Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajsaylor

HAVE: kumato seeds!

asaylor
17 years ago

Hi, I have obtained from friends overseas 5 sets of Kumato seeds, each from a different fruit. Kumato seeds are not available commercially, and the company that produces Kumato, Syngenta, has said they will never make the seeds available to the public.

As you can imagine, this announcement generated a large amount of interest in the Kumato and its possible lineage. While most likely a hybrid, some have speculated that it is an OP variety. In case you have not heard of Kumato, it is a "black" tomato introduced last year available only in Europe and Australia that is supposed to have a good shelf life. From its incredible sales last year in Sainsbury's grocery stores (the only stores to sell the Kumato), it was a very popular introduction.

If you would like to try this rare and much sought after variety (seeds were sold on eBay for astronomical amounts) I am more than happy to offer them to you for a trade. While I don't have a specific "want" list, I especially like anything rare or unusual, or your favorite or a family heirloom. Just send me your trade list; I'm sure I will find something I want! I am always on the lookout for more varieties to add to my obsession...I mean, collection...of tomato seeds! My only requirement in addition to the trade is that you must give me a report on the plants you obtain--the leaf type, habit, fruit color, size, taste, etc.--so we can figure out for ourselves just what Kumato is!

You can either reply to this post or send me an email from my member page.

Happy gardening!

AJ

Comments (22)

• disgett
    17 years ago

AJ what a find!! I know you are excited. I have planted all my good heirloom seeds I have traded for. This is my second year growing heirloom tomatoes. My husband grew up on a farm so I have alot of help/knowledge. If you are willing to share a few seeds I can send postage and a promise to give you an update every week or so. Keep us posted on how well they do please. Dale

• madplanter57
    17 years ago

Hi, AJ
    I e-mailed you about the Kumato, but wasn't sure you got the message. Please see my list and let me know if we can trade.
    Thanks bunches!
    Denise(madplanter57)

• mirka_g
    17 years ago

Hi I am interested in some seeds. Have a list I could send but do not think I can do it through gardenweb email
    Have St remy Perfit that I bought in Portugal
    MAry

• msdixiegirl
    17 years ago

Am I too late for this offer, If not please take a look at my trade list and see if I have anything you might want. I would love to grow these and keep a report for you, Thanks and I hope to hear from you, Dixie

• hardeng
    17 years ago

Please look at my trade list too! I have some interesting Italian varieties of Basil and Tomato seeds as well as some Tabasco Pepper (very hot!).

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

How did those turn out? I'd still like to try kumato just to see what it's like.

• magnolias4ever
    16 years ago

Wow -- this sounds interesting! I also would like to know everyone's opinions on this tomato... how did the seed trial go? :-)

• sumilea2008
    16 years ago

Any updates anyone? I would like to see pictures of those who grew Kumatos. Not much information available on the web.

Sumilea

• rpkunn_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Hi Asaylor:

I am late on this, however, I would like to know where I can get some Kumato.. I am from India and am growing hydroponic Tomatoes. Also any suggestion on best tasting varities is appreciated. I am also looking for Paul Robeson.

In India we get only hybrid ones. I am interested in mostly Heirloom varities and exclusive hybrids (generally the best tasting and attractive variety).

Thank you

Philip

• tomatoaddict
    15 years ago

I grew Kumato this year. It was great!! I have pics but don't know how to post them on here. There are pics on my blog. Tomatoaddict.blogspot.com.
    I have seeds if anyone is interested.

• brian_m_wahl
    14 years ago

I spend winters in Murcia Spain and buy Kumatos in the weekly street market. Can I just save the seeds and plant them? Isn´t this a hybrid?

• jparsix_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

If anyone is checking this out; my husband grew up on a farm and his father use to take seeds from whatever vegetable-dry them out and then plant them later that year.(Corn was hung to dry out and the kernels were planted later)Kumatos are sold in the Food Lion supermarkets in the USA. At the time of this writing, my husband sent me a pic text earlier today to see if I knew anything about them! I'm a tomatoaholic!!!! I will obtain these treasures and try to plant them and see how well they will do!!!

• rd-marcilla_yahoo_com_ar
    12 years ago

how can I get kumato tomatoes seeds?
    Thank you Roberto

• angmcastillo_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I would also like to know how I can get some Kumato seeds or where I can find them in the U.S.

• GardeningWithTheBoys
    11 years ago

Where I live, Kumato Tomatoes are sold at Schnucks Supermarkets. Hope this helps :)

• donaldl
    11 years ago

as a hybrid plant the seeds from the fruit will probably not produce anything like the desired product, which is how the company keeps a market going. I note no follow-ups by people who grew the seeds, which seems to confirm the lack of success. Anyone have good results?

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

I have Kumato seeds, if anybody want them just pm me with your address so i can send you for free

• leo_leo_1
    10 years ago

One more picture of Kumato

• Pam2012
    10 years ago

I would like to have some kumato seeds.

• rjs55555
    9 years ago

Just an FYI, they seem to grow true and I do not think that they are a hybrid at all. You can buy a pack of kumatos and save the seeds.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

There is another thread discussion going on about Kumato. So I wanted to resurrect this thread.

@rjs5555
    I have also read the same thing, that seeds from F1 fruits grow true. So to test that my self, I took seeds from store bought Kumato (from Trader Joes) and started one. It is growing in my garden right now and it has flowers. So in a month or so I should be able to find out how it works.

The plant has dark green foliage (Compared to other varieties growing next to it) and has a leggy growing habit with very few branch outs.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Kumato isn't a variety. It's a name that they stick on more than one kind of tomato (they're brown, but they can be different sizes). I've seen a Kumato tomato patent; so, I wouldn't want to grow any of those, personally (it's probably illegal to grow them, if the patent is valid—although I have a hard time imagining that the patent is valid, unless they genetically engineered the tomatoes or something interesting like that, but I wouldn't risk it here). The patent mentions cytoplasmic male sterility (so, it's possible that they're trying to breed that into their tomatoes, whether or not the current tomatoes have the sterility).

I tasted some medium-sized Kumato tomatoes from the store. They were pretty good, but still mild, as store tomatoes tend to be. Paul Robeson is much more flavorful, though, IMO; my Paul Robeson tomatoes were also at least as brown as the Kumato tomatoes I tasted, but not nearly as firm.

Sponsored