Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

have: your choice tomato sase, now 150 varieites

trudi_d
14 years ago

It's a wonderful selection of sizes, shapes, colors and DTMs--there is something for everyone.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Choice Tomato SASE

Comments (55)

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you Karen! I think it's prudent to send your seeds in the same envelope--makes good sense.

Kindly,

T

• Melissa
    14 years ago

I just ran across your post. I am so excited. Sending sase next week along w/ a small donation. I thought they had a database of seeds that people send in that you could choose seeds from? Is that not the case?
    thanks
    melissa

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The list is what's current in the seedbank, the list is updated several times a week as items are exhauseted or new stock added.

I'll keep an eye out for your letter.

Thank you!

Trudi

• dickiefickle
    14 years ago

many thanks trudi

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are very welcome Dickie, I'll keep an eye out for your SASE.

T

• sfmathews
    14 years ago

Trudi, I have a request I'll be sending in, along with a $5 donation and some seeds to share. I hope to get it in the mail this week.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Susan

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bless you and thank you Susan!

T

• heirloomtomato
    14 years ago

Trudi;
    Just wanted to follow up and say thank you SO MUCH for the great seeds you sent! I am so happy to finally get the one that has my daughters name - I know it's a small thing but I have been looking for it for awhile so it made my day to get it. Thank you for your generosity and I hope to have more new varieties to share this fall with WinterSown- with more seeds to go around I hope! LOVED the e-card!
    Thanks again!
    Karen

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're very welcome Karen! I just got back home from teaching a class on heirloom tomatoes at one of state arboretums, turned on my email and saw heirloomtomatoes right there, lol. It's a small world! It's a delight to share information about tomatoes and share the tomatoes as well.

I gave to each of my class attendees (mostly seniors) five different packs of maters--Marglobe, Black Cherry, Fuzzy Peach, a blend of mixed heirlooms so they can grow them and save the best of the best and develop their own "backyard blend", and tonight we sowed Golden Dwarf Champion which they can grow inside on their windowsils.

It was a wonderful event because everyone had a story about a tomato or growing them. Tomatoes touch on everyone's culture or recipes. Tomatoes are something that connect almost everyone.

Wishing you luck with the maters,

Kindly,

Trudi

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

What a great resource! Thank you, Trudi!

Congratulations on obtaining your 501 (c) (3) status. I don't envy you -- have assisted other organizations with the process and it can be incredibly tedious and time-consuming.

Am sending out my SASE and the list today!

Regards,

Rain

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Rain, I'm glad you like the list and website, it's a labor of love.

I became a 501c3 some years ago. I agree it's a tedious undertaking in a large organization, especially when there are committees involved in the process. But here, there is a small committee here of Me, Myself and I, so usually all are in agreement with 'the boss' and things get done quickly. When I'm at odds with myself I settle it with a little guidance from the I Ching. I had an attorney, who is a friend of the family, do the legal filing--I can't remember the total end cost but it was under a grand.
    Certainly not cheap, but worth every penny.

T--who has been and is still on several committees for other organizations. I actually can't stand committees and it makes my teeth grit because committees move about the speed of a sea slug that's been shot in the foot ;-O

• plantman50
    14 years ago

Sending SASE plus $5.00 donation. Thank you!!

• amberroses
    14 years ago

I just received the seeds you sent. Thank you so much! You run a wonderful organization.

• molly_and_me
    14 years ago

So happy to see that you told mojavebob he could send another sase. I sent in a donation the first time and was thrilled with the seeds you sent.

I am sending another donation and another list. I have extra flower seeds if you are interested.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Molly, I appreciate the good feedback! It's nice to know that people are happy with the seeds I've sent.

I will be proud to share whatever seeds you can send--that's so kind of you. It helps a lot.

Bless you and thank you, I very much appreciate your contributions!

Trudi

• blameitontherain
    14 years ago

Just received your seeds today, Trudi. Thank you!

Love your description of the average speed of committee work. Board meetings move at about the same pace and are indicated on my calendar as BORED mtgs.

Keep up the fabulous work!

Rain

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for letting me know the seeds got there, that was fast!

I spent yesterday putting a few new varieties on the list--theings go off and things come on.

Thank you to everyone whe has shared seeds and made this list possible!

T

• swansonericj
    14 years ago

Hi I just filled out a form and will be sending it in tomorrow. I also included 4 different types of heirlooms (about 20 seeds each)that were not listed on your website so hopefully that helps you out some. Thanks for running this.
    eric

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Eric for helping me to keep it running ;-)

Trudi

• swansonericj
    14 years ago

Seeds should be to you by friday at the latest...thanks again

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much, I'll keep an eye out for it.

T

• kellydanger
    14 years ago

this might be a stupid question (maybe I missed it on the site), but do we send cash or check for the $5....if check, made out to whom? thanks!

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most do check to "WinterSown Donations". A receipt comes with your seeds.

Thank you for asking.

T

• kellydanger
    14 years ago

my envelope & donation are on the way! (and you'll see my cutie dogs on my checks - haha!) :)

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ruff, Ruff, RUFF! I always wanted to do something like that--so cute to put your pets on a check. Makes sense too--we call Lizzy 'The MoneyPit'.

• swansonericj
    14 years ago

Thanks again for all the seeds Trudi...and thank you for setting up the wintersown organization which i am sure has taken you a ton of time to make and keep up. I can't wait to plant the seeds in the next couple weeks. One last question for you about how you keep your tomatoes from cross pollinating. Do you cover them with sleeves or distance or just take the chance they cross pollinate at 4-5%.
    If you want to email me back it is swansonericj@gmail.com. Thanks

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In my own garden I plant only one variety per bed, and that would be three or four plants per bed depending upon the size of the plant and the width of the bed. Most of the beds are 4 x 8 though a few are a bit narrower. In the much, much larger beds I do rows and have a living wall of plants like amaranths or sorghum separating the tomatoes--so logically, that should hinder any rare windblown pollen. I can't do anything about syrphids except to provide them a smorgasbord to visit throughout the rest of garden. There are a LOT of flowers here. Ideologically, I'm totally 100% OP. In my own garden I do not interfere with the natural pollination process--no bagging.

I cannot maintain a very large list just on donations or what I grow so I do purchase some stock for that. At WinterSown there are some hybrids on the list, I know Sun Gold just went on. And I just ordered several more hybrids in large amounts.($igh.) After last season it was important to add some very disease-resistant hybrids. Late Blight hit the east coast and midwest hard and because of all the news reports the public became aware of the value of hybrids. They may or may not have any particular disease problem in their area but the nervousness must be soothed. So, hybrids are needed on the list.

It's truly a wonderful list--seeds go out, seeds come in, seeds go off, seeds go on. I think Orange FPS was the last to go on. It takes a lot of time to maintain the list, but it's more than something I care about--it's a mitzvah. I do have a lot of fun with the label graphics. There is a picture on every label though most are not picts of tomatoes. I need the pictures for me ;-) I have a gazillion little pigeon holes and the outside of the drawers have a label that matches the packets inside. I am blind as a bat and can barely read the text but I can see the picture well enough to find the drawer quick. I love cheezey clipart; a picture says a thousand words but cheezey clipart says it in ten.

I would like to add a very kind word for the people who have helped WinterSown with donations. The seeds I share don't just go out to the public through SASEs. By far, most of them go to worthy organizations. I share tomatoes, other food plant seeds, herbs and flowers. Earlier this week I mailed out two very large packages filled with tomatoes, veggies and herbs headed to community gardens where most (if not all) of the gardeners are quite broke. One is in VA, the other in WI. The two different climates need different types of seed stock--it's not so simple as just taking a box and throwing in packs of seeds willy nilly. The people who have helped me have helped these people. And there will be many more. Every month there is something else, something more. The economy tanked and people need to supplement their plates--a lot of people have never had to do that before. Next week a large package of tomato seeds--a big BIG package will be going to Beltsville, MD where an outreach and education coordinator with the USDA will distribute the seeds to youth groups and individuals who want to learn to grow tomatoes from seed. And they're learning to clean them with a sani-scrub too. Seed saving is a life skill!

Bless you all.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: More fun: Do you know tomato names?

• kellydanger
    14 years ago

just received my seeds yesterday, Trudi and I couldn't be more pleased!!! THANK YOU!!! You ROCK!

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Hi Trudi ,

I just received my seeds today ! Such a wonderful selection , Wintersown is such a wonderful organization ! Thank you so much ! I can hardly wait for spring to arrive ! Do I understand from a previous post that we can send requests/donations for seeds more than once ? ;-)

~Iris

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iris, I'll always honor a request with a donation ;-)

On Monday I sent down 2k packs of tomato seeds to Beltsville. Donations help make it possible for me to do things like that. I'm very serious when I say that people help me to help people. I'm very stingy conservative with using donated funds--not a nickel is wasted. I recycle and reuse--waste not want not.

Once in a blue moon someone goes nuts and will send at the same time multiple SASEs, each with one alphabetically listed form, enough to cover the entire list from A to Z. That's just an excessive compulsive enjoying themselves by abusing me. It goes over like a lead balloon ;-(

So, I have been asked this question before--how often can one resend? And the answer is that I don't know what's happening in anyone's real life and because of that I suggest to people govern themselves. My Mom was a very practical woman, a child of the depression, and always with sound reasoning. She said about such things, that if you think you're doing something too much it's because you are. Everyone has different wants and motivations and folks will know what is needed to satisfy themselves--they'll know when they need more and they'll know when they are saturated.

If you need a LOT of seeds because of a worthy project I can sometimes help with that too--but, as with everything, I have to know what you're doing and I have to know well ahead of when you're doing it too (at least eight weeks ahead of the sowing date). If I can help I will, if I can't I'll send you in the right direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Group Seed Requests.

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Trudi ,

The reason why I asked about sending in a second donation is I am going to give some of my extra plants ( I always start too many ) to my local Veterans Home , I'm going to check to make sure they have an existing garden or be able to care for a few plants ... I got this idea from a SASE pay it forward idea I am participating in on the seed exchange forum ... the past 2 years since I started gardening again I have been giving away my extra plants to coworkers and friends, I just thought I would expand on this . I am sure I have plenty of seeds to do this but I am always looking for new tomatoes to grow and Wintersown always has so many interesting ones to offer ;-) Thanks again for all the great seeds !

Happy Valentines Day !
    ~Iris

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Iris,

If you haven't sent in your SASE yet just include a small note that you're helping a local veteran's home and need extra seed for that project ;-) It will help me remember. WinterSown has helped with veteran projects and will be happy to help again.

• cat_2100
    14 years ago

Trudi ,
    Still have any tomato seeds left.
    Will have bunches of seed this fall to share with the winter sow peeps.
    thanks
    Cat

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cat, et al,

Yes, I still have lots of tomato seeds left. This tomato seed offer is now a permanent part of WinterSown.Org. Last week I added Cape Gooseberry, which is one of the Solanum Cousins that are on the list.

T

• cat_2100
    14 years ago

Wooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo
    Can ya send me ya addy Trudi would love to send for some seeds.
    Thanks millions

Also will send a huge bunch of mixed columbines for ya to
    give out.
    Thanks
    Cathy

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Cathy,

The list and mailing info are at the link.

T

Here is a link that might be useful: Your Choice Tomato SASE.

• konopka727
    14 years ago

Just want to say thank you very much for the seeds! You don't know how much I appreciate it. This is my first year gardening and I'm very excited!

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're very welcome! I hope they'll all make enough plants and tomatoes for you to share or at least, get some sauce into the freezer ;-)

T

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Catherine,

I sympathize with you, floods are horrible messy things. I'm so sorry to hear about your garden.

I still have lots of tomatoes left to share.

Trudi

• donnamarienj
    13 years ago

Trudi - do you still have Cowlick's? I know I'm a tad late - hee hee.

TIA.

Donna

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I do currently have this variety. Someone very recently donated Cowlick's Brandywine to WinterSown, I deeply appreciate their generosity, I am honored to share their seeds, and the seeds of so many other good folk too.

Recent online discussion does generate interest, so I can't determine how long this seed stock will last. It's always first come first served, so do send your SASE as soon as you can. Cowlicks is one of the choices on the list, but there are also many other wonderful varieties too. There's a form to print out and fill in, put in six first choices and four defaults ;-)

T

• raisemybeds
    13 years ago

Well I am sending one off in tomorrow's mail - I hope I am not too late!

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YOu've got lots of time to start seeds. I send these back very quick ;-)

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The list is routinely updated but now is maxed again at 150 varieties.

T

• flora2
    12 years ago

Hi
    It is ironic that I found this thread at the end of tomatoe growing season :( but maybe not everything is lost because I am looking for an italian tomatoe I fell in love with--unfortunately I do not know the name but I feel I could recognize it if I saw the photo. Any suggestion of where I can look at some photos? Also, did I read it wrong when I read about winter sowing for tomatoes? Am I losing my mind? I'd appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Flora,

I didn't see your post until just this morning.

You can find tomato photos and info at TomatoBase, I will paste in the link. It's a really wonderful site for information.

Yes, you can WS tomatoes--it's the only way I do it. You're in zone seven as I am am and can WS any tomato and expect ripe fruits well before frost. Folks in colder zones can WS too but they need to use toms with quick to fruit DTMS.

T

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The list has again been updated. People may request seeds as needed.

Thanks,

Trudi

• franc
    11 years ago

Hi Trudi I think we traded about 10yrs ago now I'm one of Those people
    thats is recovering anyways I have alot of basil seed I'd donate if you can
    use it a little bit of hope can go a long way

Take care Franc

• trudi_d
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Franc, so nice of you to think of me. I emailed you but the message came back with an invalid email, so I am writing to you here.

I can use the basil seed, I have been very busy sharing seeds this season and herb seeds would be a lovely to share.

Please use the link below for info about sharing with WinterSown.

Kindly,

Trudi

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Seed_Donations.html

• franc
    11 years ago

I'll send seeds tomorrow sorry don't know why my email didn't work
    but I'll send to the wintersown address I think what your doing is
    wonderful

Take care Franc

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!