Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: I hope you understand...

Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 19:29

As of March 1st, 2009 any SASE that I fill will have to include a printout of that SASE address page at WinterSown.Org.
Too many people have taken advantage of my generosity and published the Six Pack SASE address on websites or shared it through list-serves; the Your Choice Tomato SASE list is also circulating through emails, which is a shame because the offenders don't update the list and I have to deal with lists that are several months old and many of the varieties long exhausted--I'm the one who has to make apologies and send substitutes.

The problem is that people are just raiding my non-profit for free seeds without bothering to discuss or share info about Winter Sowing, which is why I started the Seeds for SASE programs; originally I had to give people seeds to get them to try it. Though Winter Sowing is now widely accepted and recognized by the USDA as a method I still continue to share seeds.

The address pages at WinterSown.Org have a neat little calendar application that shows the current date. If the printout calendar date is more than a week older than the USPS cancellation date on the letter the SASE is mailed in then the SASE is invalid, or if no printout arrives the SASE is also invalid. The instructions are clearly stated on the website.

I hope you understand, but the hemorrhaging has to end. I will still continue to share seeds but now a visit to WinterSown.Org and the dated address printout are required.

T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: I hope you understand...

I think you're doing the right thing, Trudi. Folks have to realize that the postage is their responsibility and if they don't make an effort to use the current listing, then they need to be disappointed. The requirements for those things have always been on your website and no one should be surprised.

Those who post lists on other sites are guilty of causing the problem. A link to Wintersown would be okay, but why people post a list that is constantly changing is beyond intelligent comprehension.

You certainly have my support.

Ted

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 4, 09 at 19:06

Trudi,

This is not at an unreasonable request. I'm only sorry that it had to get to the point of being issued. Hopefully, this will put an end to the problem and make your life a bit easier.

Thank you for all that you do for the Tomato growing community.

jan

o

Trudi, Will make it a goal this year to grow out alot of seeds for you in tomatoes. Hope others with extra seeds can donate to you for this.

ML

o

Thank you all.

The WinterSown.Org seed programs don't just benefit the average gardener, they also benefit organizations too. In the last month I've sent seeds to 4H clubs, Veteran's Administration Hospitals, community gardens that help foodbank clients, and most recently, 1500+ packs to Beltsville, MD where a youth education and outreach coordinator will share them among youth groups like 4H, FFA, Scouts, etc. In a few more weeks I'm teaching a senior group to sow and grow tomatoes; heritage plants are something they're very keen on learnig; heirloom tomatoes make that easy because there is something for everyone.

God bless everyone who has shared and cared!

T

o

Trudi,

Thank you for all your hard work, and for sharing, not only your seeds but your knowledge. I've been gardening for many years but have avoided collecting tomato seeds because I did not like the idea of growing a smelly cup of mold. After I got my envelope back from you which included not only great seeds (including extras) but a nice leaflet on how to clean tomato seeds in 1/2 an hr. without mold, I decided it was time to start. Now I've alread collected my first tomato seeds and have done some research on cross pollination and am planning on bagging some blossoms and saving alot more seeds. If all work out I am planning on sharing. I planted 21 different varieties this year and am going to share my extra plants with neighbors.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here