Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transpiration

Posted by growneat (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 8:04

I have been reading a little about transpiration and wondered exactly how it works and if growers can or do anything to enhance it and if trying to do so is worthwhile? Understanding why plants wilt and how sugar gets around in the plants seems essential but maybe not to most growers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transpiration

Transpiration occurs when the stomata (pores in the surface of the plant) open up to let in CO2 and let out oxygen. So its nessasary in order for your plant to grow. It's also what causes water and nutrients to move through the plant. So transpiration is pretty important to plant growth. I could get a little more technical and talk about ossmotic pressure and turgor pressure, which is related to water uptake and loss, but that might be more than you want. Perhaps you should google those terms. When the soil gets dry the plant is unable to take water up and then loses turgor pressure. If the turgor pressure gets too low, the stomata close to prevent water loss, which consequently causes the plant to stop photosynthesis, and stop growing. If the plant dries out more, it will begin to wilt. If wilting continues, it will eventually reach the permanent willting point which is where plants can't recover. Probably the best way to in influence transpiration is to use a mulch to cover the soil, which will allow the soil to hold moisture longer and allow the plant to transpire without harm.

o

Let me translate my previous post,
transpiration=good.
Low Soil moisture = Wilting = bad
Add compost to soil to increase water holding capacity,
and place a mulch on top of the soil to hold water in.
Problem solved.

o

Thanks Kevin. I have done quite a bit of Googling on the topic but find that some of the expanations give here exceed what you get by Googling. As an example nobody mentions anywhere that if the plant is dry and the stomata close that no CO2 enters the plant and so photosynthesis stops as does plant growth.

o

Yeah, CO2 entering the stomata is where the plant gets the CO2 and oxygen to perform photosyntheis and respiration. Its one of the main functions of stomata. The other reason is water movement through the plant. I learned all this in my Utah State University plant physiology course, which was taught by Dr. Keith Mott, whose research focuses on stomata. So he may have provided us with some extra understanding of stomata. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here