Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Going Green in 2010

booberry85
14 years ago

I wanted to try some green tomatoes in 2010. I tried growing Green Zebras last year and was not impressed with them. I was thinking of trying Green Sausage and Evergreen. I also have seeds for Aunt Ruby's German Green, Green Grape, Green Giant, Grub's Mystery Green and Malakhitovaya Shkatulka .

Out of this selection, which one(s) would you grow?

Comments (17)

• mulio
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can only recommend Green Giant.

Grub's can be good but was sent out unstable so you dont know whether its good or just fair.

Green Grapes have gone downhill since the release of the originals back in the 80's.

Cherokee Green is not on your list. It is worth trying over the rest.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

I wanted to try some green tomatoes in 2010. I tried growing Green Zebras last year and was not impressed with them. I was thinking of trying Green Sausage and Evergreen. I also have seeds for Aunt Ruby's German Green, Green Grape, Green Giant, Grub's Mystery Green and Malakhitovaya Shkatulka .
    Out of this selection, which one(s) would you grow?

For large fruited ones I'd grow:

Cherokee Green, which is the best of the about 15 different gwripes I've grown

Green Giant

Malachite Box, the MS one which is hard to spell so I've used the English tranlation.

Humph, another one you don't mention.

For a cherry sized one I'd grow:

Green Doctors, which as I recall Mulio may not like, LOL, but many others do and prefer it to Green Grape.

Carolyn

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I can recommend Absinthe--it's a beautiful and luscious beefsteak developed by Alan Bishop. It's wonderfully flavored. Last year I took it down to MAGTAG and it came in second place for flavor.

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I wasn't thrilled with Cherokee Green last season...but I believe it was the weather and not the mater as most people really love that one.
    I absolutely adore Aunt Ruby's German Green....and Evergreen was pretty good...but not quite as good as ARGG.As a matter of fact...my daughter , who doesn't like fresh tomatoes, loved the Evergreens.

• jtcm05
    14 years ago

Green Giant, Cherokee Green and Aunt Rubys German Green Cherry are the only GWRs with better then average taste. I grew grub's in 06 and it was very good, but the seeds i saved from that plant and seeds from my original source have not been the same. Like mulio said, it was not nearly stable.

• pitbulllawyer
    14 years ago

I had a "tomato tasting" party with 150 people. They almost all picked Green Doctors as their favorite of ALL tomatoes, hands down. I love Gren Giant as well, but "Green Zebra" drew a few favorite votes from the crowd. Depends on what you like. tart? Green Zebra. Sweet? Green Doctor & Green Giant (at least in my experience).

• zebraman
    14 years ago

Hey Becky; You did notice that no one recommended Green Sausage? The Aunt Ruby's and Green Giant are both good varieties.
    Green Doctor's are sickeningly sweet with a destinct aftertaste of "Listerine" mouthwash. You won't even be able to give these away for free.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Green sausage was not very good, but made a decent pickling tomato and was very productive. I love ARGG and Green Cherokees, unfortunately their productivity was too low for me to justify growing them. I did not care for Green zebra. I wish there was a green that is both good and productive. Heck, even 3-4 tomatoes per plant would be OK with me (I had way too many Green Cherokees with zero tomatoes). I suppose I should try the cherries next...

• sprtsguy76
    14 years ago

I too like the great depth and sweet taste of Green Doctors. Cherokee Green is another good one that I like as well. These two are my top two for gwr's.

Damon

• tom8olvr
    14 years ago

Last year was a complete bust for me - but 2 years ago Green Cherokee was the best green I've ever had.
    Quite beautiful too:
    {{gwi:430518}}

Green beauty in the back:

Cheers to 'going Green' :)

• HoosierCheroKee
    14 years ago

I'd recommend any of the TaterMater green-when-ripes, including Green Zebra, only for unique appearance. Their flavor is flat to my tastes.

Of the ones mentioned, I'd rank them in the following order for flavor and reliability: Cherokee Green, Green Giant, Aunt Ruby's German Green.

Green Doctors falls somewhere between the description given by Carolyn and Zebraman. LOL! Peculiar flavor would me my comment, but yes, very sweet. Maybe "grassy" or "herb like" more that tomatoey.

• amalthea
    14 years ago

I grew Green Moldovan a while back. It produced a lot and was pretty decent, flavor wise. We used it for fried green tomatos eventually, as we ran out of adventurous souls who would try a green-when-ripe tomato.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Green Doctors falls somewhere between the description given by Carolyn and Zebraman. LOL! Peculiar flavor would me my comment, but yes, very sweet. Maybe "grassy" or "herb like" more that tomatoey.

Hoosier, note that above I didn't even describe the taste of Green Doctors, can do, but didn't, just said it was my favoite small fruited GW ripe.

You and Zebra might want to consider changing your brand of mouthwash in terms of the other positive comments about it. LOL

But we all know that many variables go into the taste of tomatoes and that taste is both personal and perceptual.

Carolyn

• HoosierCheroKee
    14 years ago

Yes, indeed. LOL. And you might want to forego chocolate and ciggies for a day or two before eating that next Green Doctors. (Friendly Grin)

But really, mulio and I chatted a bit today and Green Doctors came up. We agreed it seems to have some wild tomato flavor drag from whence it may have come originally and who knows were that may have been. Cheesmani? Whatever.

But it just tastes to me sugarcane sweet with a wild, grassy tang. Unusual. I didn't say bad. Just peculiar. Maybe weedy. Personally, I think it would be great in a fresh salsa with lime juice and celantro, etc.

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

Tom8olvr,

That splending bowl of assorted tomatoes is my new desktop photo. Love it!

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Hoosier, I think you know where GD came from but if you've forgotten here's a wee tomato history of it.

I saved seeds from Galina's Yellow which I'm sure you know, PL with deep gold cherries and I like it very much. Saved seeds gave rise to no plants with PL foliage but plants which each had different colored cherries such as red, pink, yellow, salmon and one I called ivory.

This all happened shortly after Bill McDorman brought back Galina's and all the other Siberian ones and offered them at his website.

At the same time my friend Steve Draper who lived in Utah was also seeing genetic instability with Galina and asked me to send him the best of what I had which is the one I called ivory b'c it was a very vigorous plant and the fruits had some of that grest taste of Galina.

He liked it very much, named it Dr. Carolyn without telling me and I first found out that when I got my SSE YEarbook that year.

At first it was throwing some red fruited plants but that stopped fairly soon. it also threw some pink fruited plants and an SSE member sent me seeds for what he called Dr. Carolyn Pink, which Darrel says he likes a lot as do some others.

Dr. Carolyn mutated spontaneously to a green when ripe in Amy Goldman's Garden. I found that hard to believe and asked keith how that could happen and I still have the PM's he sent me which showed that it could happen.

As to wild tomato genes in it? There are two scientists at the Geneva USDA station/Cornell who have been doing DNA sequencing on many different varieties and have found snippets of wild sequences in all of them. Esther Van der Knapp at OSU has found the same and I know you tracked her down at one point, this was after Scientific American had a cover picture of tomatoes and discussed the changes that lead to differences in fruit shape and size as part of the evolution of our domestic tomato.If you want to check their publications their names are Angela Baldi and Joanne, and I can't remember her last name without looking it up.

So yes, I'm sure there are some wild species snips in Green Doctors, just as there are in all the other varieties that Joanne and Angela and Esther have found. QED.

I've met both two times b'c Joanne has relatives in Glens Falls, which is near me, and they've stopped by on those trips, brought some of their publications as well as a huge poster board that had beem used at a conference.

I first met Angela through Garden Web where she was searching for folks who had grown lots of OP heirlooms and that led to Craig LeHoullier and I both being listed as Consultants on their grant proposals to the Feds.

To this day I have no idea whatsoever to explain the original genetic instability that both Steve and I saw with Galina that then led to the variety Dr. Carolyn that then led to Dr. Carolyn Pink that then led to Green Doctors and now Green Doctors Frosted which is a clear epidermis mutation from GD found independently by Neil Lockhart who is listing it in the 2010 SSE Yearbook and Jeff Casey in Canada who is listing it at his website with all his other tomato seeds for sale.

Both Neil and Jeff were kind enough to send me a few seeds of GD Frosted which I offered in my annual seed offer elsewhere, now closed. While Tom Wagner has developed a couple of clear skinned GW ripes, I trialed Verde Claro for him back in the mid-90's, he's never formally released them and asked me if I would please not share seeds of Verde Claro except with Craig who was also supposed to trial all the varieties Tom sent, but didn't.

So GD Frosted appears to be the first clear skinned variety GWR that has been made available to the public thru Neil Lockhart in the YEarbook, Jeff Casey at his website and the seeds I'm distributing thru my seed offer.

Carolyn

• zebraman
    14 years ago

Hey! If you want a Great green when Ripe try Spears Tennessee Green. These have a great taste unlike Green Doctor's which will remind you of "those smells" from Doctor's Offices. Really Sweet/ Listerine after taste.