Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Red Robin has outgrown my Aerogarden, prune it?

Or move it?

I have extended the lights as high as I can, about 14". The plant has grown up in to and above the lights and is starting to bloom.

Should, could I prune it?

I could move it to my homemade hydroponics bucket or to a regular pot under some different lights.

Help?

Comments (8)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have a sunny windowsill? Failing that, is it warm enough there to put it outside during the day?

I'd hate to prune off all the blossoms!!!!

Linda

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Another thought. Yes - a different light would work if you can rig it up. I have one of those el cheapo stainless fixtures (with a clip) that can hold a single grow light.

Linda

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too cold to go outside. We have a lot of winter left here.

I can't rig another light overhead unless I move it out of the aerogarden. I'm afraid it will cause it to drop the blooms.

It does get morning sun until about 10 AM.

I have 3 more in regular potting soil growing under lights in a different room, and 2 in a sunny window at work, but they aren't blooming yet.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Could you VERY carefully re-pot it and take it to work? (Putting a bag over it so as not to get it chilled en route).

I know you are nervous about it dropping blooms, but it might work if you have another pot about the same size as the aero garden.

I'm in NC and my indoor plants get morning sun too. I pop them outside on the sheltered deck when it isn't raining or very cold out, and they are hanging in.

Linda

This post was edited by labradors on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 10:56

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I remembered that I had a magnifying glass that clamps on to a desk and/or counter with a florescent light in it. I used to use when working on computers as a side job.

It is very flexible and tall so I figured it might work.

I dug it out and clamped it to the counter, then pulled the tom out to the side of the other lights.

I put it an inch or so away from the top, I have had to move it up twice, so it's still growing skyward.

So far it seems happy!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An update, for all, but especially Linda,

The blooms hadn't started opening up under the magnifying glass thingy after a week. So I'm thinking wrong color or weak light.

So..... I bought one of those el cheapo stainless fixtures (with a clip) yesterday, per Linda's suggestion.

I attached it to the magnifying glass thingy for an easy fix. I put a 1100 lumen CFL bulb in it.

I walked by 2 hours later and the blooms had opened all of the way up!

I flicked them with my finger and I could see the pollen dust flying!

I might have little toms when I get home today! LOL

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Woo Hoo! Good news indeed! In less than 40 days, you should have ripe tomatoes :).

Linda

• vinnybob
    9 years ago

I have aerogarden too. You could try to detach the arm that holds the light and hang it higher. Bought LED light this year so no more height problems. I just use the Aerogarden for seedlings before the LED light gets them.