Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worth1_gw

Pictures of Alaska BURRRRR!!!!

worth1
18 years ago

This is the man I work with his name is Richard, a real great guy.

Here is the noonday sun.

A drilling rig at noon.

One of the places I do my testing in.

I call this the long road home.

IÂm not in Texas any more

And last but not least the truck I drive and work out of.

Who says a Texan cant drive on ice and snow?

I have to drive out here where itÂs parked now to have a smoke Richard is back in the building that you saw earlier.

Its 40 below zero out side at this time, and me with out my parka, darn.

Love all

Worth

Comments (14)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Hey Worth! Great piccies. Richard looks like a cheerful enough sort.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    18 years ago

Worth,

with being on dial-up it will probably be Tuesday b4 your pics will have downloaded here.

the first one is 1544px by 1024px...not sure how many KB that is...

Sue...who is anxiously waiting to see your pics...thanks for sharing.

• rxkeith
    18 years ago

worth

that noon day sun looks like here in calumet. we can go days without seeing the sun during the winter here because of snow or cloud cover. we haven't had 40 below here yet. we got close a couple years ago. its a dry cold though, so it doesn't feel as bad. yeah....uh huh....right.

keith in calumet

• loagiehoagie
    18 years ago

Worth, thanks for sharing that, man! Awesome, truly awesome.
    You are one unique individual, seriously! May you and your wife have a wonderful Christmas and be blessed for a great 2006! Me and my lovely DW wish you the best in 2006!!!!

Best wishes,

Duane and Laurie

• zucchini
    18 years ago

okay, looks cold...was in Alaska a few years ago,,,up the Inside Passage on The Alaksa Marine Highway Ferry...just rode up walked around at each stop, spent a couple of hours in Skagway and headed back to Prince Rupert B.C.,before taking the train back across Canada to Toronto..then Halifax..was a great trip. Have been trying to get my husband to go to Alaska with me..Something felt wonderful up there. We have lots of snow here, but not like Alaska.
    Right now, I am under my sleeping back watching the Shinning...and thinking I should have gone to sleep when my husband did. This movie was scary when I first saw it and still is...

Martha/zucchini

• griley
    18 years ago

Worth,
    Will you be home for Christmas or do you have to go back before then? My best to you and your wife...hope she is feeling good! gina

• gonefishin
    18 years ago

Thanks for the Pics. Worth. Does look a mite chilly and that y'all might have got a little frost last night.

Can you imagine how the wild life survives that kind of cold, out there nekkid without any protection.

I guess that somehow someone figured out that facility, probably a flyspeck on the landscape, could somehow scare the hell out of the caribou. If they were really smart, they would be hanging around the place trying to find some warmth and something to eat. It really amazes me that man was able to find the right technology to build that place in those harsh conditions and maintain it.
    If you are using Photobucket, you can click on Edit after your pictures are uploaded, then resize to 75percent of what they were changed to when uploaded and that will prevent having to scroll horizontally to read the associated text, and probably help the page to load faster on Sue's computer.
    Stay warm man.
    Bill P.

• LandArc
    18 years ago

hey Worth,

Now those are some big open spaces! Keep that parka close man.

Bob

• TJG911
    18 years ago

nice pictures worth. i am surprised the sun is out you must be pretty far south ;-)

tom

• worth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tom and rest.
    The pictures of the noonday sun are somewhat of a joke.
    The sun doesnÂt even come up over the horizon that is just a glow from the sun.
    It lasts for about 2 hours and then it gets dark again.
    This is as far north as you can get via road (north coast of Alaska) that picture was taken with 800 ASA with the aperture set all the way open and the shutter speed set at 30 and a real steady hand.
    IÂm surprised they even came out.
    I think the snow helped!!!!!

Worth

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

Worth,

Stay warm and get as much rest as you can - looks like you've been super busy ! ~ Tom

• Bruce_B
    18 years ago

Great pictures Worth. It looks darn cold, guess it'll be a few months before there's a tomato patch out back of those buildings. ;-)

Which airport do you end up at and how far do you drive?

• worth1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bruce

I arrive in Anchorage at around 1 in the morning on Thursday along with a bunch of other guys from all over the US and we all stretch out on the floor and the airport seats and wait for 5:00 am to roll around. (We all look like bums) LOL
    Then we get our tickets for the Conoco Phillips / BP shared services flight at 7:00 am to Dead Horse. (ItÂs free for us)
    Upon arrival at Dead Horse we step off of the 737 onto one of Two busÂs either one marked MCC / PBOC or BOC and we head for the place we live.

As far as the driving distance it all depends on where the well pads may be.
    May be 20 miles some times less, itÂs a big spider web of roads that are real hard to get used to no land marks, just those reflectors to tell you that you are still in the road and what side your on.
    With it all white and the snow blowing it can be real hectic and you can end up down in a hole real easy. NOT a good place to be at 40 below.

PS At the air port lounge/bar and grill you can just get up and go out side and have a smoke and come back they wont call the police for walking a ticket, they know you will be back, the same ladies work there and they know who we are, most of us give good tips.
    They told us that us (Slopers) kept them and their families fed so they treat us good.

Worth

• earl
    18 years ago

Those pics must be from 20 years back. :-) I thought Alaska had melted.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm