Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! My tomato seedlings are dying (frost and cold issue)

Posted by Needo none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 6:28

I am first time growing tomatoes and seedlings were very good till yesterday. Seeding age was about 35 days ( from 5th December).

I am growing seedlings in the field under a plastic tunnel. However the tunnel structure was not very good, and there were patches on it where frost and water was accumulating over it. Yesterday there was a shower/rain in evening and then at night lot of frost and it was very cold. The water got accumulated over the plastic sheet over the seedlings ( tunnel height about 18 inches from the ground). At the night the water got frozen due to the cold and frost and in morning when I visited, there was ice cubes over the plastic sheet. I removed the water and ice, and tomato seedlings were looking a bit sick and leaves started dropping.

During day time it was sunny and heat build up under plastic sheet, when i checked the seedlings at noon those were rotting and leaves started to turn brown and burnt. :(

Till evening leaves of 90% of seedlings are damaged and only stem is remaining. Any advice what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! My tomato seedlings are dying (frost and cold is

Even if you could rescue those seedlings, they will not develop into vigorous plants. Though I doubt that they can be rescued as you have described.

I would start anew.

o
RE: Please help! My tomato seedlings are dying (frost and cold is

Agreed. Tomato plants are very fragile and even if you manage to "heal them up" the stress has caused serious development problems which probably will lead to stunted growth, low flowering and few fruits. If I were you I'd re-germinate now and keep them in your house until you can properly harden them off. If you can't keep your ambient temperatures within your hoop house at least 40F, I wouldn't bother trying to grow tomatoes with them.

smithmal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here