look to be a raccoon but as big as one. It looked like it was trying to either get on the deck or back down this tall leafy weed. This creature looked big enough to take the big bites out of the red tomatoes. What is it and how do I get rid of it? Thanks for your help!

• beltondeneen
    6 years ago

My tomatoes are in raised beds. I set out four glue traps close to my semi ripe tomatoes and bird feathers were on one and one trap was gone. I then realized who the culprits were.

• gorbelly
    6 years ago

Birds make messy, jagged holes in almost exclusively ripe fruit (from stabbing at them with their beaks). They find the fruit by color and almost never bother green-when-ripe varieties.

Rodents often leave visible marks from their teeth. They mostly scout out ripening fruit by smell.

Any chunks taken out of fruit that has very smooth margins, almost surgical looking, in both green and ripe fruit will be the work of caterpillars. If the damage is extensive over a lot of area on large fruit, look for the "sixpack frass" that gives away the presence of a hornworm.

• drmbear Cherry
    6 years ago

Definitely groundhogs, with the large holes.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    6 years ago

My eaten tomatoes are four feet off the ground, and visible from above. Clearly birds. These birds don't quite make messy jagged holes. They peck at one place, and the hole expands as it deepens. Edges of the hole aren't smooth, but they are pretty round.

• gorbelly
    6 years ago

Debbie721, groundhogs get surprisingly large.

• drmbear Cherry
    6 years ago
    If birds, make sure they have access to water.
  • stevie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

either the birds in my area don't like tomatoes or are dumb because i've seen them walk right by tomatoes that had fallen off the plant.

there are plenty of things you can spray around the plants or even on them to deter animals.. peppermint oil, garlic, cinnamon, thyme, etc..a lot of these can be found premade in lowes/hd. peppermint/garlic is probably most effective against rodents.. don't know if it will work with birds..

believe it or not, but you can also try inflatable garden predators such as snakes and lay them around. even fake decoy birds like an owl might also work keeping birds and rodents away.
    http://amzn.to/2rpfgrQ
    http://amzn.to/2smtyyF
    the owls head even rotates ;)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    6 years ago

Mine have been eaten by birds, on occasions. I know deer, coons and few other animals like ripe tomatoes too.

Sey

• PupillaCharites
    6 years ago

Birds only hit my tomatoes when they are red and we are in a dry spell. Even then, they hit a few and then mysteriously stop. I've started assuming that this is because whatever species of bird, it is attracted to the red color, thirsty and tries a few, and then assume it gives the bird an ulcer, and my pest bird species learns to avoid tomatoes by negative reinforcement.

Cheers

PC

• Matthew Gandin
    6 years ago

My Boston Terrier has the the taste for blood, as soon as a tomato ripens, she pounces, no unsupervised time in The backyard during tomato season!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am not an animal, I am a human being!

But I eat ripe tomatoes. Had my first two SS 100s of the year just yesterday :-)

• holleytall
    5 years ago

My deck is on the second story of my split level house with steps up to it. I set 2 tomatoes on the deck yesterday as I walked by and forgot to carry them into the house last night. This morning I noticed one of the good sized tomatoes half eaten at the top of the steps and the other tomato had teeth marks in it. I’m wondering what could have eaten that much tomato on my deck. Shelly

• gumby_ct
    5 years ago

Do you have squirrels?

• Labradors
    5 years ago

Chipmunks eat them on my deck - grrrr! I've been finding half-eaten greenies :(.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    5 years ago

If you have an animal problem, pick the tomatoes at the first blush of pink. Place them on a plate in the house, out of the sun. They will ripen there and be delicious.

Just before frost, I pick every green tomato and ripen them indoors that way.

• gumby_ct
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

fwiw, I have deer that eat green tomatoes along with the branches. But up on the deck that won't be Holly's problem.

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

Another vote for squirrels. Raccoons also get to mine that are on the second story deck.

Dave

• Boris Zakharin
    5 years ago

Aren't squirrels color blind? They sure never discriminated between ripeness stages of my tomatoes last year.

• holleytall
    5 years ago

We don’t have many squirrels in our area. I didn’t have the gate closed on the deck so not sure if chippy or raccoon. Thanks for answers.

• Kevin Henderson
    3 years ago

Groundhog

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks
    3 years ago

Chipmunk

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County