Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loagiehoagie

Most influential relative

loagiehoagie
18 years ago

I love my Grandpa. He always kept a salt shaker in the glove box and we would drive out to farm stands and buy tomatoes and eat them all on the way back home!

He was a great man. I loved him alot. Not a day goes by hardly that I don't think about him.

My dad is a super guy too. My mom is me hero. She has had more misfortune in her life and still fights. I wish I had as much fortitude as her. I don't think I would have fought the way she has through four heart attacks this year and being blind for the last decade. I give her a lot of credit.

Who in your life do you thank?

Duane

-30-

Comments (14)

• earlystart
    18 years ago

to many to name!

• worth1
    18 years ago

My oldest brother he got me started on smokes beer and the Marines, Gee Thanks.

• griley
    18 years ago

My grandfather. He was the hardest working man I ever knew and the happiest...always whistling and singing.

• jermen
    18 years ago

granny....she made us (6 grand-kids) anything we wanted for breakfast as we woke up....and she prayed constantly....

jeri

• hedwarr
    18 years ago

I was raised by my grandfather. as a little kid i was teased by other kids because i lived with an old man, but that old man taught me things that most kids my age at the time were really missing out on. My "POP" was an avid hunter and fisherman so so that was a way of life for me. When most or all of my class mates were watching cartoons on saturday mornings I was trudging through five miles of brush and stickers in my chest waders,in the relative early darkness to get to the stream to bag our limit of rainbows before everyone else got there. At nine he taught me to tie my own fishing flies(which i still do). He taught me the proper way to handle firearms and safety for myself and others in the woods. He took me moose huntind in canada, boar hunting in tennessee, salmon fishing in michigan,and bone fishing in marathon.When i was eighteen POP died in my arms on the floor due to a heart attack. Being eighteen and having no place to go and no one to go there with, I easily could have gone down a bad road,but POP taught me more than just hunting and fishing, hetaught me to watch and learn from other people, have self respect and respect for others and to keep my mouth shut(which i still have a hard time doing). Things worked out o.k for me thanks to my grandfather. I love and miss you POP.

• annschickenfarm
    18 years ago

My favorite was my grandpa too.He taught me to love gardening.He passed away about 17 years ago but my dad says the forget me nots that my grandpa gave me still grow every year where I planted them 20 years ago.
    Ann.

• vgary
    18 years ago

My maternal Grandmother and Grandfather farmed. Neither had much education. Grandpa was a model farmer; he knew the land and the seasons like the back of his hand. They grew a large variety of fruits and vegetables; many of these were preserved by homecanning or placed in the ground on a small hill he created. This was layered with dry straw and contained root crops and cabbages which were then covered with a large heavy tarp on top of which soil was heaped. I enjoyed their fresh carrots, cabbages, and turnips in late winter and was always amazed when I went with them to get them out.
    In addition he had a building where he kept apples and several vasrieties of potatoes. The impression of the taste of his Horse Apple is imprinted in my memory. Big Horse Creek Farm, by the way, has this variety in their tree collection.
    In late winter he started his Sweet Potato growing bed by laying in a good thick layer of fresh horse manure and then layering good enriched topsoil; he then began his Sweet Potato starts in the bed which was warmed by the heat of the manure. The bed was protected from the cold. Farmers came from miles around to get his Sweet Potato slips.
    My ultimate experience after my last heart surgery, I decided to save my own Heirloom tomato seed. I was alone at the time and followed Carolyn's directions to a T. It was in those moments when the seed settled to the bottom of the container that I realized I was experiencing what Grandpa and others who carry on the tradition of seed saving was the sense of accomplishment. My heart was overcome with emotion and I cried tears of joy. I stood where he had stood and experienced what he and others have experienced.
    Realizing the lessons I learned from Grandpa, I make every effort to share what I know about gardening with children/young people. Growing/learning is possible at every age!
    Sorry for being so long here; with tears in my eyes, Thank You, Duane, for starting this thread.
    Gary/Louisville

• nctomatoman
    18 years ago

Grandfather on my mom's side - though most family members thought him to be very difficult! I got to see a very different side - we had a blast right up until he passed at 90, while I was in graduate school (ancient history)!

Craig

• PaulF_Ne
    18 years ago

My dad. He gardened and made me work in it even though I hated it. Little did I know how much it would help me years later whenI decided gardening was cool. He was a world class sprinter in the 40's, was offered a pro baseball contract by the Cubs in the late 40's, but chose to go to school and became a teacher and coach. He also said he would not have been able to spend the time necessary to be a good father.

He taught me to perservere in hard times, how to fish and how to get along with all sorts of people. After 20 years of teaching Chemistry, Physics and Biology he went back to school to become an Optometrist so he could give his family a better life. Not being very handy with tools, he wasn't able to teach me mechanics or woodworking, but he did teach me to figure things out so I could teach myself.

• shesalittlebear
    18 years ago

My Grandfather (mom's dad). Gramps is 81. He was the only father I ever had. The "real" one divorced my mom when I was two...Lived his life never contacting us...Then had the nerve to die when I was 12. That's okay. My stepfather raised us. He is a very good man, but still my grandfather is my best role model and closest father figure. It's beautiful to see the next generation (my nieces) have such a close and special bond with him. The 2 year olds face lights up whenever she sees and YELLS "UMPA".."UMPA".."UMPA"

• earl
    18 years ago

Your stories thouch my heart, but hedwarr's touched me the most, as I grew up much as he did, but did it on my own as I didn't have anyone to guide me. Times were rough.

• loagiehoagie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Earl, you did more than fine IMHO. You are a gentleman of the first order. May you and Kathy have a joyous and blessed holiday season. Let's kick 2005 to the curb asap and get on with some tomato growing in '06.

Duane

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

I come from both Greek and Italian decent (50/50) - so growing up involved alot of family type social activities, gardening, and of course eating !!! Both sets of grandparents have taught me and are still teaching me how to love and stay together through thick and thin, lots of life lessons, as well as how to become a master gardener .... Their specialties are more towards flowers and landscaping ~ but they sure have been enjoying the "fruits" of my labor every summer, as I always bring fresh veggies to their tables ~ Tom

ps. My Mom and Pop have also been great too .... Have happy and healthy holidays everyone !

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    11 years ago

I hope this isn't too much of a faux pas here, but I just stumbled on this thread and it's marvelous.

And keeping a salt shaker in the glovebox is a great idea.