Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumierefrere

Can you separate actors from the stupid things they do IRL?

lumierefrere
18 years ago

I won't ever get into the legion of really stupid actors who are available now for mocking. (Brittany and Kevin *watched* a tape of themselves with her lawyer????)

Errol Flynn was such handsome guy. I really enjoyed Robin Hood (even tho Basil Rathbone was a real swordsman and Errol was a klutz in comparison). Captain Blood. Wasn't he great in that?

I can't look at him without thinking of his autobiography where he mentioned taking a trip to Africa and partaking of...well, I'm sure you know his story. Ubangi lips. That's quite an image. Was that the tribe that put the disks in their lips?

Comments (21)

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

I particularily enjoy the actors/actresses with a high school or below educations telling the world all about economics, the fine points of political law and international relations. I know everyone has their own point of view on these topics, but most of the real intellect has the same basic starting point. Tom Cruise is the latest; his expert medical advise is wonderful.

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

I continue to like Tom Cruise in movies but think he might not have both oars in the water in real life.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Really good topic.

Thing is to totally separate the artist from the art. That way you can enjoy the art without being distracted by the fact that most really talented artists are totally wacked.

This isn't something recent. It's a tradition for good artists, poets, musicians, et al, to be freaks of society.

Then when I still have trouble separating the artist from the art, or when someone points out something particularly stupid about a famous musician or actor, I try imagining what kind of totally stupid things I would do if I were famous, rich, lived in California, and had a whole lot of idle time on my hands. I could top them all with stupid human tricks.

Bill

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

TOP GUN is the *best* movie Tom Cruise ever made! I watch it all the way up until his jet leaves the flight deck (in the opening sequence) and then so do I.

There's always that book "Shut Up and Sing"--good advice for these entertainers who insist on lecturing the rest of us. Or maybe in the case of a couple of these people, I can pass on the singing, too.

• earl
    18 years ago

It's according to how 'hard' they sell their anti-Americanism as to if I can watch them on film. I find it amazing that so many of them hate the country that gives them so much, that they're being taken in by the tune of Ben Laden's pipe. That they continue on and on to produce propaganda type movies and tv shows for the left. They're mostly a bunch of snot-nosed-snobby-kids who never grew up. I miss John Wayne!

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had an agent at the William Morris Agency (handled only writers) who called actors pinheads. He knew. It's fine if they want to parade their vapid, uninformed, uneducated opinions down the *red* carpet of idiocy provided we are not at war, but when we are, there is a word for that.

I loved it when Johnny Depp called America one sick puppy or some such nonsense and then after 21 days of unrestricted riots in his adopted home of France, he decided that was a little too "culturally mature" for him as well.

The list grows longer of what supposed artists I will not financially support.

• gflynn
    18 years ago

I have always like Johnny Depp. Edward Sissor Hands was odd be cool like so many of his.

Anyway it impressed me that Brad Pitt, when asked for a political opinion said, "Why are you asking me that? I am an actor!"

Isn't that refreshing :-)

Greg

• hortist
    18 years ago

Brad Pitt, when asked for a political opinion said, "Why are you asking me that? I am an actor!"

Tell that to Reagan

• gflynn
    18 years ago

I asked him and he said

"Mr. Gorbachov, Tear down this wall"!

• suze9
    18 years ago

I miss John Wayne!

AMEN.

I take it you're not a fan of Janeane Garofalo?

(tee hee)

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I really liked The Truth About Cats and Dogs. Now I can't watch it without thinking about Ms Garofalo's (shrieking, strident) political POV. Spoiled it.

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

Some actors are intelligent enough to come in out of the rain; some even have college degrees. I wouldn't even want to make an assumption as to the ratio of smart-to-stupid and then compare that to the s-t-s ratio of the general public. As alluded to above, I really can't understand why so many in Hollywood seemingly hate the country in which they live; what gives them the ultra-liberal bent?

Paul, who thinks we are becoming a dichotomous society and I am stuck smack dab in the middle making enemies of both "wings."

• hortist
    18 years ago

Paul, who thinks we are becoming a dichotomous society and I am stuck smack dab in the middle making enemies of both "wings."

You have every right to make enemies with Texas (or Oklahoma) football....

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

I miss Reagan

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

Hortist: I really could care less about those guys. I still am an Iowan at heart and my enemies tend to be Michigan and Ohio State. That being said, Oklahoma was on the list because Chuck Long was on the coaching staff at Ok. and was the defensive backs coach when my son played for Iowa. Long was the most hated coach on the staff and a personal unfavorite of my son and therefore, me, too.

Right now I don't like Forida.......GO HAWKS!!!

• squeeze
    18 years ago

the real question is who the heck pays any attention to actors when they're not on stage - or maybe what makes you think they're NOT acting when they do the 'stupid' off-scrren things that gain them the public attention they need to get to the top of the acting 'profession'

I've always seen actors as folks who are real good at impersonating others, mostly because they have no actual life of their own, or maybe wish desperately they were someone else - why get sucked into believing their roles are reality?

Bill

• Sherrytomato
    18 years ago

I can completely separate the role/music/whatever from the public persona. If I sit in a movie theater and all I can think of is the actor's idiocy, then they arent much good at acting either. But if they take me to another place and time, they've done their job and I'm happy.

The only thing that disturbs me is the number of people who apparently do take them seriously. What kind of airhead would you have to be to take anything said by most celebrities to heart? It frightens me that people have their beliefs shaped by them without questioning their qualifications as long as their name recognition is high.

Sherry

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Are we talkin' about the same John Wayne who spent WWII in Hollywood?

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

"The only thing that disturbs me is the number of people who apparently do take them seriously. What kind of airhead would you have to be to take anything said by most celebrities to heart? It frightens me that people have their beliefs shaped by them without questioning their qualifications as long as their name recognition is high." [Sherry]

Amen! Have you ever gotten totally captivated by an individual's or a group's music ... and then actually talked to the musicians (who are generally among the most airheaded humans on earth) in depth? Not at a superficial level like groupie drool ... but a really serious discussion of anything other than musical technique.

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Sherry, unfortunately many, many people will believe a half-baked actor who goes off half-cocked just because he is an actor. In reality, these actors are in their own little worlds and have no idea what reality even is. If they did, I don't think they would come across as a "secular progressive" who has as part of his agenda that capitalism is evil. Without capitalism, they wouldn't be employed and they don't even realize it.

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The problem with so many actors today is that we have a cult of personality so when you see Tom Cruise in a movie you're
    aware that it's Tom Cruise first and foremost. Very few actors can make me forget who they are. Meg Ryan is always Meg Ryan. Tom Hanks--oh look at what Tom Hanks is doing, the same I am Spartacus bit he did in the last movie.

It's more important to most of these people to be famous rather than skillful.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus