Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Northeast Variety Suggestions

Posted by mashman 5b Boston MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 11:45

Anyone able to suggest tomato varieties that do well in the Northeast. I live in New England and am trying to cull down the list of heirlooms. Would love to hear others' experience (good or bad).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Northeast Variety Suggestions

Mashman, I've grown several thousands of varieties here in the NE so how about sharing with us what you're looking for as to color, fruit shape, etc.

Since you live in the Boston area there is one that comes from that area and that's Neves Azorean Red and I'll let you read about it at the link below.

It's become a very popular variety with many folks and you can see that from the many seed sites that now offer it if you scroll down at that site.

And Yes, I'm the Carolyn Male referred to re where the seeds came from.

Other than that one, coming from the Boston area, please do share with us what you're looking for b'c there's about 7K varieties available commercially and unless you give folks here some guidance as to color, fruit shape and size, it's going to make it harder for folks to make suggestions, IMO.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Neves Azorean Red

o

Carolyn Male who posts here regularly also lives in the NE and has grown over 2000 different varieties there so honestly your choices are not limited in any way by your location. Assuming normal weather cooperation and the growing conditions you provide, your choice should be based on the color, size, and taste you prefer after trying several different varieties.

Her book and discussions here about it can help you pare down the list of heirlooms somewhat but unless you are growing from seed your choices will be limited to what plants are available to you locally.

The search will pull up many of her posts with varieties listed in them.

Not to speak for her - JMO - but Rutgers is a NE based variety and quite good. Box Car Willie is a frequent recommendation here as is Mortgage Lifter and Cherokee Purple.

Dave

o
RE:she beat me

Aaaha - Carolyn beat me to it! :)

o

Thanks Dave and Carolyn.

I'm new to growing tomatoes so I apologize for such a broad question. I grew about a dozen varieties from seed last year and particularly liked Black Prince and Giant Lemon Ukraine. I would have to say I favor medium/large yellow and black varieties. But... feel as if I am being asked to choose my favarite child when the question is pushed back to me.

I appreciate your suggestions. Going to give Neves Azorean Red a go. Really like the history behind the seed.

Thanks again.

Michael

o

I favor medium/large yellow and black varieties

Then consider Black from Tula and Carbon, especially Carbon for blacks and Kelloggs Breakfast. I agree with Carolyn that NAR will be a hit with you also.

Dave

o

Carbon and KBX are on the list of 2012 starts. Will give Black from Tula a go as well.

Thanks Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here