Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gponder

Chadwick Cherry vs Camp Joy

gponder
14 years ago

I was under the impression that Chadwick Cherry and Camp Joy were one in the same tomato. Tomato Fest web site has it listed as 2 different varieties (different descriptions & ripening dates) Does anyone have an explantation?? If they are different, is one superior over the other?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

One variety can have two names, like Sugar Lump also being Gardener's Delight.

I've grown Chadwick Cherry, it's one of the best cherry tomatoes I've eaten, Hubs loves it too and he's very fussy.

• jtcm05
    14 years ago

Gardeners delight is a better red cherry then Chadwicks. Totally tomatoes has GD AND sugar lump listed and for two different prices. Yet another shot to their credibility.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

I looked into the situation with Chadwick's Cherry and Camp Joy quite a few years ago and found out that Alan Chadwick developed the variety at Camp Joy, which was a place associated with Bountiful Gardens where he was in residence.

So I consider them to be the same. I've grown the variety as Camp Joy and have not compared Camp Joy with Chadwick's Cherry in the same season to make a direct comparison.

But since I do know that Camp Joy was kind of a retreat place associated with Bountiful Gardens where Alan Chadwick was, I'm one who tends to think they're the same.

Carolyn

• gponder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your input. Tomato Fest web site lists Camp Joy as having an 80 day ripening date and Chadwick Cherry a 70. I am order and planting both. Will see if there's a significant difference and post later on this summer. Again thank you all for your response.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Will see if there's a significant difference

Glad you're going to do the comparison in the same year b'c I don't consider different DTM's to be significant for a couple of reasons, one being that commercial folks don't grow out new stock all in the same year and second, I've always considered DTM's to be sheer guesstimates. LOL

other than that they're both largish red cherries and fruit size can also be a bit off especially if it's been a wet year or even if there's been too much irrigation in any given year.

For what it's worth, in the SSE Yearbook all who list Camp Joy list it as a 70-75 variety and Chadwick's is listed by someone in Canada as 80 days, from HI as 70-75 days, from OH as 70 days.

And Tania at her data base also equates Chadwick Cherry with Camp Joy and says that Camp Joy is the organic Farm maintained by Bountiful Gardens( where Alan Chadwick spent some time), and CJM says no doubt growing his variety at that organic farm.

Carolyn, who I think first got her info about the two names being the same from Bountiful Gardens and the fact that they were the same. It's been so long ago and I'm so old that the memory is fleeting, but is there. LOL

• noinwi
    14 years ago

I thought that Chocolate Cherry and Brown Berry were the same, but more and more I'm seeing them listed separately on the same sites(I asked about this a few years ago and I'm stilled confused...as that happens easily).

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Brown Berry was bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands and is not an heirloom variety and someone else bred Chocolate Cherry but I can't remember who. They are indeed two separate varieties.

Carolyn

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Thank you, Carolyn!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio