Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earlystart

what state or country do yoou wish you lived in?

earlystart
18 years ago

what state or country do you wish you lived in?

Comments (28)

• Bruce_B
    18 years ago

A state in which they could eradicate Chickenmen.

• earlystart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bruce: Why would you want to destroy the greatest crime fighter the world has ever known?

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Pack of nuts goes off his medication :-)

• earlystart
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bruce thought you lived in the state of denial.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

For year-round gardening, I'd opt for Durban, Zululand. Fertile volcanic soils and semi-tropical weather. Warmed and watered by the Indian Ocean currents rather than either drought or monsoon of the African interior. Perennial summer without ever being too hot or too cold.

Martin

• bully
    18 years ago

I'll buy the ticket

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    18 years ago

Right where I'm at : Virginia, USA

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

Appalachia

• paquebot
    18 years ago

If someone is really going to pop for a ticket, make it to Belize! Entire nation is like one massive national park. Real surprise at Belize City where I expected lush tropical growth everywhere. Lots of palm trees but not much else. Not even grass can grow there. At high tide, some lawns are like walking on a sponge. Of course, every little hurricane that comes along reminds everyone of why the city is right next to a massive scrub salt marsh.

But you could send me to anywhere around Orange Walk. In fact, nice quiet retirement community being built there now. Land still cheap and I could buy 3 huge lots just with what's my checking account! Safe from the storm surges and huge fertile fields of sugar cane. That land served to feed huge populations of Mayans and it's far from worn out.

Or, you could set me up in the Cayo district. I'd accept that! That area can also feed a lot of people. Citrus, bananas, and other fruit galore. A lot of the large vegetable farms indeed were set up and owned by Americans, mostly Mennonites. Amazing how much they can produce.

Belmopan would be OK but almost last resort. The only thing that that area has going for it is that it's on high ground. (Also has a church that one of my uncles helped build!) The fact that it is high ground is why it's no good for gardening. With much of the lower ground being alluvial from the higher rain forests, such soil is rich and deep. The higher ground around Belmopan struck me as having all of the good stuff leached out by centuries of getting nothing but rain. So, don't send me there unless I can take my American garden with me!

Martin

• douglas14
    18 years ago

I'm content in Minnesota.

• thedens
    18 years ago

I've always wanted to live somewhere in Canada. In the US, maybe rural Vermont, or the Seattle area. Asheville, NC is also one of my favorite places. We rented a cabin near there for our honeymoon and it was just beautiful.

Denna

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

Denna - you read my mind! Vermont, or the Pacific NW...although we've become quite addicted to Ocracoke Island and the Todd/Boone area of the mtn area of NC....Scotland and Ireland would be fine also!

Craig

• tedp2
    18 years ago

On the shore of one of the large lakes in North Alabama, with a vacant lot of riverbottom land next door. Wait a minute! That's where I do live!

• hortist
    18 years ago

heaven

• tedp2
    18 years ago

Lol Not yet, but later Hortist.
    I'm pretty close to it now.

• montanamato
    18 years ago

Australia....they always seem to be happy, witty, going to a party or recovering from one. Everyone has partners instead of spouses and pets instead of children...I must have gone wrong somewhere.

Ireland would be a distant second choice...just for the good horses and pubs.

Jeanne

• reginak
    18 years ago

I love where I am, but I gotta agree with HoosierCherokee - heaven is Appalachia.

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Regina, what part of Appalachia? Just curious. I have always wanted to explore the region (I know the trail encompasses many miles and how many states?).

There was a mini-series on public tv that involved a couple of boys growing up in Appalachia that started last night and I couldn't find it on my cable network. Bummed me out.

Duane

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

I'm happy with good ole "Joysey" ; but living on Crete would be sweet !!! ~ Tom

• MarDar
    18 years ago

I live in new jersey but I would love to go back to california where I grew up. Specifically the San Francisco area.
    Tamar

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

Jeanne, I agree with you for all those reasons.Except I still want pets and children.I've had a dream of going to Australia sense I was little.I still might one day.
    Duane good to see you here.I hadn't seen you post in awhile.I hope all is well.
    Ann.

• reginak
    18 years ago

Hi, Duane. Well, I've got folks in Tennessee, in the Smokys, and that's pretty gorgeous. My grandparents lived near the Blue Ridge of VA when I was growing up, and I loved that. I've always thought I'd like to retire to WVa. - near here but cheaper, and those gorgeous mountains, that beautiful forest and streams and rocky pastures. Damn, I just love that terrain.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

"... what part of Appalachia?" [Duker]

Appalachia, at least in my mind, extends from Vermont to Northern Alabama. That's a lot of territory. Time share would be the best method to enjoy it all, I guess.

Anywhere from Vermont to the Southeastern tip of Tennessee in the summer, and from Western Carolina to somewhere around Huntsville in the winter.

My absolute favorites are Pennsylvania between Wheeling West Virgina and the Susquehanna Valley, the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, New River Gorge West Virginia, Virginia between Staunton and Covington, and the area between Bristol and Johnson City, Tennessee.

• worth1
    18 years ago

I have been ignoring this post for a while and I think Texas is about as good a state to live in as any, but if I was told to leave the country and had a choice I would definitely ask to go to Sweden in a heart beat, they are gun friendly and donÂt care to much for racial prejudiced and they were (pretty much) left alone by Hitler for good reason.
    I think they were occupied by the Nazis but not really ran in the dirt by them.

They also have some of the most beautiful women in the world, Just look at
    Ann Margaret, LAWDY!!!!

Worth

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Sweden was never occupied during WW2. They were neutral but leaned to the Allied side. Many damaged RAF and USAF bombers turned north across the Baltic and landed in Sweden where they were welcomed.

Been there twice. Once spent 3 days in the little town of Kumla. We were first American visitors in about 15 years. Chatted with half the town's population as they just needed an excuse to speak English!

If you want to see some beautiful scenery in Sweden, travel by train from Stockholm to Göteborg and on to Oslo. Mountains, fjords, rivers, lakes, forests, almost everything except civilization!

Martin

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Like Worth, I'd been seeing this thread but not connecting with it. I was born 50 miles from where I live now. I moved from I guess you would call it northern Southeast Kansas to central Southeast Kansas. I've seen some beautiful scenery right here in the Sunflower state and you can't beat the growing season unless it would be semi-tropical, but that would get boring. I guess if I was run out of Kansas on a rail, I'd have to return to where my ancestors first put roots in this nation; Pennsylvania. Like Kansas, there is a lot of history there. My great-great grandfather was a Quaker preacher in Pennsylvania. He was a food and clothing stop on the way north in the Underground Railroad.

• sorellina
    18 years ago

Tuscany, and if you need to ask why, you've never been....

• heirloomtomato
    18 years ago

Since we just bought our dream place with 20 acres, I'm quite content here in western PA. Also, I'm pretty attached to my family and they're all here! NOW, to visit, I would love to go to Scotland (some anscestory involved there) and Tuscany would be wonderful (from what I've seen on film and TV.)
    Karen

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?