Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loagiehoagie

What was your first car?

loagiehoagie
18 years ago

Mine was a 1964 Corvair. Terrible car. Had to pull over every 20 miles to let the engine cool off. Only paid 125.00 bucks for it. What was yours?

Comments (56)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1964 "valient' Valient...225...an automatic with push button shift on the dash. Was probably one of the best car's I've owned. My second one was a 1966 Dodge Charger...really cool, with bucket seats front and rear. I'd really like to have that one back.

Sue

• Bruce_B
    18 years ago

1972 Mustang w/ a 351 Cleveland engine. $1800.00 brand new. Those were the days my friend.

Aimed for chickens crossing the road, for what ever reason they chose.

• earlystart
    18 years ago

i all drove 1990 capres classic

Bruce if stop making nasty remarks about others the world would be a better place so stop beating dead horses

• worth1
    18 years ago

My first car was a horse, lucky me.

Worth

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Worth,

Mustang? Pony? Colt?

• barkeater
    18 years ago

Bruce, why did the chicken cross the road??? Because we missed!!LOL

Anyhow my first car was a '57 Ford that cost $50. It had a cracked windshield that would have cost $75 to fix so I sold it for $25 after I got stopped for an expired inspection. The next one was the best though: a 1963 turquoise Chevy Belair with 3 on the tree I bought for $175.

• worth1
    18 years ago

1/2 Quarter 1/2 draft i had to ride that big thing to the swimming hole bare back with the Indian rig.

Worth

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

my first car was the old family 68 chevy impala station wagon. it was 10 or 11 years old when it became my car. when i went to wayne state university, i used to park in these dirt lots where they had torn down houses. it was free. i hated to have to pay for parking. only problem was when it rained the dirt turned to mud, and sometimes i'd get stuck. on one muddy day, i had a tree limb come up through the floor board on the driver side. when i got home some of the carpet had come in contact with the hot exhaust pipe, and caught fire. i had to run into the house, grab a bucket of water, run back out and douse the flames. another time the car stalled out on me as i was trying to cross telegraph road one evening. duane and bully probably know how busy that road is. boy, was i glad to get rid of that car.

keith in calumet

• worth1
    18 years ago

I thought the chicken crossed the road to prove to the possum it could be done!!!!

Actually my first car was a 1968 Rebel SST I had to buy the thing myself.
    I did take some real cute blonds out in a 63-ford 1-ton truck flat bed (lots of room in the back.)

That horse got some miles on him to.
    Nothing more romantic than riding out into the national forest on the back of a horse with your favorite girl friend to go fishing where no car will go.

Worth

• earlystart
    18 years ago

what is difference between dead skunk and dead lawyer.

• loagiehoagie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Martie, what is the answer? You are soooooooooo transparent. Why don't you go cuddle with your fat wife?

• gflynn
    18 years ago

My first was a 68 4-door Chevelle. It cost my dad $50. When I took it to the junk yard I had to keep the radiator open and carry lots of water. I would go a few miles and add more. I had just enough to get it Ellis Wise.

My second was a 68 LTD that cost my dad $100. Most every thing broke on that car; everything but the motor. When the ignition key mechinism stopped working I just took it out with a dent puller and used a screwdriver to start the thing.

Try picking up a date with one of those ;-)

Greg

• Glenn_50
    18 years ago

1951 Morris Minor. Side valve motor. No frills, virtually indestructable.

• worth1
    18 years ago

Hey I drove one of those, a guy I knew owned it dont ask me how the thing got to OK.

Worth

• retiree
    18 years ago

My first car is a 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook. I went to kindergarten in it. It became mine in 1963 and I still have it although I've had over 50 cars since. I don't recall it ever failing to start.
    Neil(in Canada)

• nctom
    18 years ago

My first car was a 67 Mustang. My Aunt bought it new. My Dad bought it from her in 75. It was gradually released to me in near mint condition in 81. My best friend totaled it in 87. I stopped crying in 93.

Tim

• worth1
    18 years ago

Tim
    Is he your best friend now?
    TOO sad, "feel for you bro!

Worth

• zucchini
    18 years ago

our first car was a 60's something Jeep Wagoneer..looked strrong..we had it painted bright yellow...but it could notget up a hill if anyone was in the back seat...found out it had a Nash motor..drove too slow and we had to drive on th shoulder of the road. Needed blanket to keep us warm as the heater didn't work...sold it for the same $300.00 we bought it for, after putting in a lot of repairs. My sons first car is a 1986 Ford Bronco..it is still his only car, excuse me, truck. I look forward to the day he actually get a newer one..but..you guys are attached to your cars.
    Martha/zucchini

• jermen
    18 years ago

1969 volkswagon ...orange....i could jump curbs with it...too fun

jeri

• loagiehoagie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jeri, I thought I was the only one who did that! I had a '72 beetle. Rusty, one headlight, cracked windshield...hmmm...what condition was my brain in when I bought that piece of cra*...anyway...there was one little hill near a buddies place that if I got it up to about 45 the car would actually become airborn. That was fun.

D

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

Old ugly murky olive green Pontiac Tempest - probably from the 1960's - got totalled when someone rear ended me at a red light (they were too busy yelling at their child in the back seat - saw the whole thing unfolding in my rear view mirror!). Awful car....went out and replaced it with another that was even worse!

C

• thedens
    18 years ago

'89 Mitsubishi Galant. Dad officially owned it, but I made every payment myself. I was pretty proud of that, in a high school where the other kids were driving sports cars their parents had given them.

Denna

• griley
    18 years ago

A 1974 AMC Javelin. Brutal. After the javelin I became the proud owner of a blue AMC Spirit. The AMC's must've been cheap and probably for good reason! I loved them, though.

• LandArc
    18 years ago

a 1974 Datsun 710, which I proceeded to lower, flowed and polished all of the intake and exhaust, dropped the head to increase compression and opened up the carb.

Blew up the motor for the third and final time going up I80 at excess speed.

Replaced it with Frankentruck, a 1967 Ford F100 with a race prepped 351 Cleveland through a 3 speed, column mounted Ford Tranny to some custom race gears in a 3/4 ton rear axle. It would run to 140 mph on 16" rims and HT tires.

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

1965 Mustang. Sold it in 1971 to drive my new wife's 1968 Pontiac LeMans.

At age 16 I had to drive my Dad's 1957 Pontiac Station Wagon he bought from a cousin of mine who put in a 396cu.in. Pontiac engine with 3 2bbl carbs. With a 4 speed automatic transmission, in a quarter mile, it would go faster than the 120mph speedometer would register.

Thank goodness my kids had a tame 4cyl Dodge when they were in high school.

• big_mike
    18 years ago

1966 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop. 327 c.i. V-8 with 300 horsepower heads and a four barrell carbuerator about the size of a wash tub with a 3 speed Turbo-hydramatic automatic transmission. I worked all summer in a factory spot welding greeting card racks in 1973 to pay $625.00 cash for it. Many many many many memories.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

First car was new '60 Ford Ranch Wagon, $2,998. Heavy beast with only 6-cylinder. Traded that dog in with barely 8,000 miles for new '61 Ford Country Sedan, $3,010, and 292 c.i. V-8. Over 200,000 miles when driven to the junk yard!

Martin

• earl
    18 years ago

1953 4 door Chevy that I saved up the money for which got bought while I was sleeping and didn't have any input into buying. Man, that sucked. LOL. I want a convertable 58 Fairlane Ford! I wouldn't taken it and run away from home, but the dam thing wasn't put in my name. Life. It's hell, but gets better. LOL.

• loagiehoagie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know whatcha mean Earl. I REALLY wanted a 1972 Challenger (Plum Crazy)...but what I got was a '64 Corvair. :-(

• LandArc
    18 years ago

Hey, you guys wouldn't have been happy with thos fast sexy cars anyway.

My mom had a 1950 Mercury covnertible that my dad sold in '58 when they got married, not respectable enough. Replaced it with a '56 Ford sedan.

• mwagt
    18 years ago

1979 Mitsubishi Colt Lancer in Scotland while stationed there in the Navy in 1985. Didn't get my license until I was 18 so never had a car in the states. Driver's side was on the right since we drove on the left side of the road. Made for an interesting transition trying to get use to driving on the correct side again after I left the U.K. in '86.

That little Colt was a great durable car even if it was just a simple basic thing. I almost got killed in it twice. Once I was coming down a mountain and a tour bus came around the curve in his lane and mine. I just kept looking to see how far I had to get over to avoid him hitting me, knowing I might go over the edge of a very steep mountainside. I felt my left wheels on the edge but thankfully I didn't plunge over. I came darn close to turning around and following that bus driver until he stopped. What an idiot! Another time I hit black ice, spun out of control, and ended up slamming the left side of a small (straight up and down) hill then crossing both lanes which was unusually free of traffic then slamming headfirst into another straight up and down hill that was about 8 ft high. I was sure my car was going to crumble at impact but instead popped up onto the top of the hill where it promptly got stuck. It happened on a farmer's property and his wife and daughter were kind enough to let me use the phone and gave me hot tea. If I would have been more confidant at that age I would have gone back later to talk to the daughter. What a hot chick! haha

And the best part of all, a mechanic charged me something like 15 pounds to fix the frame of the car. That little car took more abuse but served me well anyways.
    20 years ago....how time passes by, huh?

Jeff

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

1977 Volare. Please don't sing the song. Normal rational people would burst into song when I mentioned my car.
    It looked like a heap of junk, all rusty, but my father,the race car driver, had worked on it. It ran great and it was fast! All my male friends used to tell me to save the engine when I let go of that car,lol.

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

I've laughed my head off reading this thread and I don't even care about cars. To prove it, my first car was a dented, dinged, rusted, white Ventura, year unknown (by me) and by the way, was that a Pontiac? The driver's side window was busted and wouldn't roll down which meant I was always hopping out to pay for gas or better yet to pay for tolls on the Mass Pike (Massachusetts Turnpike). Underneath the dash was a virtual jungle of wires that went to who knows what and was that why the heat and windshield wipers worked on some mysterious intermittent schedule?

But...it had a V-8 engine and as my sister said, hey, this is the kind of car you can knock shopping carts out of the way with without worrying! She used to call it the "Ventuuuraaahhh" and we had a great time in it.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

My first car was a red and white AMC something or other that my parents bought for me when I started college in the Fall of 1957; it was used but I don't remember the year.

When I think now of how oblivious I was to driving where I drove and how I drove I'll tell you, I shudder. LOL

A few special moments I remember with that car.

The rubber thingie came off the gas pedal one day and I couldn't get it back on so had to drive with just this metal shaft that stuck up there. It worked. LOL

I used to drive it back and forth to Ithaca from the Albany area along the new at that time Thruway, and sometimes I['d go the old way, which was route 20 which was the old main road across NYS. SOme of those hills were steep and the car would always slow down dramatically, but one day I floored it and to my amazement found there was an overdrive that I knew nothing about when you did that. LOL

My best car moment?

Car was parked at the library at Cornell one frigid Saturday morning. Went out to start it and no go. Called the station for help. They came and jumped it and told me to follow them to the station where they'd put in a new battery.

SO I'm sitting there waiting and they came out and said it would cost me X dollars for a new battery, always wary of college students who didn't have much money, and I casually asked if they had checked the brushes on the generator.

So the guy came back out and said, you were right, they're shot, and I was charged 25 cents for new ones and drove away happy. LOL

Fact is, I used to be first assistant surgeon for my brother, who is three years younger than I am, when he would "operate" on cars as in grinding the heads down, etc., so did know a little. His prize and joy was a white T-bird with those little windows in the back and a top that lifted off. It had belonged to a Heinz pickle person and if he had kept it he's be very rich today. LOL

Best diagnosis ever made ono a car I drove? Was in Denver in grad school when I had purchased a Valiant slant 6 from a Pakastani grad student for $50 and after two years whenever I went slightly uphill and the uphill was to the right the engine would stall out. Always.

Several mechanics looked at it and it still stalled out on a right hand uphill drive.

Finally this great mechanic who worked at a station near the med school and had seen it all, found the problem. There was a crease break in the rubber line that led to the carburator that widened ONLY when on an uphill drive to the right so air rushed into the carburator. LOL

And the next car I bought, the first one I bought for myself, was also in Denver after I dumped the Valiant several years later for $100, was a new green and white AMC Gremlin for $2000. LOL Fishtailed everywhere on bad snowy roads and I had to keep a couple of hundred pounds of kitty litter in the rear to keep it going straight.

Oh the cars we've driven, LOL, and we're still here to post about them. LOL

Carolyn, who loves her Toyota Camry's and is on her third one now, Sage Green Pearl, mind you, LOL, but it's in the garage for the winter right now, but will hopefully come out on Jan 17th when I get someone to drive me in my car to an appt with my surgeon.

• HoosierCheroKee
    18 years ago

"1969 volkswagon ...orange....i could jump curbs with it...too fun" [jeri]

First car in HS (1965) was a split pea soup green '60 VW Bug.

A buddy of mine bet some hot roddin' grease ball that he could burn rubber in my VW. The greaser bet him 5 bucks he couldn't.

Joe had us lift the right side of my VW up on a curb line that ended in a bull nose radius. He hopped in, revved the motor, and took off down the parking lot with two wheels on the asphalt lot surface and two wheels up on the curb.

When he got to the end of the traffic island, the right rear wheel came off the curb spinning, dropped 6 inches down onto the lot surface, and BERRRRRP! Squeeled a little and left about a one-foot black rubber streak.

• lakeerie4ever
    18 years ago

It was my grandpa's 1980 Chevrolet Caprice Classic.
    I got it in 1998 and it had 36,000 miles on it. It came fully loaded for 10,000. In 1979 That was a lot of money,

Then I had a 1988 Cadillac Coupe De Ville, Wish I had that one back.

Now I'm driving a 2002 Chevy Cavalier,which I really like

Also have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

"...this is the kind of car you can knock shopping carts out of the way with without worrying!"

Too funny!! I had a few of those too.

Carolyn, my very first car was a steel blue '65 (?) Plymouth Valiant. My BIL's dad owned a VW dealership and I was hoping for a Kharman Ghia, but I only had $400 of hard earned waitressing money. I hated that car but it got me where I needed to go.

Funny thing, some kid around the corner owns one JUST like it and has a license plate "BLUWALE". That pretty much describes it, LOL.

My first NEW car was a 1974 Toyota Corolla and I drove and drove that thing. I'd love to have another Toyota some day.

• douglas14
    18 years ago

My first car was a used, silver Honda Civic 4 door coupe. I think it was an '82 or '83. I was 21 yrs. old.

• nonplus
    18 years ago

An extremely well used Austin Healey Sprite, loved that car!

• Bargie_Ohio
    18 years ago

1957 Chevy convertable - turquoise & white
    (new) $3,100. I couldn't get out of that car long enough to go to work. I found out, the hard way, you work or it's gone. Never missed another days work because I was not going to part with that car!!

• cottonpicker
    18 years ago

1957 Bel Air Chevy... the one I drove from OK to PA when I moved here in 1964. After arriving here from the 1700 mile trip I had the car serviced and the service station attendant exclaimed, "Where did you get all this red dirt from??". Apparently, he'd never seen the red dirt of OK...
    LD

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Wow, 57 Chevy's. That was THE car to have when I was in high school. Unless you were a real motor head, had a job and could afford the late 60's to early 70's MOPAR's.

• heidibird
    18 years ago

I had an orange and white 74 Ford Maverick Grabber. I loved that little car. I had wanted to buy a VW Thing, but was talked out of it, so this one ended up being just as good. It was the only orange one in town, so I "had" to behave while driving it.

~Heidi

• trudi_d
    18 years ago

64.5 'stang. White with black landau roof, red leather interior.

Sold it for a 68 T-Bird. Grey with a black landau roof, red leather interior, swing-away steering wheel, make-out pit in the back.

Sold it for a 63 New Yorker, blue, blue, blue--you could hit it with a sledge hammer and break the hammer--car was built like a tank and ran on about the same amount of gas too. Had a push-button transmission. It was the last classic car I owned, traded it in for a husband ;-(

I miss my cars.

• big_mike
    18 years ago

Trudi, Trudi. What's the old saying? You can't live with them and it's illegal to kill 'em.

Did you know the old New Yorkers and Newports are illegal in most demolition derbies? They are an unfair advantage.

• sudzy
    15 years ago

I neat thread. Lets bring it back to life.

Mine was a '63 Olds, Cutless F-16 dark blue and white convertible. I was 16 and thought I was in heaven! I worked and saved up the $360. for it. Good memory.

Sudzy

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

First car... wow. 1970 VW Bug. Never tried jumping a curb, but it DID have a mind of it's own. It used to start honking the horn on it's own, blow fuses at will - boy did I get good at changing fuses, it would pop the tailpipe at will, I had to keep track of my miles because the gas gage fuse used to blow... if I had passengers in the back, the fender rubbed the tire... but all in all I loved that car - paid $1500 bucks for it and got every dime back out of it when I sold it 10 years later for a used 1987 Kawasaki Ninja... I used to pick up my girlfriends on that thing... parents LOOOOVED me! Still have the dang thing!

NCTomatoman - wasn't a olive green pontiac tempest in My Cousin Vinnie??

• bigdaddyj
    15 years ago

1967 TR4, 4 speed with an overdrive lever while in second, third or fourth gear. Like having 7 gears. Racing Red. Wire wheels with spinners. Man I miss that thing...:)

• earl53
    14 years ago

I actually had many first cars. We weren't rich by any means, but living on a farm and cars being 100-200 dollars all over the place, i wound up with a collection.

First was the 59 GMC pickup. Was very good!! But the very much used engine had to be replaced with another good used 6.

The second a 57 ford was a horrible horrible car!! 292 V8 in ford during the 50's i found out later was a horrible engine they used in cars.

I did choose fords and as long as i went with 289 V8's i had perfect luck!

• antiqbob
    14 years ago

OK I Have to wade in.. My first was given to me by my great aunt (we believe thinking that I was my father..) It was a 1940 Lasalle coupe which she bought new.

I know, who knows what that is..LOL The car was real.. Ran it all over New England including to New York state to beat the liquor laws.. Legal at 18 in NY, 21 in Mass..
    Great car.
    Oh yes, I have now at one time or another owned 5 Lasalles..
    antiqbob

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists