Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Ben 1 and Big Ben 2

Posted by trudi_d Long Island (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 10:10

I'm looking for details on physical similarity or differences between these two.

Thanks in advance,

Kindly,

Trudi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Ben 1 and Big Ben 2

Trudi, a good place to read first is the link below and Ken is based on your own, as it were, Long Island.

And even better link I can't put here b'c it's from another site and Ben Quisenberry's grandson showed up and shared with us stories of his grandfather as well as speaking to the issues of Stump of the World, vs Big Ben, etc.

But there was no mention at all of a Big Ben 1 and Big Ben 2, just confusion with Stump of the World and Big Ben and Bradywine itself.

Hope that helps at least patially.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Ettlinger and Bradywines

o

Someone at another site gave me the info from an SSE catalogue on the two listings so I'm good to go. If they pass their germination tests I'll be able to offer them soon. Yep, Ken's an Islander too, though he's quite east of me. LI has an amazing agricultural history, it's still growing strong after nearly 400 years ;-)

o

Trudi, I did read at the other site the information you were given and also added to that to say , well, you can read what I said and the additional link I gave.

All to say, and I said it there that I wouldn't assume those two SSE listings by SSE itself are correct as indicating two different Big Bens.

Just my opinion knowing the time line on those and who was there at the time.

Carolyn

o

At yet an even different site there is a very long discussion about Thing 1 and Thing 2 and you can read what I wrote there, lol. OMG, so many discussions at so many sites about two tomatoes with so many intertwined stories. Oh well. I do actually think such things are good as they create interest about interesting good tomatoes.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it very much.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here