Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is best tomato to grow in Lower AL?

Posted by kearnspi Zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 8:49

The Mobile Register put out something a few years ago that gave the name (one I've never heard of) of a tomato that they say is the best to grow in this part of AL. I can't find the info now and was wondering if someone could tell me the best tomato to grow in Lower Alabama.

Thanks,
Polly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is best tomato to grow in Lower AL?

FAIK there is no ONE best variety. Theoretically you should be able to grow just about any variety you want to. Tomatoes are tropical fruits after all. ;)

From what I have read you have more heat and humidity to deal with than those further north but you can also plant much earlier than most and so get fruit set before the worst of the heat sets in. Any good anti-fungus control spray program will prevent the disease problems associated with the high humidity.

Alabama Extension Service has a great program and tons of info for local home gardeners so why not explore all the info at their website linked below. They stress early planting times and Celebrity is one variety they recommend but they also say that many other varieties will work very well in south Alabama.

Good luck.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Ext. Services

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here