Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn137

Anyone Know Winfixer 2005?

carolyn137
18 years ago

I happened to be up and on the computer at about 2 AM this morning when a window appeared, titled something like Internet Explorer Winfixer 2005, or close to that.

It intimated that there were dire problems that needed ASAP fixing so I downloaded it and it did a short scan, nothing like the time it takes to do an anti-virus or adware/spyware scan and then said I needed to register and for $39.95 all my computer problems would be solved. Sigh.

So I said to myself, why am I paying money when if there are problems it should be AOL, which is my ISP, if you will, that should be solving any problems.

And I haven't had any problems.

Yes, I know that IE runs in the background and yes, I know that a version of MS runs AOL as well as IE, but I now have an icon on the tabletop and one on the lower right near my antivirus one and MS anti adware/spyware and music, etc.

When I logged on this AM, meaning now, it tried to scan again and I stopped it and continued logging on to AOL.

I don't know how to delete icons/programs, and I don't really care if they remain, but I wanted to ask you computer savvy folks if any of you know about this Winfixer 2005 program.

Carolyn, not seeing why she should be paying $39.95 to register it when she hasn't had problems and is starting to doubt that she might in the future even tho that very short scan reported all sorts of things wrong that I don't understand at all, as in invalid this and that and more.

Comments (14)

• suze9
    18 years ago

I happened to be up and on the computer at about 2 AM this morning when a window appeared, titled something like Internet Explorer Winfixer 2005, or close to that.

It intimated that there were dire problems that needed ASAP fixing so I downloaded it and it did a short scan

Don't ever respond to those sort of popups.

Next time that fella that does stuff on your PC comes out, mention it so he can remove it.

Here is a link that might be useful: just say no to winfixer

• carolyn137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Don't ever respond to those sort of popups.

I haven't before but I guess I was half asleep and it looked so darn official.

Although downloaded it can't be activated unless I register and pay the $40 I guess, so I'll just leave it alone and when it pops up and says register to activate it I'll just hit ignore as I did this morning.

(Next time that fella that does stuff on your PC comes out, mention it so he can remove it.

I'll call Wayne tomorrow and ask him what he thinks I ought to do but for now I don't think it can do anything unless I register it, or it wouldn't keep popping up reminding me to hit scan now, which I know ends with a money pitch for full scanning.

I fully admit I'm not computer savvy. Born too early, I guess, and just use it as a casual personal tool.

Thanks Suze.

Carolyn

• mikeincypress
    18 years ago

Carolyn,
    Go to Control Panel on the start menu. Scroll down to Add or Remove programs. click, wait until screen is populated by what is on you computer. Then scroll down to Winfixer 2005. Click on remove and follow the prompts. Shazam - most of the program including the icons should disappear.

Michael

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Yes, delete it. I'm no computer nerd but things like that can bring serious viruses with them.
    It's a jungle out there!

• suze9
    18 years ago

Go to Control Panel on the start menu. Scroll down to Add or Remove programs. click, wait until screen is populated by what is on you computer. Then scroll down to Winfixer 2005. Click on remove and follow the prompts. Shazam - most of the program including the icons should disappear.

I don't see any harm in attempting to delete it through 'add/remove programs'. It will either work or not, but wouldn't hurt C's computer.

However, I suspect that she will find that it will perhaps appear to temporarily disappear, but still be there upon rebooting the computer. Likely, someone is going to need to manually edit the registry file to get rid of it for good.

• carolyn137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My AOL scan that ran at 11AM Eastern picked it up and blocked it and categorized it as a "nuisance" type.

So Michael, I thank you for your advice and will do what you say later today, knowing it's now blocked. I'm packing tomato seeds for Israel today and want to get a certain number done while I'm in the mood, if you know what I mean.

It was picked up as adware/spyware by AOL and I'll see what my MS adware/spyware beta version that runs at 2 PM says as well.

It was not picked up by my AVG anti-virus program that runs at 8 AM and that Wikepedia link Suze gave said it isn't clear if it's adware, spyware and/or viral, but so far looks non-viral and I just checked the AVG test results to be sure they were clean this AM, and they were. And this AM I had already checked to be sure that there were no updates for AVG. It runs if the computer is on, but can't update unless I'm logged on to the internet. Most of the time I'm on the internet by 8 AM and it updates automatically at 8:08 AM, while still scanning, but when I'm not on the internet at 8 AM then I have to prompt it to do so when I log on to the internet.

I'm glad I download all the updates from AVG and AOL, and I think the MS one updates itself without my having to do it manually.

Sigh! LOL

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Could it be that simple?

I have Windows XP.

I went to Start up, clicked on programs and there it was with three entries, one of which was uninstall Winfixer 2005, so I clicked and in less than 30 sec it said gone, and did I want to reboot then, to which I said yes.

Both icons are gone, no Winfixer window on the desktop when it rebooted and I turned it off again b'c when I turn off the computer there's been this window I've never seen before, that came , it seems obvious now, with Winfixer and says something about temporary files. That window was gone when it turned off and no Winfixer once again when I rebooted the second time.

So everything seems gone as of now, and time will tell if it stays gone.

I have learned my lesson, yes I have, and thank you all so much.

If it pops up again I'll call Wayne.

Carolyn

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

May I suggest that you go ahead and ask Wayne to take a look at your computer. Some of those danged things are really hard to get rid of.
    I am not a computer geek myself, but have learned a little, spending many hours on them etc. etc.
    It kinda sounds like it still resides in your start up menu. If you are using XP, you can go to the start in the lower left of the screen, click on that, find "Run" and click on that. When it brings a little window, there will be some info in the blank where you can back that out and type the word msconfig and that will take you to a page where the programs that are set to start when your computer is booted up. If the nuisance program is there, uncheck the box and then click apply. That will sometimes get rid of them starting up again on boot or reboot.
    Wayne could probably tell you. Good luck.
    Bill P.

P.S. I just copied a detail bunch of instructions from someone on another forum about how to get rid of all those pop ups, floating ads and all the totally aggravating GW stuff, which I could post if anyone wants it.
    Or, click on the link below to read the whole thread, when you scroll down to a posting that has some bold print at the top of the message that says ONCE AND FOR ALL. HOW TO STOP THE G.W. ONSLAUGHT! It has instructions for different operating systems. I was resistant to try the firefox browser instead of IE, for quite awhile because I get tired of changing and learning new things, but I am really glad that I finally did. There was practically no learning involved and I still Have IE, Netscape and Firefox in my tool bar, but overtime have evolved to using Firefox on most things, may set it as my default browser. There is some info about that in the thread too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread mentioned above

• gflynn
    18 years ago

Carolyn,

I have a free program called "Spybot-search and destroy 1.4". It will likely remove and remnient of this program. This link will allow you to download it for free.

http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10401314.html

I have used it and it was recomended by my network adminstrator. After you install it you need to get updates. Some of the sites will have them and others won't try all the mirror sites to get all the updates.

Greg

• carolyn137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Some of the sites will have them and others won't try all the mirror sites to get all the updates

Greg, this part I don't quite understand, so please elaborate. Multiple sites?

I haven't seen a trace of it since yesterday when I uninstalled it, and neither did my beta version of MS spyware/adware that ran yesterday after the AOL one that picked it up, and my AVG this AM didn't see anything either.

I'm planning on calling Wayne today to get his opinion as well. He's the network administrator for about 300 computers at a kindergarten thru HS public school and as he's said, it's challenging b'c kids will download almost anything. LOL

He also worked elsewhere in the computer industry before taking this job b'c it was closer to where he lives. I'm jsut glad he does some private work on the side, but as of three years ago he's stopped taking on new folks b'c he's full up.

Will post here when he gets back to me which isn't always ASAP unless I say so on the message I leave, and at this point I don't see it as being an ASAP situation.

Carolyn

• gflynn
    18 years ago

If you indeed download SpyBot it has to be updated with the lastest lists of spy and addware. When it first comes up after being installed it has 3 big buttons. The first is "Update". When you press it you will see it give you a list of possible updates. I would just check all of them and then hit the "update now" button. Some of the updates may not be successfully downloaded. You will notice that it gives you options to download from more then one location (mirror sites). You can change the location and try the update again. Eventually you will get everything thats new and then you can hit the button that says "Search for Problems" After the problems are identified you can hit the "Fix Problems" button and your good-to-go.

SpyBot is exactly what you thought you were downloading at 2 am. The only difference is that it really is an Adware, Spyware remover :-)

Network administators have many tools. This is just one of then and its free, not $39.95

After running it you may find that you have many bits of Adware and Spyware. There is little harm in using it because it is not an option of last resort but rather harmless.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas,

Greg

• carolyn137
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, an update and those of you who thought that something might be left behind when I uninstalled it were right.

I saw nothing until this afternoon when for a brief moment one of the Winfixer windows appeared. So I immediately went to my MS antispyware and sure enough it had detected it. I asked it to remove rather than quarantine and that was done successfully.

I then wondered how successfully and called Wayne. All he said when I told him Winfaxer was "Oh Jesus" ! LOL

What he had me do was to do a restore and go back to last Thursday and we did it together and it was successful, so everything is as it was before the fated event.

He said he'd had to clean up this program from several computers and that my sucessful restore was good b'c if left in the machine it could get into the registry files.

He also told me that if I'd anted up the 30.95 they asked for I would have been in fine shape b'c they fix the computer when you do that. LOL

I asked him about Spybot and he said he preferred that I keep the MS beta as well as my AOL spyware and that with the AVG , which he thinks highly of, if I add much more it's going to really slow down the computer and would not be good for the computer.

My MS beta is up in 5 days so I went to the MS site for that and will download the newest version, which takes me to next July, sometime tomorrow b'c I've had it with computers for the day. Besides, Wayne says it takes about a half hour to download and my patience is wanting right now.

Eventually MS will charge for this antispyware/adware program, but for now it's free, but no support, etc, but they do have a message center where folks who have it can work out any problems. It updates automatically but does not display test results so you have to check from time to time.

I have everything running every day as to my detection systems.

He also said that the war between new spy and adware programs and viruses against anti-this and that is one that we the consumers are not winning, which will not surprise any of you.

So I'm clean, so to speak with the restoration back to last Thursday, and he made me swear to NEVER do anything like that again. LOL

He knew my brother and family before me, and that's the connection and how I got him to be my computer guy and so we talked this and that as well. He's become a friend, and I'm glad for that. And no, he doesn't charge me unless he has to come to the house, but this is the first, no, the second time we've been able to fix things just over the phone. The other time Windows XP did something strange and I couldn't shut off the computer and he said that XP sometimes does that.

Carolyn

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Yes, I've had XP refuse to shut off - but I'm not going to let any machine tell me what to do, so I just pull the plug.
    Or, rather, I turn off the UPS from which the machine gets its power.
    I'm sure that just pulling the plug is not the approved response but I lose patience with the thing very easily.
    And so far nothing grim has happened when I do that.

• Sherrytomato
    18 years ago

The last time mine wouldn't shut down, the tech support guy told me to hold in the off button. I told him I'd done that, and he said I just hadn't done it long enough. Sure enough it shut off after several loooong seconds.

Sherry

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz