Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

What's your favorite Oxheart?

tom8olvr
16 years ago

Curious, what's your favorite oxheart? I love them and am always open to someone else's favorite...

Comments (50)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Didn't you ask this before or am I dreaming? LOL

I seem to recall listing a bunch of hearts that I loved.

Maybe it was for someone else?

I can't check b'c the search engine here isn't working well these days. LOL

Carolyn

• sprtsguy76
    16 years ago

Not sure which is my favorite, and thats because I havent grown any. But I'll tell you I'm trying several this year and looking forward to it. Anna Russain, German Red Strawberry( if you wanna call it a heart) and Kosovo to name a few.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I did, but didn't get much of a response - I thought may be I'd get more of a response now that people have the fever.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    16 years ago

Last year was the first year for oxhearts for us, and we only grew one variety so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it was Livingston Yellow Oxheart and we liked it so well we are growing it again this year. We got the seeds from Southern Exposure. This year we are adding a red oxheart to the lineup.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

but it was Livingston Yellow Oxheart and we liked it so well we are growing it again this year. We got the seeds from Southern Exposure. This year we are adding a red oxheart to the lineup.

The blurb for Yellow Oxheart at SASE was changed since I last saw it as Dr, Jeff McCormack wrote it when he owned SASE.

The blurb now says it could POSSIBLY be Livingston's Yellow Oxheart, but it can't be and I think someone should tell them so. Maybe I will do that myself.

The SASE blurb says the Yellow Oxheart thay have dates from 1915 in Virginia, and if you go to Victory Seeds and read the livingston varieties, you'll see that Livingston didn't release Yellow Oxheart until 1929.

There were also other generic pink, red and yellow oxhearts around that early.

So definitiely not the Livingston one at SASE/ But I've grown the SASE one and it is pretty darn good. (smile)

Tom, do you want me to repeat the heart shaped varieties I do like again, or is that list now a codicil attached to your will? LOL

Carolyn

Carolyn

• timmy1
    16 years ago

I like Cuor Di Bue

And another called "De'onni" or "di'onni" never saw it in print but an old timer Italian family that spoke very broken English smuggled them in a while back. It is an orange type with great flavor and yields.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    16 years ago

Carolyn, thank you for the information. I did send seeds from our tomatoes to a couple of folks here so I hope they read your message, too. Whatever the name, yep, they're pretty good tomatoes!

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do love Oxhearts...

I don't know about my will... :) I do remember you're favorite oxhearts and remember that several of them were not available to regular folk like me... And several weren't available this year from Sandhill Pres... Next year...

BUT I am interested in other's opinions on THEIR favorites...

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

I do remember you're favorite oxhearts and remember that several of them were not available to regular folk like me... And several weren't available this year from Sandhill Pres... Next year...

Not true at all Tom, as to exclusivity. If you had gone to the other message site I mentioned to you once I recently did a seed offer there, now closed, with many varieties from my current SSE listed ones, as well as three new hearts that I'll be listing in the 2008 SSE YEarbook:

Anna Maria's Heart
    Danko
    Tsar-Kolokol ( Tsar of Bells)

And those three hearts as well as many more I never offered before publicly, including some hearts, were offered to everyone who posts there with no exceptions, no exclusivity.

Carolyn

• PaulF_Ne
    16 years ago

Last year I grew Wes, German Red Strawberry and Kosovo. All very good. I have grown Russian 117 and loved it. This year I will be growing eighteen hearts because I have enjoyed hearts so much I thought I would expand.

• rnewste
    16 years ago

Paul,

Specifically, how did you like Wes? I am growing it for the first time this year. I recall in a post that Carolyn thought pretty highly of it.

thanks,

Ray

• brainsander
    16 years ago

Hands down best performer for me has been Yasha Yugoslavian. Doubles the size flavor and production of the highly touted Anna Russian in my garden, though not quite as early (doesn't lag enough to complain about, though).

Also like Wes, and Teton de Venus, and for a yellow spectrum, Orange Oxheart (which is more on the yellow end for me).

Tried White Oxheart last year, but both plants suffered in the heavy rains, and the few fruits that I received were puffy, mushy and pitiful.

Have a green one to try this year that is supposed to be potato leafed and heart shaped, which has my interest peaked.Extremely odd combination of genes there. I'm somewhat skeptical. No name on this one yet. Got it from a seed saver in Belgium, and it is new to her as well. We'll see.

• PaulF_Ne
    16 years ago

Ray:

Wes was very meaty and quite large. The plant was in the seven foot range and quite bushy. The average tomato was 12 ounces and from the one plant I grew, I got 35 tomatoes that weighed a total of about twenty-six and a half pounds. The fruit was very pretty, smooth skinned and a perfect heart shape no matter the size. While flavor is relative, of the twenty-four varieties I grew last year, Wes and Brandywine (Sudduth) were rated highest in my personal taste rating. Close behind them came Carbon and Neves Azorean Red.

It may have been the year or my taste buds, but I am growing this one again since it was my first year. This year I will compare to many of the others listed above for reference.

Paul

• rnewste
    16 years ago

Paul,

Thanks for your first-hand experiences with Wes. I don't see many reviews of it, but the ones who do speak of it rate it very high on taste. Also, thanks for the size info. I had planned on putting it into a container, but will now stake it instead in one of my slots in my raised bed.

Ray

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Paul and Ray, I think both of you know that I've been continually praising Wes, the heart, along with Chapman and Red Penna as overlooked terrific varieties.

And I can't tell you how many seeds of all of those I've distributed in both seed offers and for individuals.

I think there comes a time when one needs to look back at some of the outstanding varieties that have long been listed in the SSE Yearbooks and have been overlooked, at the expense of lots of folks wanting the newest variety around.

Even in my recent seed offer elsehwere, I was truly surprised at how many folks passed up some darn good varieties to list the four new ones in their top five.

If only I could physically get out there and grow what I wanted to I'd be growing some other older ones, no, I don't know which ones right now, and distributing them as well.

But do grow Wes.

Carolyn

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Growing Wes (among others) for the first time this year - and I'm limited for space, so I'm NOT growing my staples... Russian 117 and Anna Russian!! I hope this is NOT a mistake!

I'm interested in knowing more about your white and green oxheart, Brainsander. Not to grow or get seed but interested in your results and experience and any history that you might know on how they might have come to be.

I'm really encouraged that many folks are loving oxhearts as much as I do!! :) Keep your favorites coming!

• windclimber
    16 years ago

Should a favorite Oxheart be known to be popular in the midwest (east central Missouri) in the 1930s to 1940s I am researching a " beefy and red " one.
    It's the only description I have right now.

Thanks for part of your thread Tom. Hope it might lead to another favorite.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good luck with your 'beefy red' oxheart, Windclimber.

• tormato
    16 years ago

tom8olvr,

I don't think Wes will be a mistake in your garden. I rate it right up there with Russian 117. For me, they both beat Anna Russian. My favorite oxheart is Mazarini.

Gary

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mazarini. I haven't heard of it, but I've just really started to focus on Oxhearts... Can you tell me about it? Red? Where it came from? How'd you come upon it? etc.

For me Russian 117 DOES beat Anna Russian - I agree wholeheartedly , but for me, in Z5, it's tough to depend upon Russian 117 with such a late maturity date. Anna Russian is a fine tom too! It's funny, people here at my work ASK for Russian 117 "Where's that Russian tomato?" I've told them I'm not growing it this year (course they're getting me all anxious now).

I also like the fact that Russian 117 is often double making it a really big tomato. I hope I'm not making the wrong decision cutting it out of the garden this year.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in Wes.

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I did, but didn't get much of a response - I thought may be I'd get more of a response now that people have the fever.

I've always had the fever for heart shaped, I don't call them oxheart, varieties and I wanted to add just a few more to what I might have listed for you before, which was a fairly long list as I can recall that you say you still have.

There are three new ones which you had a chance at, ahem, at the other place where I just offered them in a large seed offer, now closed, and those are;

Anna Maria's Heart, large pink, from Germany, origin Russia
    Danko, medium red, origin CIS
    Tsar-Kolokol ( Tsar of Bells), large pink. origine CIS

I'm especially enthused about the first two and have sent/am sending them to Glenn at Sandhill Preservation as well as Linda at Tomatogrowers.

They'll all be listed in the 2008 SSE YEarbook when that comes out soon, along with another new one named Sherrill, which is a large red bomb shaped one.

Carolyn

• tormato
    16 years ago

tom8olvr,

Mazarini is a pink (clear skin). I received it from a trader, who's source was Andrey Baranovski of Minsk, Belarus.

I rate it above Russian 117, Kosovo, Wes, and German Red Strawberry, which to me, are all very, very good hearts.

It sounds like you're in northern Massachusetts, if R117 is undependable, for you.

Gary

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gary, Actually I'm smack dab in the middle of the state. More Eastern than Western not that it matters... Still, R117 can be be a toss up for me (although I always felt it's well worth the shot). I've had years where it's the best producing ox in the patch - and then other years got NADA. I'm gardening in a new location (moved last year) and it seems to be a little bit more conducive to growing toms - (breezy, sunny, protected somewhat - If I can just keep the squirrels away) although a lot less space. Rest of the yard is shady... I'm growing Kosovo, Wes, and GRS (as well as a few others) this year... all new to me. And psyched. How long have you been growing Mazarini? Minsk!! :) LOVE IT! If you ever feel the need to share Mazarini seed please think of me.

Carolyn - I found your list of Ox favorites last night, but of course don't have it with me... I also kept your list of toms you grew last year for some reason - I guess something to aspire to!

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

I also kept your list of toms you grew last year for some reason - I guess something to aspire to!

What I grew last year was nothing to aspire to. LOL

The last season where I grew many hundreds of plants and varieties was the summer of 2004. I fell in Dec of 2004 and as you know am still using a walker, so since then someone in VA raises my 12-14 plants for me, and someone here at my home plants them, cares for them, and harvests them for me.

So don't aspire to any growout lists you've saved of mine for the past few years b'c it's mostly new ones I was sent, a few faves of long standing and it makes selecting what to grow very very difficult with such few plants to be grown out. Sigh.

Carolyn

• tormato
    16 years ago

tom8olvr,

You can reach me at dwcmuseum@yahoo.com if you'd like some Mazarini seeds. I suppose I should start looking for the other 40-50 heart varities I have, also. :)

Gary

• hemnancy
    16 years ago

Verna's Orange Oxheart- early, succulent, productive
    Herman's Yellow- big, productive, some BER
    Ukraine Heart- pink, large
    Wes- tasty, much later than above
    Russian 117- not productive]
    Forme de Coeur- Small, productive but not very tasty
    Anna Russian- med, not as tasty as Verna's

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HemNancy - If you had to chose which one would be your fav?
    Dr. Carolyn - Your fav list (that day) was:
    Wes, R; Kosovo, P; Reif R; GRS; Herman's yellow; Nicky Crain, P; Yasha Yugoslavian, P; Orange Strawb; and Ukrainian Heart (TNMUJ), P.
    Not that you wouldn't remember, you have a mind like a steel trap - the list is for ME.
    But then I noticed in what you grew out last year you had:
    Danko, Tsar of Bells, Black Heart, Anna Maria's Heart... None of which was mentioned above. [as well as Bloody Butcher, Strawb Margarita, Aunt Gerties G, Brandywine (sudduth), Earl of Edgecombe, Cherokee Green, Sara's Galapagos, Black Cherry, Green Doctors, and of course what you mentioned above Sherrill].

So you recommend Danko, Anna Maria's Heart, and Tsar of Bells as well as the first part of the list. Dr, what makes you 'recommend' or share a variety with (TGS and/or Sandhill) - (and I will look for them next year since I missed my one shot) - Is it that there isn't another out there like it or soley the taste or productivity? What's your criteria? I wonder what mine would be... Huh.

What is the difference between Oxheart and 'heart shaped' for you? I was thinking about that last night when I saw a "Giant Valentine Hybrid Tomato" with the description of: fruits that are semi-plum, semi-pear, and all heart... What the heck does THAT mean? :)

In my mind I've always thought oxhearts to have wispy ferny foliage - wonderful tasting - but that doesn't seem to be the case... I was generalizing because that's been MY experience. So I guess I have to change my thinking...

Thanks!

• douglas14
    16 years ago

I'm planning on trying four heart-shaped varieties this year:

Kosovo
    Wes
    Belize Pink Heart...a new offering from Baker's Creek Heirloom Seeds
    Hartford...one I've been tempted to try for the past few years from, the SSE yearbook.

I do look forward to these, as I haven't tried many heart-shaped varieties in the past.

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

Douglas14...what does the yearbook say about Hartford?? I am real curious about that one.

• ddsack
    16 years ago

Quote - "I was thinking about that last night when I saw a "Giant Valentine Hybrid Tomato" with the description of: fruits that are semi-plum, semi-pear, and all heart... What the heck does THAT mean? :)"

Just sounds like good press, I believe! I grew them a couple of years ago and was not impressed. They tasted and had the texture of Romas to me, just larger in size and with a distinctive pointed end. I didn't think of them as hearts.
    Typical sturdy RL hybrid foliage, not wispy.

• douglas14
    16 years ago

sunnyk,
    I should be getting the 2008 SSE Yearbook very soon. If no one posts any of the SSE descriptions of Hartford before than, I'll post them from the 2008 yearbook. None of my previous SSE yearbooks are here in the house.....I have them packed away in storage.

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

Okay...Thanks :)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Douglas14...what does the yearbook say about Hartford?? I am real curious about that one.

Since Doug's Yearbooks are not handy, I decided to pass alongthe following.

I have all my back Yearbooks on the floor to my left and at random picked up the 2006.

Three persons list it:

One from GA who says indet. RL, strawberry shaped, exquistie sweet rich flavor, source was from TN JO M, and that's Marianne Jones who sells seeds off her own website.

Neil Lockhart, same as above on basics, one pound red fruits, very good taste, source, someone in PA.

Third was Marianne Jones, same basics as above, about 1#, dense amd meaty and very flavorful, seed source was Neil Lockhart, above.

I then pulled out th next random Yearbook, from 2001 and here's what I found:

Marianne Jones, same blurb as above

Neil Lockhart, same as above

Now the person from PA, who seems to be the original source of seeds who says, large heart shaped fruit,meaty with few seeds, excellent flavor, seeds from the late Stephen Reikel of Oil City, PA.

Carolyn

• moosemac
    16 years ago

Here's my 2 cents...I love Orange Russian 117 for its flavor. It is not very productive, is disease prone and is a late producer here but the tomatoes are large, flavorful, fruity and meaty with very few seeds. They are gorgeous sliced and are a nice change of pace in salsa or bruschetta. Best of all, it makes awesome blonde tomato juice for Blondie Marys. Yum! As for the yield, last year I only planted 2 plants and had enough OR tomatoes to eat some fresh, can 3 pints each of salsa & bruschetta and make a 1/2 gallon of nice thick juice.

• sunnyk
    16 years ago

Thanks for the 'Hartford' info Carolyn!! Boy they sound good.

And now 'Hartford' becomes another variety on my ever growing list of seeds wanted LOL!

• douglas14
    16 years ago

Thanks Carolyn for posting the info.

• reginald_317
    16 years ago

Paul and Ray, I think both of you know that I've been continually praising Wes, the heart...

What is the background on Wes? My understanding is that C Male may have some info on it.

Oh Wes, reveal thyself to me such that I can be reasonably assured that you be a unique heirloom tomato cult, I do so humbly beseech thee.

An "heirloom" tom cult without at least some associated history is an orphan and thus is really not an heirloom.

I grew Wes in 2006 and it was very good.

Reg

• douglas14
    16 years ago

Gary,
    Would you please describe the taste, texture, etc.....qualities that make Mazarini your favorite heart-shaped tomato please. I'm tempted to request it from a listed SSE member. I'd just like more info. on it.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I finally decided on my oxhearts for 2008. Any comments or suggestions?

Akers Oxheart
    Brad's Black Heart
    Cuor Di Beu
    Dagestanskiy
    Dwarf Red Heart
    Gran's Portuguese Neighbour
    Jeff's Mystery Pink Oxheart
    Kosovo
    Little Lucky Heart
    Mazarini
    Reif Red Heart
    Slankards
    Wes

Thanks!

• reginald_317
    16 years ago

I think I finally decided on my oxhearts for 2008. Any comments or suggestions?...That be a lot of heart-shaped varieties. Tom, you may be in need of some, uhmmm, "professional" help... haha.

Many of the names I do not recognize. At any rate, good luck with them all. And save seed from the best of the bunch so that a few of us may have the opportunity, in future seasons, to become willing participants in (at least in some measure) your oxheart obsession.

Reg

• earl
    16 years ago

I agree that Wes is a great heart, I grow it every year. And last year and again this year will be Brad's Black Heart which rates next to Wes taste wise, but it's own flavor. Below is a BBH peeled, probably 16 ozs or so . OH! The memory of how it tasted!!! I hope the pic doesn't cause any [heart] attacks. :-)

• douglas14
    16 years ago

tom8olvr,
    That's quite a list of heart-shaped tomatoes. I look forward to hearing how they taste.
    Here's the hearts I'm trying this year:
    Wes
    Iraqi Heart
    Belize Pink Heart
    Kosovo
    Hartford

• tomakers
    16 years ago

OH! The memory of how it tasted!!! I hope the pic doesn't cause any [heart] attacks. :-)
    This is definitely a case of tomato porn on the forum. Where are the moderators???? Boy, do I wish I had that at my house. I can picture it in a seductive pose on my cutting board, getting ready to slip into something more comfortable, a BLT!!!

• MLcom
    16 years ago

Have only tried two oxhearts and greatly enjoyed both,
    Anna Russian
    German Red Stawberry

looking forward this year to trying a few more.

Great thread

ML

• ardent_learner
    16 years ago

After reading all of these posts, I'd really love to give Wes a whirl. Where can I find this seed? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)

Stacie

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Reg, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black(heart)... :)

Douglas14 - you'll have to keep me posted on your oxheart list! I'm especially interested in your experience with Iraqi Heart, Belize Pink Heart, and Hartford - it's production, taste (especially) and your make on it in general... Do you have any historical information about them?

Earl, that is a beauty! I just cannot wait to start planting. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in flower plants... It isn't NEARLY as satisfying! Especially looking at the picture - that COULD BE considered tomato porn!!! :)

Stacie, I may have one or two seed to spare, please drop me an e mail at abbywheeler@yahoo.com.

• reginald_317
    16 years ago

And last year and again this year will be Brad's Black Heart which rates next to Wes taste wise, but it's own flavor...Not certain what Earl meant here, but the BBH (the first instance) I grew in 2007 season produced ripes that burst with full "tomato" flavor, if that is a "proper" description. Very dense fruits that had enough sugar balance to compliment the strong flavor. If memory correctly serves me, I think that I would judge "Wes" a sweeter tomato, and a very good one as well.

Anyway, BBH plants will represent about 12% of the total toms in this season's plot.

Reg

• douglas14
    16 years ago

tom8olvr,
    I don't really have any historical info. on those varieties. On the description at Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, it is stated the Belize Pink Heart was acquired at a farmers market in Belize.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Douglas14, please keep us updated on your experience with them!

Reg, finally planted my toms this weekend - and I'm very much looking forward to Brad's Black heart (especially with seeing another thread that discussed Berkeley Tie Dye - them are some beautiful tomatoes!)

Thanks!

• dave1mn2
    16 years ago

Whats the deal with Oxhearts?

I remember Dad liking one when I was a kid. A big pink thing that I thought much too strongly acidic for my tastes.

I agree that Earl's tomato porn shot makes me lust for a bite :-)

Starting next yrs. list before this yrs is in the ground ... That makes me a tomatoholic doesn't it :-)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus