Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneynut1977

Brandyboy seeds finally at local HD and what is brandyboy red?

Finally, my patience has proved fruitful.

My local Home depot has Burpees Brandyboy seed packets for $2.49 each, 35 seeds in packet. I've wanted to try them, but a lot of burpee varieties are too $ online for me to order. I just wait for packets to show up at a local store. Now I finally get to try Brandyboy.

They also had packets labeled Brandyboy red, made me do a double take, does anybody know what those are? I have never heard of those and Burpees site doesn't list them?

Comments (11)

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

It must be something new or a mistake. My brandy boys were pinkish/red.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

And thank heavens, say I, that Burpee doesn't offer Red Brandywine.

I've linked below to a page from Tania's excellent website for this variety. It is NOT related to Brandywine which is pink and has PL foliage,rather, RB has RL (regular leaf), not PL (potato leaf foliage)

Please read the comments at Tania's page carefullt since several sites are NOT selling the correct RB. If you want me to suggest a few good seed sources I'd be glad to do that.

BTW, an excellent variety which I've grown from time to time since the early 90's

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Brandywine

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

I noticed Brandy Boy on the seed rack at Meijers here in Michigan. I haven't seen them on any local seed rack since 2009. It might be time to buy a newer pack of them. I usually plant a few of them each year. Two other local retailers have seeds out and neither one has Brandy Boy among their Burpee selections.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Are you sure it did not say Brandymaster, a hybrid imitation heirloom which comes in pink, red or yellow.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I also bough a pack of Brandy Boy seeds @ Lowes, same prices $2.49.
    I always thought that BB fruits are red but not so . The package describes it as :

>>.... a Brandywine hybrid, potato leaf type plants , ... Huge Pink Beefsteak ..."

Seysonn

• fireduck
    9 years ago

I pulled the trigger too quickly and bought BB at the inflated price online. Maybe I got the "premium" seeds! haha

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I have not seen any seeds for Brandy Boy here. The closest thing I have seen are Red Brandy Master. I bought a pack of them. I have it right in front of me waiting to plant some as I type.

If you did not buy them, next time you do check the package closely. It is likely to be Brandy Master. MSRP price is $2.19.

Oh and I apologize in advance for any typos, as I have a kitten walking on the keyboard demanding some attention.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hi centexan,

What I bought is Burpee hybrid "Brandy Boy". from Lowes.I think this is the only Brandywine hybrid. I could be wrong.

Anyway, after reading somany good reviews on it all last season I decided that GOT TO have it. So time will tell how it is going to do in my PNW garden.

Seysonn

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Yup, what I bought in 2009 and saw this year was Brandy Boy. Never saw it any year in between and I definitely looked. I'm surprised by how much difference there is in the varieties carried by various retailers. The Burpee retail racks are certainly not all the same.

I've noticed for most of their seeds there is some difference between the retail packs and the ones purchased through Burpee. Often one is sold by grams or milligrams and the corresponding one by fractions of ounces or seed count. Some mixtures also have differences in the varieties included even though the names or pictures may match up.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies all. The red must be brandymaster. It did have brandy in it and it was a red hybrid. I'm gonna go back and pick up a few more packs of Brandyboy to keep and share, since from comments it doesn't seem like it's a sure thing they may be offering it locally next year.

Thanks Carolyn, I know there any a few OP red brandywine strains out there. I do have seed for red, RL; not sure if it's the landis strain though. I love the taste of the basic pink brandywine, but the last 3 years of growing 2 plants, average I get about 1-3 ripe fruit per plant in my zone before frost, so I'm looking to branch out and try some of the brandywine hybrids this year, also have seed for OTV, excited about that 1 too.

My hubby did make me a hoop house over 1 of my raised beds, so I will also try to transplant out earlier in that bed also. My growing season is short for the late tomatoes.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

When I was checking the racks, I was JUST looking for Brandy Boy, nothing else. And as soon as found it, I grabbed one pack and left.

Here is what I've got.

Seysonn