Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigcheef

Santa Claus / Old Saint RIK

bigcheef
18 years ago

That's right tomato fans.

I will try to fill the very big shoes of Santa Claus today!

Our company is involved with the Dee Dee Wallace Foundation, which is an organization that helps kids with emotional disabilities by providing special care and education. Some of these kids have had it pretty bad. I am amazed at how resilient they are considering the things they have been through. We try to provide them with an alternate outlook from the one they have at home. During the year, we go over once a month and read books to the kids and each Christmas, we divide them up amongst the various departments and buy them each $100-$150 worth of toys. The toys are tied up into big bags and the kids come over to our training facility to open their gifts. Of course someone has to play the part of Santa.

This will be my first time playing Santa, and I couldn't be more excited. We always go over to play with the kids when they open presents, but I think being Santa will be even more fun. I get to be a kid myself this year....well a kid in a big red suit with a beer belly ;~)

So wish me luck gang, with all of your might

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

RIK

Comments (15)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Wishing you luck and tons of fun! Don't lose your beard!

Would you please try and get some pics of Santa and the little ones?...if it's not too late.

sue

• jimster
    18 years ago

It's good to hear of that, RIK. Congratulations for the good work you are doing. Sounds like you are built for the part. That's good too.

Jim

• bigcheef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well it's over.

The kids have come and gone with lots of presents and hopefully lots of Christmas cheer. I was just about to post pics, but realized I left my san-disk reader at the house (Bummer!). Just check back tomorrow and I should have some up.

Overall, it was really great to be able to pose as Santa. I was afraid that the kids would catch on that the hair and beard were fake, but ony one of them tried to pull by bead down. After I made my entrance and sang some Christmas songs, the kids got to open their presents (the best part for me). I love to watch the look on their faces when they open a box containing something they really like. Just makes you feel good.

I'll have to say the job was tougher than I thought. A couple of the kids just asked if I would visit their house this year :..( All I could say is, "I will do my best". I couldn't think of anything else. I didn't want to say "yes" and be the reason they were dissapointed on Christmas.

As I said, stay tuned for the pics, and feel free to share any Christmas experience in this thread, Santa poser or otherwise.

RIK

• griley
    18 years ago

RIK, What fun for you and the kids! I can't wait to see the pictures. There's no little ones in my immediate family and I love any opportunity I can to see the looks on kids faces when they open their gifts. Thanks for sharing.

I'm in charge of our nursing unit's Adopt-a-Family program this year. We've adopted a family of 7...a single mom with 6 kids aged 6-16. On their wish list they asked for a t.v. among other things. I first thought "Oh boy:(" But, after things got rolling I found that a lot of my co-workers didn't want to shop and donated some money to let me do the shopping. Well, we raised enough to purchase a 27" television and a DVD player. Plus, many of the girls shopped and actually purchased a gift for each member of the family so that everyone will have something to open.

I had to call the coordinator of the project to ask if there would be someone available to help me carry the television into the center when I drop the gifts off tomorrow. I thought she was going to have a heart attack when she heard we bought a television. That, in itself, was worth participating in this program! I really didn't know how inexpensive t.v.s are these days if they're not flat screened or plasma. We even had money left over for some dvd's. That was tough trying to pick those out...I don't know what kids would like to watch so I got: E.T., The Wizard of Oz, Home Alone and Pochahontas...safe, family shows. Can you tell how excited I am about this!? I hope they like their gifts.

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

Bless all of you who have the Christmas spirit and are able to participate to make things better for others. That is a lot of what it is all about, and I hope that you are not restricted to keeping Christ out of Christmas! Everyone is better off from your efforts.
    Bill P.

• bigcheef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It was great to be able to do this for the kids and I have some good pics to share. Unfortunately I have had some technical dificulty today, so it could be until Monday before I am able to have the pictures posted.(usb cable seems to be the problem)

Will post pics ASAP,

RIK

• earlystart
    18 years ago

the was a famous news paper article the that prove santa existed.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

We're all lookin' forward to seeing those happy kids with big smiles in your photos, RIK.

Bill

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

And you definitely need to make greeting cards from the photos for next year, RIK.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Hey, RIK, how about those pics ... (not really buggin' you, just tryin' to keep it up on the screen).

• bigcheef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok guys,

I finally have some pics for ya:

• bigcheef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

• bigcheef
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And of course the "big kids" had to sit on Santa's lap as well.
    Thanks to this lovely lady, we have the above pictures to enjoy. She's a good one. I may just have to pop the question before she gets away! ;~ )

• worth1
    18 years ago

RIK
    Great pictures!!!!
    Helping others is the best way to remind us of how fortunate we are.
    You and the others really made those kids day.

All of you guy are truly blessed.
    What a great way to start Christmas, ((((((Merry Christmas to all of you.))))))

Worth

• griley
    18 years ago

RIK,
    Those are great pictures. I've got a big grin on my face. I love the little girl in the first picture. You make a fine Santa, too! Thank you so much for posting these pictures...you made my day.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler