Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlissca

"Cool Climate" Tomatoes

mlissca
9 years ago

Can anyone give me feedback on these "cool climate" tomatoes, and perhaps also on the seed company tomatofest.com?:

Azoychka
Anna Russian
Carmello
Caspian Pink
Cosmonaut Volkov
Black Plum Paste

I live in the SF Bay area, where tomato season is always an adventure. I've been experimenting with different varieties and caging/trellising systems since 2010, and reading up on what varieties work for others in this area as well. It's always hit or miss.

I buy organic, or non-GMO varieties from sellers like Sustainable Seed Co, Baker Creek, Renee's Garden Seeds, Wild Boar Farms and organic only from Johnny's Selected Seeds.

I tried 15 varieties last year and it was a mixed bag. I had great success with Jaune Flamme, Black Krim, Blue Streak (which has been renamed by Sustainable Seeds as purple something or other) and some with Granadero Roma, which was a late producer and seemed resistant to the Powdery Mildew that hits our community garden each year.

Less successful but moderately productive were the Cherokee Purple and the San Marzano. None of the Wild Boar or Renee's Garden seeds have ever been successful for me here. I'm sure they do better in warmer, dryer conditions. I thought the Berkeley Tie-Die at least would be a winner for me, but nope, it was a total bust.

I'm thinking of branching out to new providers this year and looking for new varieties. Common wisdom here seems to be that Russian varieties do well. I am trying the Cosmonaut Volkov this spring for certain, as all signs online point to reliability and early, heavy production. Would love to hear about other's experiences with that tomato.

Any additional suggestions? I have space for 8 plants total, so I'm thinking one each of the four that seem to work, plus Volkov makes five. That leaves room for three more. I'm eyeing the varieties I listed above, but having trouble deciding the best strategy.

I have cherries and one canning tomato covered. I've been debating Cherokee Purple... which didn't produce brilliantly, so I'm on the fence. I'd love some slicers and variety in flavor, size, color... but I also want success!

Thanks everyone.

This post was edited by mlissca on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 13:08

Comments (20)

• patrick620
    9 years ago

I ordered my seeds from tomato fest for the first time this year. They arrived and they sent me two bonus packs of tomatoes plus a bonus pack of basil. They seem like nice people and dedicated to the cause. Other than that I can't say much so far. I ordered: ***Martino's Roma-Heirloom Tomato***
    ***Wisconsin 55-Heirloom Tomato***
    ***Sunsets Red Horizon-Heirloom Tomato***
    ***Baselbieter Roeteli-Heirloom Tomato***
    ***Arkansas Traveler-Heirloom Tomato***
    ***Italian-Heirloom Tomato***
    *** Andrew Raharts Jumbo Red-Heirloom Tomato***

We shall see......

• seysonn
    9 years ago

First off, the tomatoes on your list are not necessarily for cool climate , as far as I know. Secondly, how do you qualify SF as a cool climate ?

I know a few tomatoes that are said to do well cool climates:

-- Siletz, Siberian, Legend, Glacier, Manitoba, Willamette,...(there are more)

But even in my PNW cool climate, I can grow just about any kind of tomatoes.

Seysonn

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Azochka, Cosm Volkov, Caspian pink, Anna Russian all good varieties and do well for me.
    look into tatianatomatobase for more

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Maya and Sion's was impressive this year, specially for those who likes tomatoes on acidic side- true tomatoey taste

Here is a link that might be useful: Maya and Sion's

• keith100_gw
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have a cool climate suggestions, but once you select some I'd certainly vouch for Sand Hill Preservation Center as a wonderful source of seeds. They have an online site, but orders must be made thru the snail mail. Their site offers a order form you can print and send. Credit cards aren't accepted you need a check or money order . A bit old fashioned , you won't be disappointed.

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

Last year Azoychka was one of two that saved my season. I grew them in 10 gallon grow bags and got more from them than the heirlooms in my garden. I need a few more seasons to see what happens but given the decent taste, earliness and productivity, it could become one of my "sure thing" varieties that I depend on for when the later, less productive heirlooms let me down. You didn't ask for other suggestions, but the other one that did that for me was Sophie's Choice.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

based on good reviews, I am also going to grow Azoychka this season.

Seysonn

• tormato
    9 years ago

From a tomato buddy who lives on the cool coast of Cali...he says Caspian Pink is about as good as it gets, for him.

• mlissca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the input!

Azoychka and Anna Russian are definitely in, then. Wondering if I should seriously consider swapping Cherokee Purple for the Caspian Pink?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

@ mlissca
    If you have space, why not try one of each, CP and CP and see which one you like better.

Seysonn

• mlissca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have enough space unless I move the blue streak (determinate) to an earthbox next to my raised beds. Which I am very tempted to do!

I've never grown tomatoes in an earthbox before, but I really want to try both the CPs. One determinate plant in one earth box should be enough space... I hope!

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I think an Earthbox would work well for a determinant tomato. It holds about 15 gallons of potting mix. Just be sure to follow the EB instructions on the potting mix, lime and fertilizer. Container growing is distinctly different from in ground growing.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Here we are in the beginning of our PNW cool season.
    I have some of those that are bred by OSU :

--- WILLAMETTE, SILETZ , LEGEND
    ----(already planted some of those)
    Plus Azoychka, Arbuznyi (both Russian) . And how about Black from Tula ? Is it cool tolerant ?

Ok. Lets keep our cool (LOL).
    Anymore cool stuff out there ?

Seysonn

• mlissca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I couldn't help myself, I'm sacrificing melons for tomatoes. Final list, 1 ea of: Azoychka, Anna Russian, Black Krim (dry farmed), Blue Streak, Black Plum Paste, Caspian Pink, Cherokee Purple (dry farmed), Cosmonaut Volkov, Granadero, Jaune Flamme, Tiren, San Marzano Tall

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

That is a nice selection, mlissca. Those are mostly popular varieties. I am growing couple of them too.

Have a nice season !

Seysonn

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

BUMP

Of the varieties that I have named the following are doing GURRREAT.

#1: Azoychka: at over 8ft tall, it has close to 30 fruits so far. Some are getting close to soft ball size and more setting and flowering. But so far no ripe one.

#2. Willamette: It is amazing. I have 2 plants and they are loaded. There is one cluster with close to 30 tomatoes on it. I planted them in DETERMINANTs bed. But they sure don't act like dets at about 7ft. Again, no ripe ones yet.

#3: Siletz: I have , I think, 3 plants. They are not early this year but have lots and lots of tomatoes, that I cannot count. This is the second season I am growing Siletz so I know what to expect.Good taste, good size ..

#4: Legend : Also fairly productive but not as much as #1, 2, and 3 above. Legend has much bigger fruits than Willamette and Siletz. Second season growing it and I like it.

I would def recommend all of the above.I will review them once more when I get ripe tomatoes from them.

Sey

• mlissca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Seysonn, where did you get your seeds? I bought from Tomatofest and didn't have much luck. I am considering ordering all the same varieties from Victory this year. Any pictures of the Willamette?

• Vince (8) Kemper
    8 years ago

Carmello did great for me.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

I got the seeds ( for Willamette ..) from Sample Seeds Shop.

I think I have pictures of Willamette. Let me check.

The plant >>> not ripe yet

As you can see, fruit size is saladette, ripens to red.

It was prolific, disease resistant ,..And I like the taste , juicy, tomatoee.

Sey