Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Medium size tomato for market recommendations

deanriowa
15 years ago

My larger garden is next to a small store my mother runs/owns, and I figured I could setup a small table and sell tomatoes, cucumbers and some zucchini. I plan on using any profit for my kids college fund. This store is locate on the outskirts of small town thus not looking for any off color tomatoes.

I would like to find two types of tomatoes to sell next year. I am looking for red/pink round tomatoes between 8 to 10 oz , can be heirloom or hybrid. I was thinking about perhaps, "Celebrity" and Italian Market Wonder".

Any other ideas.

thanks,

Dean

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

If I recall correctly from one of your earlier posts Dean, Rutgers was one that was strongly recommended. It is always popular with customers as a market variety and the determinate variety will give you a better number for sale at the same time than many others will.

Celebrity is one of those love it or hate it types. Not familiar with Italian Market Wonder.

Dave

• mule
    15 years ago

souix
    bradley

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

Ditto Bradley. Remember it's pink and not red. But it's a very nice pink tomato.

Glory for a hybrid. Excellent for market. Same goes for Big Beef.

If flavor is not an issue, then Mountain Fresh, Mountain Spring and Mountain Spring are all excellent determinate varieties that will yield heavily and they'll be very large, round and red. I'd go with the Mountain Spring or its TSWV sister, Mountain Glory.

Amelia is another good market red with disease resistance.

• sundrops
    15 years ago

If I were growing something to sell to the public it would be hands down, Champion. It is an excellent plant with lots of medium size fruit that has great flavor. I've never had a problem with it splitting and looks great on display. I grow this every year just for eating. The flavor is great. Another good one would be Dona. Love it!

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

I agree with mule re Bradley but Sioux would be a bit small for my liking. Eva Purple Ball and Druzba would be two more that will yield as well as hybrids but still have decent flavor.

DarJones

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I agree with mule re Bradley but Sioux would be a bit small for my liking. Eva Purple Ball and Druzba would be two more that will yield as well as hybrids but still have decent flavor.

I haven't grown Bradley, so can't speak to that one but will suggest the following:

REDS

I think Break O Day or Druzba( Fusion mentioned) or Bulgarian #7 or even Box Car Willie would be good high yielding tasty reds for OP's.

And I'm always partial to the Harris hybrids of Jet Star and Supersonic b'c I do think they have some of the best tastes around re hybrids and they're in the weight range you mentioned.

PINKS

OP's you might consider are Eva Purple Ball that Fusion mentioned as well as Rose de Berne, Redfield Beauty, Russian Rose and I forgot the other one I was going to mention. LOL

Off hand I can't think of any round pink hybrids although I know there are some but I haven't grown any.

Carolyn

• simmran1
    15 years ago

Dean,
    You know your market better than we do.
    IÂve only sold to a market once and that market (in SE Iowa) prefers Big Beef.
    It was a constant sell out to where I couldnÂt meet the demand.

The Market Wonder I saw on Ebay claims 7 oz. They are picture perfect, but
    not knowing anything else about them I wonder if they might sit.

My thoughts would be Celebrity, Champion, Glory, Rutgers and others recommended would
    be a better choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Store

• mtbigfigh
    15 years ago

Dean I would suggest signing on to TomatoFest.com - they have listed the top 20 tomatoes for market - also don't shy away from the "not looking for any off color tomatoes" - if you grow them and they taste them - they will buy them - do a small taste test of 1-2 different tomatoes per week - for the customers to try - if u build it they will come? no if they taste them they will buy - my neighbors and friends buy from whole foods now when I am not around to pick up - they like a lot of the blacks and others and the price per lb can be between 3.99-6.99

• bigoledude
    15 years ago

Celebrity grows well here in the heat and humidity. However, the taste is sorely lacking. Just about everyone I knew that were once growing it, have given-up on it.

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I will probably grow the following mainly because I have seed for them, other then the Celebrity, which I will buy plants:

Jet Star
    Rutgers
    Celebrity
    Italian Market Wonder

I will definitely look for seed in some of the other suggestions for 2010

Any suggestions for a prolific Black variety(8 oz or so) too trail for market?

thanks,
    Dean

• mule
    15 years ago

Dean

for the black I would look into a new variety called "Bear Creek". The only place I know that carries it is Gourmet Seed.

They also offer another variety that would fit that bill "Black Master"

They both produce very well in our Midwest climate.

If Robbins is around she can comment on it. It was developed at her farm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear Creek seed source.