Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Challenge

Posted by dcsprout zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 12:01

This is my first year gardening and I've become completely obsessed. I read this forum at least once a day and so appreciate the great information I've found here. It's also comforting to hear from others who are as excited about tomatoes as I am. My friends and neighbors who have watched me add more pots week after week just think I'm nuts... but I'm sure they'll change their tune when they're enjoying the harvest.

So far, things have been going pretty smoothly. Since I have limited space and share a back yard with others in my building, I decided to make a container garden. I bought a Lemon Boy and Better Boy seedling to start in mid-May. Then after spending some time on this site, decided to try a few heirlooms, so added Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, and Gold Medal a couple weeks later (Memorial Day), also from seedlings. In addition, I have a cucumber plant, bush beans, jalepenos, and an assortment of herbs. And because I'm out of room at home, I am growing a yellow pear cherry tomato on my balcony at work.

The Lemon Boy and Better Boy have both set little fruits, with the largest on each being about golf ball size. The heirlooms are all in bloom, so I think they aren't too far behind. The only problem I'm starting to have is curling leaves, yellow leaves, and some brown spots. I think the curling is due to aphids so I picked up some horticultural oil at the garden supply store and gave them a good spray. But I'm not sure what's up with the brown spots. The weather here has been pretty extreme over the last week (hot (90s) and thunderstorms) so I guess that could have something to do with it.

But my real motivation for finally joining and posting is that I discovered a stray tomato plant this morning!! I'm thrilled. It sprung up between the brick and concrete on our patio. I have no idea what variety it is, but I thought I'd try to move it and plant it somewhere it might have a better chance of surviving (ie somewhere it has less chance of being mistaken for a weed). Does anyone have suggestions for how to move it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Image link: Transplant Challenge (0 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Challenge

Ok, the pictures didn't upload, so here's a link to the photos.

http://dcsprout.blogspot.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here