Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lumierefrere

Favorite Christmas Song

lumierefrere
18 years ago

(Did we get rid of whoseamadinger yet?)

I think O Holy Night is lovely. But for pop commercial I like Sleigh Ride. I don't care who did it. I like the Ronettes version but it doesn't matter, it's so good it works for everyone.

Comments (14)

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Favorite - Merry Christmas from the family - Robert Earl Keen

Most hated - I want a hippopatamous for Christmas
    -and- Walking 'round in womens' underwear

I don't know the 'artists' who sing either one of those 2 stupid songs and don't care to know.

• spyfferoni
    18 years ago

There is a Christmas song called "One Star" by an artist named Cherie Call. I heard it a couple of years ago at a Christmas concert that featured mostly local artists. It is my new favorite. I think you can listen to a sample of it on itunes. I love most of the songs on my Carpenters Christmas album. I have always loved Silent Night, and Away in a Manger. My kid's favorites are Rudolf and Jingle Bells. My husband is from Puerto Rico and thinks our Christmas music is boring. PuertoRican Christmas music is very festive with a lot of rythym. There is nothing like Christmas there---its a big party everywhere you go for like a month.

• big_mike
    18 years ago

O Holy Night. Everytime we sing that at Church, I get choked up and can't sing. It's a good thing they won't let me in the choir.

• bcday
    18 years ago

Favorite -- Carol of the Bells. Such a joyful song!

Worst -- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer -- whoever wrote that crap deserves the same fate!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

"Most hated - I want a hippopatamous for Christmas -and- Walking 'round in womens' underwear"

Duane, SAY WHAT??!!?? I've never heard those songs. I don't think they play them here in California. Sounds like the ultimate in "Redneck Christmas Songs", LOL!

O Holy Night is my favorite. I prefer to hear it sung by someone with a fabulous voice and great range. (not me)

• paquebot
    18 years ago

One favorite here is Johnny Cash's version of "Little Dummer Boy". But then, who could ever say that Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" isn't the all-time favorite?

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: White Christmas

• Mary_in_pnw
    18 years ago

I think Joy to the World and We Three Kings.

Mary

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

For my "churchy" mood, I really enjoy Advent hymns - O Come, O Come Emmanuel. Also like services that start out with Once in Royal David City.

For listening at home, we've enjoyed George Winston's "December" for many years - also season theme piano music by Liz Story and David Lanz, as well as the first 3 or 4 Windham Hill Winter Solstice and Celtic Christmas CDs.

Craig

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Barb, I kid you not. I didn't know either of those songs were regional...and no..they don't play them on the country station LOL!

Walking 'round in womens' underwear is sung to the tune of 'Walking in a winter wonderland' and the hippo song is sung by a little kid...I think a girl...but like 5 years old so it's hard to tell. I should probably call Bully to let him know he can have his CD back anytime :-)

Dawg

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

My favorites change from year to year.

Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is a classic that will always rank high.

This year, my favorites are Bob Seager's "Drummer Boy," and Burl Ives' "Holly Jolly Christmas."

Felis Navidad y Prospero Ano, Bill

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

The one with the dogs barking jingle bells!

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

LOL!

I just heard the chipmunks this morning! Another classic!

AllllllllllllllllllllVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Yeah, the barking dogs...truly a classic!

I love the rendition of 'Little Drummer Boy' by Audio Adrenaline...it really ROCKS. Couldn't find a wavefile to share with you guys.

And a Christmas song that's quirky, (keith might enjoy it) there is a ska rendition of 'Deck the Halls' by OC Supertones...ska, la, la, la, la...

barb

• dunkel
    18 years ago

LOL Duane! Merry Christmas from the family is a good one for sure. For a funny Christmas song I like "Holy $#!t it's Christmas" by Red Peters. I also like "Father Christmas" by the Kinks! Merry Christmas everyone!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz