Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: help!!!!

Posted by duane1974 new hampshire. (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 19:42

hello everyone. im new here and i'm just starting a new plant venture. i am haveing a very hard time germinating the seeds of my plants and flowers that i have, and i was wondering if anyone could help me with some cuttings or seedlings. i have been doing all kinds of research for propagating and things like that but i cant get the seeds to germinate , so i cant even begin. can someone please help. thank you, duane @ dcleeproduce@yahoo.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: help!!!!

Duane,

I recommend getting this book and reading it then re-read it and then keep it on hand as a Bible of sorts > http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-When-Counts-Growing-Mother/dp/086571553

But a few pointers: Ground temps need to be above 64 degrees F for most seeds to germinate properly. Moist and cold can kill a seedling trying to emerge, known as "dampening off". Also, if you bought the seed at Walmart, local lawn/garden etc. or even local co-op chances are they are old or not good enough quality to germinate a successful percentage.

If you order good quality seed from reputable companies like Burpee, Park Seed etc.(depending on your region in the country(I'm in the southeast) and follow a few guidelines for direct seeding, you should have successful germination on a good quality seed with right conditions in 4-7 days. For smaller seeds sow 4-6 seeds per planting hole, for larger seeds like corn, beans etc 2-3 seeds, then thin according to guidelines. this will ensure some percentage of success to emerge.

Also, having properly prepared fine seedbed, planting at the right depth, and covering with loose fine humus/compost is a major factor as well.

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here