Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumierefrere

Favorite Christmas Movie

lumierefrere
18 years ago

I used to quite love Christmas in Connecticut (yeah, right, we all drove around in sleighs, it's the 1940s not 1840s) but somehow it's not quite as cute as it used to be. I still watch it everytime I see it's on. Why did Dyan Cannon have to do a remake? That was pointless.

I really like the winter scenes of Holiday Inn (yeah, right we all drove around in sleighs--this is Connecticut, not Lapland). Why doesn't Hollywood do a remake of that? They have no honor and will ruin anything (keeping my anonymity in case they want to option my new book).

I think my favorite movie, well, tied with White Christmas probably (you can't beat Irving Berlin) is probably A Christmas Story. You know Ralphie is about 35 years old now?

Comments (18)

• JohnGuelph

A Christmas Story. Love the part when the dad goes down into the basement to deal with the furnace and starts cursing up a storm. Then when Ralphie swears his mom asks "where did you learn those words from".

Ah yes, many a kid has learned their swear words from a dad trying to fix something.

John

• JohnGuelph

Sorry to say this Mike, but I was one of the kids who would try to egg on the other kids into licking the pole.

PS stay away from the furnace.

One new movie that I've seen the last couple of years is called SILENT NIGHT. Starring Linda Hamilton, it's set at Christmas 1944 during the battle of the bulge. A group of American and German soldiers meet up at a house in the forest. Enemies at first, they slowly become comrades. It's a great movie.

John

• JohnGuelph

A Christmas Story. Love the part when the dad goes down into the basement to deal with the furnace and starts cursing up a storm. Then when Ralphie swears his mom asks "where did you learn those words from".

Ah yes, many a kid has learned their swear words from a dad trying to fix something.

John

• JohnGuelph

Sorry to say this Mike, but I was one of the kids who would try to egg on the other kids into licking the pole.

One new movie that I've seen the last couple of years is called SILENT NIGHT. Starring Linda Hamilton, it's set at Christmas 1944 during the battle of the bulge. A group of American and German soldiers meet up at a house in the forest. Enemies at first, they slowly become comrades. It's a great movie.

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• JohnGuelph

John

• lumierefrere
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ELF was a lot better than I expected. Forgot to mention that.

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Barb, I like A Christmas Story too. Another favorite is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

Somehow I end up watching Miracle on 34th street every year when my wife has it on, but it really isn't a 'favorite'.

I prefer the stupid comedies. Slapstick type humor suits me (surprising, eh?) LOL>

Duane

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

It's a Wonderful Life, followed by Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th Street, and the Alistair Sim version of Scrooge - and the wonderful, obscure Geraldine Page version of Christmas Memory (book by Capote). Oh yes - The Snowman (an incredible sort-of animation, a BBC production). And, always, Rudolph and Charlie Brown's Christmas...

Craig

• Bruce_B
    18 years ago

A Christmas Story, followed by, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, Scrooge, and White Christmas.

We saw the play, White Christmas in San Francisco last year...an amazing production!

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

I love A Christmas Stoty too!But dare I say I saw Bad Santa last year.Oh I laughed my a#$ off.I know it was alittle dark but I liked it.
    Ann.

• big_mike
    18 years ago

My favorite was A christmas Story, also. My younger son and one of his buddies learned first-hand what it was like to stick their tongues to a flag pole because of that movie. Who says TV isn't influential on children?

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

A Christmas story when Ralphie narrates his fathers "weaving a tapestry of profanity".

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

I need to dig through the video tapes and see if I taped that movie, "A Christmas Story". It's time to watch it again. Don't you just love a GOOD, funny movie?

My kids always snickered when Ralphie would run his hand up the lamp.

barb

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA