Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

New puppy needing a name (pics finally)

Here she is, as promised.

I'm feeling like I imagine new mom's feel...so tired and just worn out with a new puppy inside for the winter. She goes out during the day and hangs with the 'big girls' and for the most part they are good with her.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a name?

I liked Precious, but BF didn't like it.

Sue

Comments (57)

• JohnGuelph

Daisy

Precious, maybe it's a guy thing, but I agree with BF and Dawg.

John

• JohnGuelph

Cleo
    Chloe

• JohnGuelph

Daisy

Precious, maybe it's a guy thing, but I agree with BF and Dawg.

John

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Sue, what a cute face! Is she as soft as she looks? Looks like a stuffed animal LOL>

With our fur-kids names just seemed to hit us out of the blue. That might happen with you guys.

(p.s. I agree with BF!)

Duane

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, she is so soft, and I'm hoping she will at least keep the furry ears, as another chow mix I have has.

Right now I'm calling her LD (short for Little Dog) but think she thinks her name is comere....(short for come here).

Someone told me Precious was a male dog anyway (in a movie I think)

Sue

• bully
    18 years ago

lycopup
    dogmato
    cherokee puppy
    puppy calabash
    paquepup
    bullena

God these are awful LOL

how about Duchese

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Maggie

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

I like Maggie.

My nephew just got a cat. He said they called it Ozzie, but his name was really Edward. Edward? of a cat? He meant Oswald....I didn't really mean to laugh at him, but Edward?

Sue, how about Molly?

(please do not consider any of those wonderful names Bully volunteered...paquepup? Groan..........)

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

that is such a cute dog - - - I cant quite get a name for her ... so cute though ~

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

L D for Little Dog is fine, but don't do what some friends of mine did. While trying to figure out a good name for their new pup they called their dog DOG, and that's the name that stuck. LOL

And Dog responds to DOG and is a fine dog.

Carolyn, who will let others suggest names 'cause I'm sure they'd be better than ones I'd suggest b/c I can't think of anything particularly unique and keep going back to the names of all the dogs I knew/know.

• griley
    18 years ago

I agree with John...Daisy is a wonderful name! While she is absolutely precious I think I'd have to agree with BF.
    Gina

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

That is such a sweet and cute puppy.
    Names, hmmmmmmm. Well, mine is a little different, it's Lady,or Ladygirl, or L.G. (for short), or like that dog in the John Wayne movie, just Dawg. She seems to like them all, and somehow definitely knows when one is directed at her.
    I can walk all around the house without her heading for the side kitchen door, but soon as I put my shirt and shoes on, she heads for the door to go outside. If I say c'mon dawg, she is right there to go anywhere, anytime.
    Bill P.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Molly is good too. My favorite Black and Tan Coon Hound was named Molly ... her best of litter was Maggie. They both had sweet eyes like LD.

If it's gonna be a ranging dog, want a name whose syllables carry out a long way.

But just a house pet or typical couch dog ... well it doesn't matter so much unless they have a tendency to run off on adventures.

My current and all time favorite dog is Lucy, our 6-y.o. Shih Tzu. "Loooo ... Ceeeeee" worked sometimes to draw her back from the pasture when she had a puppy fondness for cow pies. Whew! Glad those days are over.

Now it just works for sayin' stuff like, "Lucy, you got some splainin' to do."

• bcday
    18 years ago

Our dogs, like Duane's I guess, just seemed to name themselves, with names appearing more or less out of the blue -- somebody would say something that would make the dog prick up its ears and pay attention, we'd try out a name with that sound in it, and the name would stick. Our discussion about dandelions got Dandy's attention, so he got named after them even though he was black and white (border collie).

Here's a long list that we tried out when we named Cookie, a coonhound puppy sporting white fur with large black chocolate-chip spots. Maybe something here will fit your furbaby:

Abby
    Amber
    Angel
    Annie
    Babe
    Barbie
    Bella
    Bessie
    Brandie
    Buffy
    Callie
    Candy
    Casey
    Carrie
    Cassie
    Cheri
    Coco
    Cookie
    Daisy
    Dixie
    Ellie
    Gigi
    Ginger
    Gracie
    Happy
    Hazel
    Heidi
    Holly
    Honey
    Jazzy
    Katie
    Lady
    Midge
    Mindy
    Missy
    Misty
    Molly
    Muffin
    Peaches
    Penny
    Pixie
    Pookie
    Princess
    Queenie
    Sally
    Sandy
    Sheba
    Sherry
    Sissy
    Sugar
    Sushi
    Taffy
    Tara
    Tillie
    Tinker
    Tizzy
    Toffee
    Tootsie
    Trixie
    Truffle
    Twinkie
    Widget
    Winnie
    Wuffie

• worth1
    18 years ago

Dinner Thyme

Worth

• jimster
    18 years ago

"Sue, how about Molly? "

"Molly is good too. My favorite Black and Tan Coon Hound was named Molly ... her best of litter was Maggie. They both had sweet eyes like LD."

When I first looked at the pictures, before any replies were posted, I thought, "Molly". But I was too bashful to post that. I was thinking, "What do I know?". I had no reason for it. It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Jim

• earl
    18 years ago

Push. as in "your a push-over!" And it's one word. She's a beautiful pup. And very bright looking.

• griley
    18 years ago

Molly is perfect.

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

i didn't want one of those cutsie names for our dogs. we decided to go the ethnic route. my wife is finnish, and we live in a ethnic finnish area. we named our dogs lempi, and aili. ina was out of the question, because that was my wifes grandmothers' name, and we were pretty much forbidden to use that name by certain family members. smile
    whatever name you will pick will be the right one. i like some of the older names like stella, maisie, or ella. they sound nice, and you can say them loud and long if need be.

keith in calumet

Original Author
    18 years ago

My, my! So many wonderful names, but several of them are already taken by friends children or grandchildren....like Daisy, Molly, and Lucy. Other names were names of other wonderful dog's I've known which I wouldn't want to duplicate.

Keep them coming, and maybe BF or another friend will help me narrow it to 2 or 3 and then it should be easy.

Sue

• thedens
    18 years ago

AHHH CUTE PUPPY OVERLOAD!!! *ahem* Okay, got that out of my system. That is an ADORABLE face. ;-)
    I kind of like Molly, too. I think Sarah would also fit her.

Denna
    who tends to give her animals human names, and who also agrees with the bf on "Precious."

• griley
    18 years ago

bcday has a pretty good list...I like Bella, too! What do you think of Ruby?

• jermen
    18 years ago

she's a cutie..

maggie mae ....

jeri

• webkat5
    18 years ago

Sooooo do you like Holly Berry (like Halle Berry)?

They there is always Francesca...could call her Chessy for short.

Maple, Iris, Willow.....

Anything ringing any bells???

• canadiantomato
    18 years ago

Alice

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

She is just TOO adorable!!!

I like many names in bcday's list...especially Ginger, Brandy, and Penny (had a dog once, registered as Cascade Penny Lane) because of her color. What kind of temperament does she have? Quiet? Inquisitive? Bold?

I also like Tillie, Jazzy, Gracie, Cookie (I called my pup that), Carrie (her name now - I call her CareBear) and Callie (hm, I notice a trend here - I even call Jill *Jilly*).

barb

• bcday
    18 years ago

Sue, what are the names of your other 3 dogs?

I see that I left "Millie" off of the list above. I agree with BF about Precious too.

-- BC --

• rlcollins043
    18 years ago

She is adorable, Sue! Her fur looks so soft; she reminds me of a teddy bear. How about Teddie?

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

I like Barb's name - Cookie. It's cute enough without being overly cutesy. She looks like a Cookie!

Duane

Original Author
    18 years ago

The other dogs names are Whitey (she's white and was just dropped off here), Sadie (a black lab mix from the animal shelter), and Lucky (A rescuer had her at a flea market in SC and we found each other while I was there vacationing.)

LD will be an outside dog, in time, and will be a ranging dog as the others are. Often they are out of site, and occasionally even out of ear shot.

Maggie, Millie, Cookie, Ginger, and Holly are all striking my fancy today. Tomorrow it may be others or more of the above names.

barb,
    she is 50/50 playful and quiet. When I'm not playing with her, or she's outside, she following me from room to room, or else sleeping quietly beside whatever chair I'm in, never letting me out of her sight.

I'll let you all know once she is assigned her 'permanent' name.......any others?

Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas.

Sue

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Yes, a Christmas Cookie! ;-)

She sounds like a wonderful dog, Sue.

barb

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Lilly

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Lilly is good.

How about Gertie (Aunt Gerties Gold..Huh? huh?)

Duane

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Or,...

Ruby

(Aunt Ruby's German Green..huh..huh?...)

Actually I like Ruby...scratch that Gertie from above please.////thx

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

I go with Maggie or Mollie or Curley (better than Chemo).

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

She is precious. You know I'm a dog lover.
    My female dog came from the SPCA and was already named Lady. She is a Sheltie. I just evolved into calling her Little Girl. But when she needs to be called to attention or reprimanded, it is Lady, lol.
    My new dog, a Black Lab mix, came to us with the name Lawton. When my husband took him outside and was trying to call him he wasn't responding and he started yelling out silly names. He yelled out Creton and the dog came running, so Creton he became. But of course, I call him Big Boy.
    We do seem to like the 2 name system like with Thor/Knucklehead.
    Ok, so all of this doesn't help you name the dog one bit, lol.

Original Author
    18 years ago

No Remy, that does help as I'd briefly entertained the idea of having her pick her own name. Just playing the other day, I tried several, and she responded to Sushi...but we didn't agree on that one.

Right now I'd consider "Pee Pee" as she had her first water of the day, and then an accident. Later today, after watering her, she'll be put outside IMMEDIATELY! She does do great while sleeping or going visiting in her 'pet taxi' so I know she knows how to 'hold it'.

Sue

• bcday
    18 years ago

She responded to the name Sushi?

We had a dog nicknamed Shashi (from ShaSha). Maybe that sounds close enough to Sushi without hinting that she belongs on the dinner menu. I don't think ShaSha would mind someone else borrowing her nickname.

I do agree that it is much better to find a name that the dog instantly responds to naturally, rather than picking one and trying to teach the dog that that word means him/her. Especially a free-ranging dog who has more opportunities than an indoor dog to indulge in selective hearing.

One dog came here already named Domino, being the traditional border-collie black/white, but he totally ignored any commands directed at someone called Domino -- surely we didn't mean him? Any reference to Barney the cartoon dinosaur got him to come and investigate, though. So I guess you could say the dog trained us to call him Barney, although it wasn't my first choice of a name for a dog. But with his happy-go-lucky, slightly goofy personality, the name grew on him, and people said years later that he looked like a Barney.

-- BC --

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

Do not worry too much about whether or not they respond to what you call them to begin with. An intelligent will learn names and word associations.
    One of my sons and DIL were visiting yesterday, lady was in the kitchen with us and they were amazed that while she seemed to be dozing on the floor, I demonstrated that my mention of her name in the middle of the conversation, and with out raising my voice or anything else, the mention of the word lady made her ears perk up. When I said the word Squirrel in the same manner, she got up and started looking out the window for one around the tree where a bird feeder hangs near the kitchen window. When I said "go for a walk" her tail started wagging and she headed for the side kitchen door.

In the beginning, seperate the words that you want them to learn, put emphasis on them, then reward them in some way when they respond. It does not have to always be a doggie treat, intersperse that with times that you pet them, give them words of praise or encouragement, anything that makes them feel good and know that they did right. If they ignore you, keep trying, If they do wrong, teach them the meaning of the words of a sharp NO! Keep it simple and do not let any training session run very long to exceed their interest and attention span and becomes boring and like work.
    I guess that what I am trying to say is, pick the name that feels right, they will learn it. I really does not matter at this point, they do not know what any of those words really mean.
    You probably did not even realize what your name was at first, and probably did not learn to spell it for quite awhile afterwards. Now the mention of it will wake some from a deep sleep. See what I mean. Doncha know. ":^)
    Bill P.

Original Author
    18 years ago

Am I a 'proud new mommy' or what?

Sue...who can't seem to get anything done around here since puppy adopted me

• jenna_sc
    18 years ago

That little girl look like a GINGER to me!

Jen

• goddessemer6
    18 years ago

Yup I agree, she definately looks like a Ginger to me!

~Rose

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

I think *Ginger* looks plenty spoiled already, LOL...just look at all those toys!! :-)))

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

I suggested Ginger when you told me you got her, before you showed a picture of her. And now that I've seen her, I really think it suits her. She looks like Ginger, one of my favorite spices. Ginger has healing properties, and the little sweetheart looks like she'd be good for whatever might ail you. LOL

BC

• jenna_sc
    18 years ago

If you name her Ginger you can put gingerbread cookies in her stocking :)

Merry Christmas to you and the new pup!

Jen

• worth1
    18 years ago

Ginger sounds good to me also!

Worth

• webkat5
    18 years ago

Well, if you are going with Ginger....how 'bout a bit of zing.

Ginger Snap (this is the name you will use when she is being a bit of a "naughty puppy").

It is helpful to have a "full" name to use for these occasions (chewing on the leg of a chair, peeing on the sofa....etc...) ;o)

• webkat5
    18 years ago

She's gonna be a dog before she gets a name....
    What have you decided??

Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I had hoped to take a few new pics to post and announce her name at the same time.

I tried a few favorite names out on her, and it seems the one 'she' likes best is Ginger (Ginger Snap when the situation calls for firmness.)

She fetches, loves her ball and rolling it under the chair, and then going under the chair and playing with it there. She sleeps in her Pet Taxi, and settles down once she knows I too am in bed and settled down for the night.

She stayed out the other night (was only in the 50's I think) and slept in the back of the truck in some mulch, along with 2 of the other girls.

Little by little the other girl's are accepting her better and there is less growling. I'll keep you posted with pics as she grows up.

Thanks to all for all your wonderful (and some not so wonderful...lol) names.

Sue and Ginger

• nonplus
    18 years ago

Dora, Eimer, Ruby Lee, I have more if you like. Actually, I think that these names are better for birds. LOL