Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumierefrere

Ultimate Brownie

lumierefrere
18 years ago

This is something of a Grail Quest for me, searching for the ultimate brownie recipe. The Kathryn Hepburn one is supposed to be so great (what's the allure of cooking them for 45 min?) but I think it's a little too flat. For me, the perfect brownie has to be dark, moist, not too sweet, about 1" thick and full of walnuts. Using the right cocoa goes a long long way to making perfect brownies, darker is better. Top quality vanilla is also crucial, otherwise there's an off-taste. And, if I have it, a good splash of Grand Marnier doesn't hurt in the least.

So what makes a brownie great for you?

Comments (6)

• shesalittlebear
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I absolutely love dark chocolate brownies with cinnamon. With an additional splash of coffee or espresso even better. My nut of choice are pecans, but walnuts will do. lumierefrere, you are absolutely right about using good vanilla; it's a must. The Grand Marnier idea sounds great. That would go absolutely wonderful with Barefoot Contessa's Grand Marnier White Hot Chocolate. The recipe is on Foodtv.com

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I love pecans, too, if I had them in the house, I'd use them in a flash. It's tempting to use the less expensive vanilla, and I don't mean vanillin, but I'd rather skip the vanilla if it's not the best quality. Skipping the vanilla entirely isn't a catastrophe especially if you're using something else as a flavoring.

The other element that can measurably change and enhance the flavor is imported or gourmet butter.

Grand Marnier White Hot Chocolate, huh? Sounds pretty darn decadent. Again--one would be encouraged to chop up some Callebaut, instead of reaching for the less expensive brand. I used to rely on Ghiradelli but over the last couple months the quality has dropped precipitously.

Barb

• shesalittlebear
    18 years ago

Hi Barb,

Here is the recipe for Holiday Hot Chocolate by Ina Garten. I also posted a brownie recipe that I really liked. My grandmother pulled them out of the oven a little early, so they were super moist. I will retry the recipe again using the proper time...Let's hope they are still good.

For baking, I only use Scharffen Berger Natural Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened). Actually, I also only use this product to make hot chocolate (peppermint hot chocolate). For hot chocolate, I use about 2.5 heaping teaspoons, per cup, 2.5 heaping teaspoon of brown sugar, a splash of good vanilla, a big dash of cinnamon and of course: whole milk. For the peppermint hot chocolate, I use the Scharffen Berger, whole milk, sugar and organic peppermint extract to taste...Yummy.

Holiday Hot Chocolate Copyright 2005 Ina Garten, All Rights Reserved

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 7 minutes
    Cook Time: 7 minutes
    Yield: 9 cups
    User Rating:

4 cups whole milk
    4 cups half-and-half
    1 pound white chocolate, chopped
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    Seeds scraped from 2 vanilla beans
    1/4 to 1/3 cup orange flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)

In a saucepan on medium heat, heat the milk and half-and-half to just below the simmering point. Remove the pan from the heat and add the white chocolate. When the chocolate is melted, add the vanilla, vanilla bean seeds, and 1/4 to 1/3 cup orange liqueur, according to taste, and whisk vigorously. Reheat very gently and serve.

Episode#: IG0602
    Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Cinnamon Buttermilk Brownies

Source: Better Homes and Gardens
    http://www.bhg.com

Makes 24 brownies
    Prep: 30 minutes
    Bake: 25 minutes
    Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/4 cup butter
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 tablespoons buttermilk
    2-1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanillla
    3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Directions
    1. Grease a 15x10x1-inch or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
    2. In a medium saucepan combine the 1 cup butter, water, and the 1/3 cup cocoa powder. Bring mixture just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
    3. Bake brownies in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes for the 15x10x1-inch pan, 35 minutes for the 13x9x2-inch pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    4. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the 1/4 cup butter, the 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, and the 3 tablespoons buttermilk. Bring mixture to boiling. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. If desired, stir in pecans.
    5. Pour warm frosting over the warm brownies, spreading evenly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 24 brownies.
    I also add cinnamon to the frosting for an EXTRA KICK

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I think Scharffenberger has done a very good job with elevating American chocolate. I have both the cocoa and the bittersweet in the house now.

That said, King Arthur (the flour people) has a lovely catalog and website and they sell great cocoa at a price I can afford. They have everything else, too, including all the flours you wish you could have but need to be a bakery to get.

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

I am sort of a brownie purist - no nuts, no chips, just deep, dark moist flavor....although served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream could be my favorite dessert!

Joy of Cooking, version from the 1960's, brownie recipe - which I've made many times - is a standard for me.

Craig

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Craig, is that the Brownie Cockaigne? I should go back and try it again as it was one I made many times years ago. What a good cookbook that is. It's not fancy but if you need to know how to cook an elephant steak, it's in there. It tells you how to deal with everything. My binding's broken I've used it so much.