Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bully_gw

5 people you would like to have lunch with

bully
18 years ago

They have to be currently living otherwise it might not be very appetizing.

1)George Foreman

2)Sarah Ferguson (I bet she has some real good catty stories about the Queen and the like)

3) Grub (I've been reading some of his articles on NSW and boats and lunch on boats and boating in general and looking at the pictures, I have to get the hell out of Detroit before this winter kills me..LOL)

4)Evan S. Connell (one of my favorite writers)

I'm going to hold back on the 5th one till I've read a few of yours.

Comments (47)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Time for three...

(1) Grub (I'm stealin' your #3). I bet it would be a total hoot. Or even Earl, but only if he promises to take his sweetening pills first :p

(2) My mother in law. I don't get to see her that often as she lives in another state. She's one of the smartest, strongest, most upbeat people I know.

(3) My best bud Anthony.

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

Dr. Carolyn, I would be honored. It would be a long lunch.

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

Sorry, forgot about the other four. Tiki Barber, Adolph Hitler, Garth Brooks, and of course Ted nugent.

• Meg514
    18 years ago

The first 4 would be people I like/respect/am intrigued by:
    1. Bruce Springsteen
    2. the Dalai Lama
    3. J.K. Rowling
    4. Jon Stewart
    and who are we kidding? I'd just get all shy and blushy anyway.
    For the 5th, to spice things up, I'd pick some person that I seem unlikely to get along with. For, example: Henry Kissinger, Drew Rosenhaus, Paris Hilton, Bill O'Reilly. See what they have to say....

• gflynn
    18 years ago

1. Jesus
    2. His mom
    3. Warren Caroll
    4. John Harden
    5. William Most

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

They have to be currently living otherwise it might not be very appetizing.

Hey folks, Bully said they have to be currently living and unless some of you know something I don't know about some of your selections, we've got some interesting mysteries going on here and about, as in Elvis lives. LOL

Carolyn, who hasn't thought this out yet as to her selections.

• gflynn
    18 years ago

Currently living? That makes it more tough. So I guess I am just leaft with Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears. ;-)

Ok then
    1. The loud infomercial guy that advertises health equipment.
    2. The loud infomercial guy that has a green suit with question marks on it
    3. Martha Stewart but in the jail cafeteria
    4. The runnaway bride.
    5. Joey Buttafuco

Hows that :-)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

In no particular order

Robin Williams...just for fun
    Dr Phil....also just for fun
    Frazier...more fun
    Red Green...for a really good time
    Hyacinth Bucket...Just because she is who she is!

Sue

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

OOOOPs...Dave Letterman should have been in there somewhere too.

Maybe John Mellencamp too.

Sue

• hortist
    18 years ago

First:

"* Posted by: hedwarr z5 (My Page) on Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 16:08
    Dr. Carolyn, I would be honored. It would be a long lunch."

Carolyn needs five chairs???
    People better stop sending her chocolate!

I'd prefer one on ones and not 5 people at the same time.

I see some mentioned I thought "yah" but I would be spitting my food out too much during Robin Williams.

The only one that I have thought about specifically for conversation and experience (and people would recognize) is Kurt Vonnegut.

My other idea was to invite:

Anne Coulter
    Rush Limbaugh
    Bill O'Reilly
    Robert Novak
    and
    Michael "autism is just an excuse so parents can milk school systems for money" Savage

to an outdoor Cafe in Gaza conveniently located in front of a bus stop for what Im sure would be quite the bombastic bit of banter.

I of course plan to arrive VERY late.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Dr C & Craig, Fusion, Snoozy, D, Bully, Earl, Duane, Finbar (he can cook like a demon), Spatz and PP (gorg. gigglers), Tony, Rosco, Glenn, Korney, all the Toms, Worth coz he's snowed in, Mrs Justice, Chook (five table settings), Martin, Pete the Greek... gawd, how can you make it five? I'm gonna do burgers on the barbie for 25. Happy NY!

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

1- My bilogical mom ,who I havn't seen sense I was 5.I'd have lots of questions.
    2-Clint Eastwood.
    3-Dwight Yoakam,Yes I know he's pretty much bald under that hat but I swear even with out it he just makes me tingle.
    4-My dad,I just had a visit from him in september but I miss him already.
    5-My first love ,who also still makes me tingle.

Ann.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

"* Posted by: hedwarr z5 (My Page) on Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 16:08
    Dr. Carolyn, I would be honored. It would be a long lunch."

Carolyn needs five chairs???
    People better stop sending her chocolate!

Now Keith , that was indeed a very low blow.

Not only b'c Hedwarr then posted:

(Sorry, forgot about the other four. Tiki Barber, Adolph Hitler, Garth Brooks, and of course Ted nugent)

But b'c since Oct 9th I've worked very hard and persevered to lose almost 40# so if the repaired quad muscle behaves the surgeon can consider putting in the new left hip this summer so I might have a chance of walking again, and even before losing all that weight, and I want to lose maybe 20 more #, I fit into ONE CHAIR quite nicely, thank you. ( smile)

Carolyn, who once again would ask folks to not use Dr. Carolyn as my name, my professional career is over and I'm retired: I'm Carolyn as I sign all my posts. Thanks.

• hortist
    18 years ago

Hey I wasn't the one giving you five chairs!

Id say 2. One for your backside and one to put your feet up on. I dont know anything about your weight - just joking as usual.

I suspect the REAL low blow was the "dont send chocolate" comment? ;)

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

Sorry Carolyn, I certainly did not mean to offend you especially or anyone else. I kinda read through the original post rather quickly and did'nt pick up on the "five" people. Also my other four picks would be rather interesting being that Tiki, Garth and Ted are my personal heroes. As for Adolph, I'm just curious.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Hey I wasn't the one giving you five chairs!
    Id say 2. One for your backside and one to put your feet up on. I dont know anything about your weight - just joking as usual.

I suspect the REAL low blow was the "dont send chocolate" comment? ;)

Oh thank you kind Keith for giving me the two chairs only. LOL

Chocolate? Right now I'm living vicariously through others to whom I gave 1 and 2# boxes of chocolate this Xmas, from my fave choco place. And hidden away is my winter stash of superb choco which I had before I started this strict diet on Oct 9th, stuff like Scharffenberger, Valhrona, El Rey, Guittard and friends.

My time will come again, belive me.

Oh yes, my medical progress and weight loss and diet are all chronicled in the thread here titled Carolyn's Health, where folks ask what's up, and then I answer. (smile)

Hedwarr, you didn't offend me in any way whatsoever and I'd love to have lunch with you and it WOULD be a LONG lunch. LOL

Keith and I have bantered back and forth for many years, so that's the story there. Actually he loves me, and I love him, but I guess not enough for me to send him a copy of my book, which I said I'd do, and can't until I order more, and I haven't done that yet.

Carolyn

• hortist
    18 years ago

Indeed, I love you enough to support your diet and not send these yummy chocolates.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Indeed, I love you enough to support your diet and not send these yummy chocolates.

WHAT yummy chocolates?????

For heaven's sake Keith, send'em and I'll give them the once over so called "lick" test and I solemnly promise I'll have someone hide them with my winter stash of good choc.LOL

Carolyn, who would be SHOCKED at getting something from Keith, whether it be cutting edge seeds from his endeavors or Chocolates, or both. LOL PS, I once knew a good place in KC where the chocos are imported directly from I think Germany or Belgium, can't remember which. Equisite cream fillings with molded shapes.

• canadiantomato
    18 years ago

If the original question allows for 5 lunches with a different person each time then my choices (for the moment) would include:

Ram Dass, the one and only person I've met who simply radiates serenity and pureness of spirit, a huge aura of goodness that is beyond words

Wendell Berry
    Vandana Shiva
    Deborah Madison
    Yo Yo Ma

If the original question means having lunch with all 5 people together then my choices would be:

Carolyn, Craig, Tom Wagner, Glenn Drowns, Raoul Robinson

A very difficult question, the response to which changes as I think about various interests...

Jennifer

• bully
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, one at a time, one at a time.

Picking up lunch for Fergie would probably set me back a months wages alone.

Can you imagine trying to follow a conversation with her proper British accent,Grub's Aussie speak and George Foreman? LOL..what the hell might as well invite Gov. Arnold, Stephen Hawkins and Jesse Jackson.
    *** no offense to Grub, who I'm sure speaks with a very delightful Australian dialect and sounds nothing like Steve Irwin (the crocodile hunter)***

I think Fergie may be out, I'm feeling slightly vapid after seeing people pick the Lama, the Pope, Jesus,...LOL

• canadiantomato
    18 years ago

But, Bully, look how I managed to sneak in 10 choices, hehehe.

Late substitution:
    Patch Adams (the real one) for overthetop yet thought-provoking fun. Deborah Madison can cook the lunch instead.

Jennifer, who wants to read Grub stuff too

• shesalittlebear
    18 years ago

Easy but yet so hard.

Santana
    Former President Clinton
    Tony Blair
    Larry David
    Bill Mahrs

If one was on vacation or not available:

Mexican President Vicente Fox
    Che Guevara (during the "motorcycle diary" years)

Okay a little strange, but if I could awaken the dead at least one of these would be on my list:

John Lennon

Bob Marley

My grandfather that was a German POW and a photographer for the local archbishop. He spoke many many languages and traveled all over the world. Unfortunately, he died when I was 4, so I never really got to know him.

Diego Rivera and Frieda (three lunches -one with each separately, then one together).

Rufino Tamayo (My husband and I love his work so much that we have choosen Tamayo as our son's name--if we ever have a son)

Cesar Chavez

My biological father that left us when I was two and died when I was 12.

• brainsander
    18 years ago

This is a toughy...
    Guess I'd have to narrow my chance luncheon list down to:
    1)Tom Waits- Musician, actor, producer, and overall hepcat that makes being chronocast seem far to cool!
    2)Steve Martin- To me, the quintessential renaissance man whom has done it all.
    3)Deepak Chopra-What the hell does he think he knows, that we toxin imbibing, habit laden, self-centered westerners don't know anyway?
    4)Jacob G. Hornberger- I reeaaalllyyy need an extended diatribe belittling me into believing that our marvelous country is destined for self destruction, over Belini's, and Waldorf salad.
    5)Bill Clinton-After Hornberger, I'll reeaaaalllyyy need a reminder of how great our country has been, and once again shall be!

• thedens
    18 years ago

Not very intellectual choices, I guess, but I'd have to go with my online friends, Cil, Dave, Igor, Skits, and Mark, preferably all at once. Of those, I have only personally met Cil and Dave, but that day we got together was an absolute blast.
    Incidentally, the above live in Calgary, Atlanta, New York, Australia, and South Africa, respectively. Not a likely party, I guess, but maybe someday we'll actually manage it.

Denna

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

Boy, a tough one!!!!

Carolyn - so we can meet at last!
    Pat Metheny - my guitar hero
    Gustav Mahler - my classical music hero
    my Grandfather on my mom's side - I miss him (my favorite relative), would love to discuss recent sports events with him
    Walter Cronkite - would love to get his view on how we can be going so wrong, and what we can do about it.

Ask me in an hour and I could come up with a completely different list (except for Carolyn - friends for 17 years but yet to meet in person!)

Craig

• earl
    18 years ago

Osama
    Zarkowi
    President of Iran
    President of Syria
    and one armed Marine who just lost a friend in Iraq

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

Earl, brilliant!!!!

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Ask me in an hour and I could come up with a completely different list (except for Carolyn - friends for 17 years but yet to meet in person!)

So true we've never met.

And you would be my definite choice for lunch as well.

But based on about 17 years of phone chats I dare say if we two were at lunch together there's no reason for me to invite anyone else b'c they'd never get a word in edgewise. LOL

So I won't name any others. ( smile)

Carolyn, who remembers that time when you were job interviewing in Latham, NY and were less than one mile from where I lived at the time, but it just never did work out that we could meet. Remember that? And wasn't it a Chester Opalka that you also met? LOL

• hortist
    18 years ago

"Carolyn, who would be SHOCKED at getting something from Keith, whether it be cutting edge seeds from his endeavors or Chocolates, or both. LOL PS, I once knew a good place in KC where the chocos are imported directly from I think Germany or Belgium, can't remember which. Equisite cream fillings with molded shapes."

That's was my parent's neighbor's place. She has retired but I it still goes by her name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annedora's

• hortist
    18 years ago

"Carolyn, who would be SHOCKED at getting something from Keith, whether it be cutting edge seeds from his endeavors or Chocolates, or both. LOL PS, I once knew a good place in KC where the chocos are imported directly from I think Germany or Belgium, can't remember which. Equisite cream fillings with molded shapes."

That place would be my parent's neighbor's business. I grew up next to her and I've known her for over 30 years. She makes fine chocolates but is not a personable neighbor. The other neighbor's refer to her as the "miserable old lesbian". A statement which incenses my mother.

We felt jipped as kids because she would close her door and turn off her light on halloween.

I wont be having lunch with her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annedore's Fine Chocolates

• jenna_sc
    18 years ago

Jimmy Carter
    Jon Stewart
    Fidel Castro
    Salmon Rushdie
    Jude Law (just to look at him!)

Jen

• bully
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL..I hope Mrs. Earl knows how to remove sweetbread stains.

• squeeze
    18 years ago

for carolyn, who, as little as I know her, seems to deserve the very best :)

a moderate amount of Simply Dark every day [which is available a short ferry ride away from me in 1kilogram slabs!] is what keeps my old ticker ticking - hold the sugar please!

Bill

• spyfferoni
    18 years ago

I have thought about this for days...
    I don't really care who is there with me as long as the food is good and my children are not with me. I am so glad school started again! I find myself wishing 2 yr olds went to pre-school.

I'm changing my mind, I think I would like to have lunch with Alton Brown---Can he cook lunch with me too?
    I can't think of anyone else.

Tyffanie

• shebear
    18 years ago

I'm a people watcher who likes to stir up the conversation so I'd like to have opposites or different generations. For example imagine the conversations that would happen if these people got together.

Madonna and Freud
    Susan B. Anthony and Cher
    Jack the Ripper and Ghandi
    Eistein and da Vinci
    Michelangelo and Salvador Dali
    Mick Jagger and Mozart

Also could you imagine taking people from the past on tours. Show a work processor to a medival monk. Lindberg would love a fighter jet. The world wide web to Gutenberg. How about the current US to the folks who signed the Declaration of Independence. Pasteur a current research lab...heck he'd be impressed that we licked smallpox but an electron microscope would probably keep him interested for a few hours.

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

folks i'd like to have lunch with are

jack piccolo, family friend. he is 89 now. recently traded in his honda accord with 254,000 miles on it for a newer one with only 120,000 on it. he figures it will last another 100,000. just a super nice guy.

ruth haapiniemi, was married to my wifes' distant cousin ernest who was born in the U.P. and went to the karelian republic of russia with his family as a boy. she was in the battle for leningrad during world war two. she's pretty old now too.

any one of our aussie or kiwi friends here.

christiane amanpour, i think she is a pretty gutsy journalist. we had her name picked out if our baby had been a girl.

warren buffet, how many billionaires do you know who like to have lunch at dairy queen?

keith in calumet

• Gardenmama1
    18 years ago

There are so many wonderfully interesting people out in the world these days, to choose just five was tough.
    One of these I hope becomes reality in the coming year.

1- Bill Gates- though the topic of conversation must NOT include computers in any shape or form. I'd love to hear about the Gates Foundation and what they are doing philanthropically

2- Oprah Winfrey- So wealthy, yet such a giving heart

3- Red Sox Pitcher Curt Shilling - his selflessness is inspiring especially in what he does away from the baseball field.

4- Anderson Cooper/Phil Keogh - what fascinating travelogues they must impart.

5-Craig (NCtomatoman)- just to pick his brain about tomatoes, wine, and Raleigh restaurants.

-Martha

• reginak
    18 years ago

I'll probably revise this a few times in the next few days, but here are some likely candidates:

Tony Scianella, a recent friend of mine who makes the world's finest pool cues (Black Boar), which he sells for anywhere from a few thousand to over $100k each. An absolute mad genius, laughs easily, open-hearted, much fun to be around. I love brilliant and eccentric people.

Subcomandante Marcos, the leader, inspirer, and poetic spokesman of the Zapatista movement in southern Mexico. Pretty sure he speaks English.

Gimme3Steps, lotta wisdom and spirit and has such a unique way of looking at and putting things

Bill(gonefishin), who is sort of an idealized version of my grandpa who's gone, he's like my real grandpa but better - although he's closer to my dad's age I guess. Just gives me good feelings, that guy.

My dad, although I'm sure Marcos's ski mask would irritate the hell out of him. We'll just pretend either he understands, or Marcos takes off the mask......

We'd spend lunch talking about Good Food, all this list of people appreciate food more than the ordinary person. Tony collects olive oils (and high-end vodkas), Dad is a wonderful cook who drives all over town to find the best ingredients and cooks 3 fine meals a day, every day, Marcos is deep into traditional indigenous agriculture -- maize biodiversity especially -- in place of factory farming for export, and Gimme & Bill are big into growing the best home produce. And I just LOVE to eat!

Yum

• worth1
    18 years ago

Well folks I have thought about this for a while and came up with a short list and the reasons why.

First are all of my cats and dogs.
    The cats
    Pinky Wink
    Bear Cat
    Fuzz Tail
    Foot Foot
    Precious
    Sweet Pea
    Big T
    The dogs
    Bullet Head
    Boo Boo
    They do eat with us but I just wish they could talk so I could better serve my masters.

As for people it would be.
    President Bush
    Bill Clinton
    (Both under a heavy dose of truth serum.)
    As for a real experience I would have to say.
    The Dalai Lama for some good old fashion wisdom.
    Bob Hope for the fun and entertainment.
    Edger Allen Poe For the Booze and a good story.
    Bill P (Gonefishin) because you cant learn enough from good folks that are older and wiser than you are.
    The Grubb because I have partied with the Australians and they are a good bunch to hang with and he invited me.
    Chicken Man because he is as tenacious as a bulldog and I admire that for some strange reason.
    Gimmie3steps but I think he is some famous person and thatÂs why he wonÂt divulge his identity. (LOL) just joking.

As for a large group it would be the whole bunch of you guys we could have it in Austin TX.
    It is in the center of the USA, Âas far as I am concerned, and I would not have to drive very far.

Worth

• big_mike
    18 years ago

I've looked at this thread for some time and I've finally decided; any 5 who would be willing to pick up the check!

• MrsJustice
    18 years ago

Dr C & Craig, Fusion, Snoozy, D, Bully, Earl, Duane, Finbar (he can cook like a demon), Spatz and PP (gorg. gigglers), Tony, Rosco, Glenn, Korney, all the Toms, Worth coz he's snowed in, Mrs Justice, Chook (five table settings), Martin, Pete the Greek... gawd, how can you make it five? I'm gonna do burgers on the barbie for 25. Happy NY! The Grub from Sydney

My Reply:

Dear Grub

It was nice of you to include me on your list.

(How can you make it five? Grub)

You are right, I would love to have dinner with everyone on this forum, and introduce my cherry tomato burger.

• bpfahnl_nh
    18 years ago

Your lists have inspired me:

Ellen Degeneres
    sub-comandante Marcos, good one!
    Theo Epstein
    Rick Bayless (I'd hope he would prepare the meal)
    Elaine Tyler May (hard to believe it's been over 20 yrs since I was her undergraduate student!)

I too, would likely think of five different amazing people if asked again on another day. Anyone with passion, integrity, a sense of humor and a social conscious! (and a good appetite of course)

• malonanddonna
    18 years ago

After two solid weeks on my diet and 9 pounds gone, my five would be:

Mayor McCheese
    Grimace
    Ronald McDonald
    Hamburglar
    The Fry Kids

I think I'm jonesing for grease!

• sorellina
    18 years ago

I love taboo subjects like religion and politics at the same time:

Dalai Lama
    Bono from U2
    Hillary Clinton
    Jack Layton
    Gerhard Shröder

Pity Peter Jennings is no longer with us..he'd be on my list as well. Rudi Giuliani also if I had an extra chair.

Julianna

• reginak
    18 years ago

Bono -- Good one, Julianna. I'd add him to my list too.

• jabulaza
    18 years ago

Nelson Mandela
    Charlize Theron
    Lance Armstrong (7 times Tour de France winner)
    Linus Torvelds.
    Nadine Gordimer (1991 Nobel Laureate in Literature)

I think that would make for a nice rounded list.
    A politicion and joint winner of the 1991 nobel peace price and some would consider his face the most recognised face in the world.
    An actress and Academy award winner for her role in "Monster".
    A Sportsman and cancer survivor that reached the top level in his chosen sport rewriting the record books.
    An IT boffin that almost single handedly started the linux Operating system.
    And a writer.

Dave

• Miss_Mudcat
    18 years ago

Okay, I can only do this in categories:

1st) Near and dear to my heart: I am so lucky to have lunch every weekend and even some weekdays with my 5 most favorite people in the world: My DH and our 4 darling children ages 9, 8, 5, and 3.

2nd) From the tomato forum: Carolyn (We all want to meet you - my 9 year old is reading your book - we hope to create our own family heirloom); Bully (cause his posts make me laugh till my sides hurt - particularly the "Introducing Sad Sac"!); Earl (who I look forward to meeting at CHOPTAG - your answer to this question was best of all!); Fusion from Alabama (cause I used to live not too far from your home town); and Craig (because I am still amazed at your seed-starting set-up).

3rd) Famous people: Honestly, I can't think of any... tick, tock... tick, tock.... Hollywood actors seem so phony, Politicians seem to LIE a great deal... I already have lunch scheduled with Jesus one of these days.... maybe Mozart.... but he's DEAD! Tick, tock.... NOPE... can't think of anyone... Maybe I'll come up with something later.

Lisa