Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

US source for Latah seeds?

2ajsmama
10 years ago

I found some from a small farm in Maine but shipping is $5, does anyone know of a larger source (so I can combine shipping with other seeds - not that I need many, I've got quite a collection), or a place with less expensive shipping for 1 packet of seed?

I can also swap if anybody has any - email me for a list. I have a few tomato varieties someone might be interested in, and lots of kale, mustard, and beans.

Comments (18)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Always go first to Tania's data base to find the source of seeds and there is one sources in the US. Sandhill Preservation with over 400 tomato choices and low shipping rates. The other one is Heritage Harvest, in Canada, and I can't remember if they ship to the US, but you can check that out if you wish

Link below for Tania's page and when you go to Sandhill note when Glenn and Linda start accepting orders, by mail only, and I'm sure you'll be happy with what you see at their website, which is:

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/index.html

Carolyn, who knows you won't be able to ignore all the early varieties thay have and I just checked and they do have Latah, bred by Dr.Boe and another one he bred is Sandpoint which you can also check out. .

Here is a link that might be useful: Latah

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Well, while I was typing, Carolyn was posting.

I'll just add that Sand Hill charges $2.00 shipping on orders less than $20.00 (or did last year).

Wonderful vendor (if a bit later than many to get the catalog out and the site up).

I found two other Canadian vendors through a Google beta search; if Sand Hill doesn't have Latah this year, I can check to see if the Canadian sites ship to the U.S.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seems to be a very popular variety in Canada and UK but I was surprised that seeds were so hard to find in US, considering it was developed here. But I knew GWers would come through! Thanks so much.

I will check out Sandhill when they update their website, hope they have them this year. They have chickens too - so we may put in a combined order with my cousin and uncle.

Thanks again - I did see Tatiana's but noticed under General Info that only growers were in Canada, didn't notice Sources tab. I went through 11 pages of a google search using -uk -canada and still found only 2 sources, both in Maine, only 1 gave prices.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

ajsmama, I copied this Google beta seed search from someone on a news site. Her link was set for a particular variety; I just delete the variety name and add the variety (and type of plant) I'm looking for.

I have a link for this special Google search with my other tomato database links, so I just click on it rather than typing the address forever. It doesn't include every seed vendor, but there are often enough of the common ones that it's useful.

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&client=google-coop-np&cof=FORID:13%3BAH:left%3BCX:Vegetable%2520varieties%2520for%2520gardeners%3BL:http://www.google.com/coop/intl/en/images/custom_search_sm.gif%3BLH:65%3BLP:1%3BVLC:%23551a8b%3BGFNT:%23666666%3BDIV:%23cccccc%3B&cx=003472780514561857771:_eyckfdgfmi&adkw=AELymgXKKcoj8ExjLwA_2QQUrTOC56hT5csg6nztOXomwH8QqjOuDih_7udDMbvIgLtF5VsgbKHSInqxR4nHxAwQ_0whzhEXXL9uATYXLPKd8h_o-a-yOzkd46y21DaRePcq3852tVK6X7nnQOMrOZPm4Cm5kLSxSQ&boostcse=0amp;q=Royal+Chico+Tomatoes&start=10&sa=N

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Sandhill updated their seed sources on Jan 17th and I noted above that they do have Latah for 2014.

Glenn Drowns was raised in Idaho and that's where Dr.Boe developed his early varieties..

I don't have his 2014 catalog here by the computer but I think he raised the shipping price just a bit/ But heaven knows there are lots of choices and I for one would suggest you take a look at Moravsky Div, Kimberley and Bloody Butcher as well.And in the back of the catalog he features four folks and their backgrounds, I suppose it's at the website as well, and Dr, Boe is one of them. He then offers seeds as a package for all four, supposedly some of their faves. So you might want to look at that package of Dr. Boe's varieties as well.

Carolyn

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I saw thy updated the "seeds and roots" page on Jan 17 but said see seed and root catalog, pick the fruit or vegetable variety, the tomato page was dated March 2013. Where did you see they had Latah for 2014? It wasn't even listed for 2013.

I am thinking of Bloody Butcher too - I have Cosmonaut Volkov from last year for another early, Grandma Mary's paste is fairly early and so is Rose de Berne, but Latah was the earliest last year and tasted pretty good (given the wet June) but I don't have any seed left (from the original swap or saved).

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Latah was listed in the 2013 catalog, that's the one I have here near the computer. My 2014 one is out in the LV and I'm sure it's listed since Dr. Boe was one of the four folks he featured, as I said above, but I'll check anyway and get back to you here.

Carolyn

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could have sworn I looked under Reds on the 2013 page - twice - and didn't see Latah. But 3rd time's a charm, they did have it, so hopefully they'll have it this year too. I would appreciate info to order it for 2014 if it's listed in the new hardcopy catalog. Thanks

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes, it's listed in the 2014 paper catalog, as I thought it would be.

And near the back of that catalog where Dr. Boe was featured, here's the package deal for his varieties:

Benewah
    Kooterai
    Latah
    Shoshone
    Sandpoint
    Moscow
    Gem State
    Bonner

One pack of each of the above for $15

And next under his name is mine with a package deal as well, but no reason to discuss that one.LOL

Linda does the updating of the paper catalog first, b'c it's more work to do that one since it has to be sent off for printing, then copies lugged to the PO, etc.

While updating a website is easier since it's right there in front of you. But always the section of the heirloom birdies is updated first since many folks scramble to get their orders in early.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for telling me about the Dr. Boe package - does it say to order using that name/description? Many det. types in there, some were not available in 2013 so I'm glad they have them this year. I'm assuming if it's det. and "stalky" it would be good patio plant? I did have a lot of people ask me about keeping them in pots last year when I was selling my extras. Unfortunately I didn't have any that were suitable.

I *am* interested - what did they put in "your" package? And if you don't mind looking, is Bloody Butcher available this year?

I should get on their mailing list.

Thanks

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Let's leave my package aside since it's kind of humorous and this is about what you want.

I can't tell you about plant habit, etc., since the only one I've grown is Sandpoint, and that many years ago and I can't remember. The best thing to do is to go to Tania's superb website and look them up.

Using the Sandhill website just follow the directions for sending a request by mail, their address is there.on the seed order form.

The only change from the 2013 website, if not yet updated is that there's no shipping charge if your order is over $20 and if under that the charge is just $2.

You can also call their phone number,(563)246-2299 and leave a message with your home address asking for a paper catalog.

I'm sure it won't be long until Linda has updated the online seed section.

And yes, Bloody Butcher is in the 2014 paper catalog and I thnnk, but don't have time to check, that the individual Dr. Boe ones are also offered separately if you don't want the entire package. Saying that b'c when I checked for Bloody Butcher I saw Bonner as well.

Carolyn

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - I think I will just order the Dr. Boe package (plus some others like BB - thanks for checking availability). I've already got the order form printed out and will pop it in the mail tomorrow.

I was asking about growing in pots since I've never heard the term "stalky", didn't know if that meant "stocky" since there was a typo mentioned on website "whitest" got printed instead of "widest" for a bean variety.

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

If it helps, I'm looking at my 2014 Sand Hill catalog now and they list Latah on page 68 (under Reds).

"Early, quick growing for Northern areas, cool tolerant, red salad size fruit." Packet is $2.00. (Same as 2013)

Their website is a bit tricky to navigate since it's set up for information rather than online ordering. But shipping is still only $2.00 for less than $20. (Free for orders over $20.) If you click on "News and Updates", you'll see their most recent notes. They say you can use the 2013 order form until they get the new one up.

I mailed off my order today. In an envelope! With a stamp! My kids were all agog, LOL.

And since Carolyn is too modest to describe her package, I'll do it. :) They're offering 1 each of Indian Striped, Ludmilla's Red Plum, Orange Minsk, and Druzba, for $7.50, with the right to substitute from her book if they run out of any of them. It's on page 100 of their print catalog.

Can I say I was feeling kind of warm and fuzzy because two of those are on my plant list for this year (Indian Striped and Druzba)? Hadn't heard of the other two before, but now I'm going to look them up. :)

This post was edited by kathyb912_IN on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 10:03

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

And since Carolyn is too modest to describe her package, I'll do it. :) They're offering 1 each of Indian Striped, Ludmilla's Red Plum, Orange Mink, and Druzba, for $7.50, with the right to substitute from her book if they run out of any of them. It's on page 100 of their print catalog.

Can I say I was feeling kind of warm and fuzzy because two of those are on my plant list for this year (Indian Striped and Druzba)? Hadn't heard of the other two before, but now I'm going to look them up. :)

&&&&&&&

I've never been said to be modest before, so thanks for that. LOL

I submitted a list of varieties to Glenn and he said he didn't have enough seeds of some of them if there was a large demand and he chose the above, Others on my list I think are still offered singly.

But what got me laughing when I first read that is that he is going to chose Varieties from my book if he runs out. Well he darn well better ask me about that b'c there are a few that are NOT my faves. As I wrote in the introduction not all would be my faves since I wanted to try and represent ones that were heirlooms, ones that were deliberately bred, etc.

It should be Indian Stripe, not Striped and that typo has been there for a couple of years, Three years ago I updated many in the catalog as to history, spelling errors, etc.

And I have to e-mail Linda b'c of a few problems and questions I have about a few in the 2014 catalog so she can fix them for the website.

But I'm also in the middle of a huge seed offer elsewhere, and keep forgetting to em her.

Just trying to keep the pipes from freezing, seeing my money go up the flue and in general will be glad to see the start of Spring sooner than later, (smile)

Carolyn, who still needs to send seeds of new ones for trial to the seed companies where she has known the owners fo rmany years. Sigh.

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting that Kathy,

Carolyn's package sounds great! I've always wanted to try Indian Stripe and Druzba. However, I couldn't find anything online about Orange Mink anywhere, then I realized it's another one of their typo's and probably should be Orange Minsk!

Linda

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Not their typo this time, Linda, mine! I just checked and they say Minsk. Sorry to send you searching for the wrong term. I just edited my post to fix it so it doesn't confuse anyone else.

This post was edited by kathyb912_IN on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 10:04

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

An orange MINK would be very interesting b'c all I have here are the normal brown/gold minks who like to play in and around a fast moving brook that goes by my house. LOL

Orange Minsk is a wonderful large beefsteak variety, seeds send to me and several others by Andrey who lives in Minsk, Belarus, There's also an Orange Minsk Heart now.

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Oh that's too funny!

Orange Mink would be a great name for a tomato that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling (LOL).

We have brown mink that sometimes invade our pond and eat our goldfish. They are not at all popular with my husband, who is very protective of his fish.

Linda

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations