Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
awsumth

I finally have tomatoes growing!

awsumth
11 years ago

This year I finally have tomatoes growing on my plants. Last year I believe I started my seeds at the wrong time because I followed the information on the seed packet. Growing in South Florida is challenging because I really had to do research into when tomatoes can produce here. Also the root knot nematodes completely destroyed my plants last year too, so this year I've decided to grow in containers with Miracle Gro moisture control and I have to say that it's really good!

This year I am growing Money Maker tomatoes. They're still green right now but I am waiting for them to ripen right on the vine. Here's some pictures right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: my album 2013

This post was edited by awsumth on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 13:02

Comments (10)

• florida-belle
    11 years ago

Awesome!

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

Those tomatoes are the color of my envy!

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

awsumth, congratulations on the healthy plants and fruit.

You might want to do something about the leaning tomato ring before gravity/wind/storm pull the entire plant over.

[I grew dwarfs and smaller plants in pots last year, and Remy Rouge -- only about 3 1/2 - 4' tall, having lost half its bulk to Late Blight -- bent its thin wire rings and toppled its pot multiple times.

This year, the French tomato database Ventmarin has added to its entry for Remy Rouge and lists the height as 6-7'. Now they tell me.]

• awsumth
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my first tomato from it! It's smaller than some of the other ones but it had some of the most amazing flavor I have had in a while.

"Those tomatoes are the color of my envy!"

I have attempted growing them so many times! When I first tried them I tried growing them in the ground, but the nematodes in the soil completely killed them. Then I tried doing them in containers, and there was a horrible whitefly problem at the time. Now I have them in bigger containers, and I tried the moisture control type of miracle gro, and it doesn't turn to mud like the regular one does, so watering is much easier! They do go through a half- to a full-gallon of water every day.

• SneakyP86
    11 years ago

Well that just decided it for me......I'm moving.

I am here looking at my seed packets trying to decide when to start them and you've already picked one.....I am so JEALOUS.

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Looking out at the ice here, 65 north of NYC.

Then I see your post. Then I smile.

Fantastic job. And, though you didn't know it, you gave everyone up north a little glimpse into what we look forward to and live for every year. Our tomato gardens!

In 8 weeks, I start my seeds. All from my beautiful heirloom plants. 34 or so varieties.

Thanks for the bump. I can't wait for summer and a few 2-3 pounders!!!!!

• awsumth
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fantastic job. And, though you didn't know it, you gave everyone up north a little glimpse into what we look forward to and live for every year. Our tomato gardens!

Aw, thanks. I really do feel like I did after reading everyone's messages. I am so psyched to start trying more varieties.

Happy Gardening!

• Wipa4246
    11 years ago

I'm in Central FL (zone 9) and last year was my first year gardening here. Yours look great! I planted tomatoes in containers in past years and they did real well. This year I planted a cherry tomato and an heirloom Black Krim, and I'm doing a raised bed.

• ticodxb
    11 years ago

wow, wonderful!! Do moneymaker tomato plants get much taller than they are now? If so, how will you support them? I have tomatoes on my plants too and will post a thread of photos shortly :D

• awsumth
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tell me how the raised bed does Wipa. I had a problem with nematodes getting into a potted plant once!

ameera, I have mine in a tomato cage and now I've added some 8' bamboo sticks to support the plant and the cages. I pinch the very top of the growth now so they will branch out more instead of growing taller.