Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Tree Tomato?

Posted by gponder 7/South OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 9:43

If anyone has an opinion or experience with growing Italian Tree Tomato (not
Cyphomandra betacea Sendt), I would appreciate your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Tree Tomato?

I have not grown it but wanted to let you know that I did try to find information about it.

I first looked in several of my SSE YEarbooks and saw no listings for it. I then Googled it and found several links which mentioned it, more specifically a place called Rush Industries which sells plants.

There's one good link via Google to a thread here at GW where some were saying it's the same as Climbing Triple Crop, but I think not since that's an old Burgess variety.

The word tree I think is misleading since it's not a det thick stemmed plant with rugose foliage that kind of defines what a so called "tree" type is. Rather, it's being called tree b'c it has long vines as do all indeterminate varieties.

I have grown the variety Giant Tree which is a typical indeterminate with long vines, as is to be expected.

Carolyn

o

Carolyn, much appreciate your tenacity and input.

o

Last year I grew Italian Tree tomatoes from seeds obtained from Totally Tomatoes. IT's are not the same as Triple Crop, as I grew those too. IT's are large pink tomatoes, heirloom in nature. They weren't sufficiently acidic for my liking. Misterbaby.

o

misterbaby thanks for that!

o

I grew Italian Tree from totally tomatoes 2 years.
First year it was huge and amazing. Decent sized or better pink tomatoes( 4"-5" ? ).
The plant got REALLY big. It is vigorous.

The second year the plant got huge, but I didn't take care of it so it suffered.

I grew Climbing Triple L last year. It is either a totally different tomato, or the seeds got mixed up. It was a huge plant with red roma like tomatoes on it. Very productive.

I'm growing both again this year.

I liked the fruits of both of them, but I'm not that picky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here