Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveinoz

Tomatoes and coffee grinds

daveinoz
9 years ago

FYI We are in the middle of summer here in Sydney

I had a great experience with coffee grinds several years when I was living in a desert area and growing succulents.

Being a total brown thumb back then I assume grinds were magic but they were probably retaining moisture in the potted plants in 100+ degree heat and feeding them some good nutrients.

I've recently gotten into gardening and planted a couple of vege patches which are - to my total surprise - actually thriving! Well apart from lettuce which I transplanted and subsequently killed but all in all very happy.

My local coffee place gave me 5 gallons of grinds when I asked for them

I added coffee grinds around beans, zucchini, tomatoes, succulents, marigolds and amaranth. I added this straight but only a thin layer around these plants.

The beans, zucchini and tomatoes now have much lighter new growth - almost a bright lime as opposed to the dark healthy green of the rest of the foliage. Some leaves are even half and half - you can clearly see when I added the coffee grinds!

Everything still looks healthy, flowers are forming on cukes and zuch's, tomato plants have just started fruiting...

Is this OK? I am finding the change in leaf color unsettling BUT as I said everything still seems healthy...?

Should I be adding something else to the soil to counter something in the grinds...?

As this is my first vege patch I am of course like a new Dad and freaking out every time ANYTHING different happens :)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH