Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loagiehoagie

Favorite recording artist?

loagiehoagie
18 years ago

I have many. I enjoy Bruce Springsteen, Robert Earl Keen, John Gorka, Iris Dement. Bob Seger is a good guy and local favorite. What is your favorite(s)?

I have more, but have to think on it a bit.

Duane

-30-

Comments (20)

• earlystart
    18 years ago

fats Domino

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Beatles...of course.

Sue

• earlystart
    18 years ago

also the Gerry lee louis great balls of fire.

• gflynn
    18 years ago

Spinal Tap's way up there after Air Supply (I'm all out of love..) can't you just hear it!

Actually, and I don't mean to offend, but I have a fishing buddy that is from Pakistan and on the way back from a fishing trip he was telling me how he was trying to get together with an old girl freind. Then he put that song on and blasted it. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

I have always enjoyed making fun of bad music so it was hard to take.

Years earlier, me and an old buddy used to go into a dinner that had a Jukebox at each table that you could put quarters in and it would play music for the whole resturant without anyone knowing who picked the music. We played "Ring of Fire" over and over and over and no one knew it was us. People started yelling out loud, "No more Johnny Cash!". At some point the proprietor pulled the plug on the main machine and stated loudly that we had abused our priviledge.

Greg

• jermen
    18 years ago

LOL....greg that's too funny....i like johnny cash..so you have abused your privledge,.and i know who you are, LOL.....

i love the funk brothers (motown)...the mavericks...whoever sings "counting flowers on the wall"..and "make the world go away".....pink floyd....sade...elvis....too many to list.

jeri

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

Counting flowers on the wall - Statler Brothers.
    Make the world go away - Eddie Arnold.

I have so many, each for a different mood perhaps, ranging from Country to classic, and more. Not all of any one, some of most except that in my (my own personal)opinion the thing wrong with Rap is that they left the C off the front of the name.
    A short partial list begins with Buddy Holley, Elvis, Neil Diamond, Roy Orbison, Ray Price, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash, The Everly Brothers, and I could go on and on for different reasons. My wife also likes most of the above, also likes Bruce Shriekscream but Jersey Girl is about the only one of his that I ever really liked.
    I have lived long enough to watch some of these people grow up, mature, make enough money to get the best songs and arrangements to record, the best musicians to put together a band with a sound that is right for their kind of music and evolve to become stars, some become tremendous entertainers along with their singing ability. I even like them Soggy Bottom Boys with their Man of Constant Sorrow. ":^) Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.
    Bill P.

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

My favorites have got to be Chuck Berry,Rodney Crowell ,and Harold Jenkins.But I could add sooo many more.
    Ann.

• david52 Zone 6
    18 years ago

Gram Parsons

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

Tough question....amongst the candidates - Pat Metheny, REM, Beatles, Radiohead, Steely Dan, though there are many many others who are right up there!

Craig

• madplanter57
    18 years ago

Have to pick more than one! Robert Earl Keen; Nickel Creek; Marvin Gaye; Boz Scaggs; lots of old Motown artists... and on and on...

• lumierefrere
    18 years ago

Clannad, Alan Parsons Project, Michal Towber. Lute music. That reminds me, time to find the Renaissance Christmas music.

• bigcheef
    18 years ago

OK, guys. If you have never heard of Jack Johnson, give this guy a listen. He has a style that is dificult to classify. If I had to put a lable on his sound it would be Folk Jazz Island Rock. Don't let that classification scare you though. His lyrics are what really make his songs. He has a way of making profound statements within his music that make you think:

"It seems to me that maybe, pretty much always means no."

-Jack Johnson-

• thedens
    18 years ago

So many, I can't even remember them all. Nickleback, 3 Doors Down, Motorhead, Rammstein, Staind (although they only had one good cd, everything since has stunk), Rush, Creed, Foreigner, Journey, Loreena McKennett, Enya, Dave Koz, Van Halen (without David Lee Roth), Peter Gabriel, Live, a guy in Canada who calls himself Daedal (Friend of a friend, he hasn't cut a record deal but he's got to be the most talented kid in the world with a keyboard and a computer. His stuff is kind of Nine Inch Nails-ish, but better)... I'm forgetting a ton, but that's a good start. ;-)

Denna

• hortist
    18 years ago

Ill focus on the word recording (ie studio work)

I didnt see Daniel Lanios mentioned. He does great work on his own as well as the many great albums with other artists (Neville Brothers, U2, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan).

I would say the Beatles. Some of their works are like "sound paintings" which create a mood and imagery. Also Jimi Hendrix in the studio with Eddie Kramer produced some innovative things.

There are also progressive bands with great studio work like Steely Dan, Gentle Giant, Weather Report, Brand X, King Crimson, Brian Eno and Godley & Creme.

Country music has had some outstanding recording artists too. I think all the good ones have passed away but Chet Atkins comes to mind.

Im not sure were to place his work but Les Paul is also quite the recording pioneer.

• hortist
    18 years ago

Ah speaking of Canadians, Bruce Cockburn

• gflynn
    18 years ago

Ah Fripp and Eno; "Evening Star".

Some real favorites of mine (based on records) include an old Pink Floyd bootleg, "Filmore West" 1972. It included 3 records one of which was essentially "Dark Side of the Moon" one year before the album was released. The other two records discs included live versions of "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun", "A Saucerful of Secrets" and many others that they made before they became truely popular.

Also what about Genesis? I had a 3 recordset of a bootleg series called "Rarest" Truely good stuff.

Nothing like live music and unfortunatly you can only get it in the form of a bootleg.

Greg

• TJG911
    18 years ago

WOW! a rammstein vote!!!!

i was going to reply, but NO ONE absolutely no one here ever heard of rammstein, except for denna!

tom who is listening to reise, reise as i type

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

greg,

I too abused those table side jukeboxes back in the 70's when at lunch with co workers in a small tavern (they had the best cheeseburgers). I would repeatedly play "Roll On Big Mama"...and there was the sound of a big rig revving its' engine that I found particularly amusing. While my coworkers gave me looks that could kill, the other patrons just looked at each other and smiled each time it replayed.

Sue

• thedens
    18 years ago

Heheh, it looks like stuff you can headbang to isn't all that popular with the gardening crowd, Tom. I guess it's up to us to maintain this gang's wild streak. ;-)
    Forgot the Offspring, and Godsmack has done a few things I love too, although a lot of their stuff all sounds the same.

Denna

• gflynn
    18 years ago

Sue,

Rock on!

Puff the magic dragon works well too ;-)

Greg