Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleacres

Mountain series

purpleacres
16 years ago

Howdee there

I grew the mountain gold tomato this last year and loved it. I remember someone telling me there are others in the series. Can any one recomend one of them perhaps a pink or red? Or is there a site that talks of the series?

Thank you

Acres

purpleacres17@aol.com

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

I grew the mountain gold tomato this last year and loved it. I remember someone telling me there are others in the series. Can any one recomend one of them perhaps a pink or red? Or is there a site that talks of the series?

The Mountain series hybrids ( Mountain Gold is OP) were bred by Dr. Randy Gardner at NCSU and they're very popular with commercial growers b'c they are blemish free, solid, productive, and have a long shelf life and ship well.

If you go to any seed source that carries hybrids, such as tomatogrowers.com you can read what varieties in the series they carry and the descriptions that go with those varieties. Check out Totally Tomatoes to see if they also carry some in the series.

The catalogs that carry the most of the Mountain series are commercial wholesale catalogs for the large commercial farmer, so check out the kind of retail places I mentioned above. You can also Google Mountain Tomatoes and see what others you might find, if you wish.

YOu'll find Mountain Princess, which is not one of the hybrid series bred by Dr, Gardner.

I've never grown them but some farmer friends have and still do, so I have tasted some of them.

Carolyn

• mawkhawk
    16 years ago

Yes, TotallyTomatoes carries a bunch of them in their current catalog.

• bizzarbazzar
    16 years ago

Mountain Fresh as well as Mountain Pride are both great varieties in my opinion. Be careful though when getting seeds for Mountain Fresh, this year I did a quick look into some places, and have found the prices to be rather frightening. Look around and be sure you compare prices to the company you are getting them from. I grow in mile high, extremely cold Butte, MT with summer eves often in the low 40's in July and August.
    Hi everyone, Im back :)

• mule
    16 years ago

There is a Mountain Fresh and now a Mountain Fresh Plus (has nematode resistance). That might be the reason for the anomoly in price.

Some of the series is getting harder to find such as Mountain Supreme - which is the variety with a rather complex form of early blight resistance most do not understand. It's fruits are slightly smaller than others in the series so it probably didnt take off for both of those reasons.

Mountain Crest is another new one with longer shelf life.

Mountain Belle is the cherry tomato (I really like it).

Also of note Mountain Gold has been improved and that line is a hybrid called "Carolina Gold"

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

There is a new introduction called Mountain Glory which I was told is Mountain Spring plus Tomato Spot Wilt Virus (TSWV) resistance. Probably not a concern in California yet. But TSWV is a plague in the Southeast.

Funny thing about this discussion is I wrote Rogers Seeds for some QualiT seeds and a rep wrote me back that they didn't recommend QualiT for the Southeast and Midwest ... only for California and the Southwest ... and sent me Mountain Glory instead.

Bill

• denninmi
    16 years ago

I had 4 different kinds of "Mountain" tomatos last year, because the local Meijer store was carrying them, and I bought a 4 pack of each just to see -- they had Mountain Pride, Mountain Gold, Mountain Spring, and Mountain Fresh. They were mediocre in terms of production for me -- the plants fizzled out much faster than other kinds, and yields were low. The flavor of most of them was very good, and the Mountain Gold was superb. I think perhaps they didn't like my climate. Also, they had some kind of funky disease when small - looked ok when I bought them, got a yellow, streaky, misshapen look, like a virus, but I fungicided them and they grew out of it, so that might have diminshed yields.

I wouldn't grow them again here. They probably need a certain climate, where they probably thrive.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting