Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tatton95

Burpee's Sweet Tangerine hybrid tomato

tatton95
12 years ago

I am interested in geting feedback from those who have grown Burpee's Sweet Tangerine Hybrid tomato. It gets great reviews on Burpee's website, but I would like to get feedback from a source other than the company's website. I would like to find a midsize hybrid tomato that tastes similiar to Sunsugar or Sungold cherry tomatoes and based on the reviews I have read, it sounds like Sweet Tangerine is about as close as I can come. I have also read some reviews that it grows more like a semi-determinate than a determinate like Burpee says it is.

Thank you,

Brett

Comments (5)

• suncitylinda
    12 years ago

The open pollinated "Orange Banana" tastes quite a bit like SunGold. As far as Burpee, I wouldnt put a lot of stock in any claims they make. As an example their newest catalog lists Pink Brandywine as a small determinate that thrives in 95 degree heat. LOL LInda

• natal
    12 years ago

I've been growing Sweet Tangerine for years. I subbed Lemon Boy a couple years ago and wasn't as impressed. I think semi-determinate is a good description. It doesn't get real tall and it produces over a long period of time. The flavor isn't anything special ... certainly not anything close to Sun Gold. I've never tasted Sunsugar. I like the tomato because it takes our heat, it's good and juicy which means it's a great addition to a fresh (uncooked) sauce when I use a combo of tomatoes, and it's pretty. Works for me.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

As Linda mentioned Burpee isn't known for providing accurate information about their products - way over-hyped and often mis-named (they like to make up their own names for other varieties) - and that is only one reason many of us won't deal with them.

Consider Orange Banana, Orange Strawberry, or even better Aunt Gertie's Gold although it isn't a hybrid. Jubilee is also quite good when the weather cooperates.

Dave

• natal
    12 years ago

I haven't bought seed from Burpee's for a few years, but never had a problem with the seeds being other than advertised. In fact, that's where I first bought Sun Gold seeds many years ago.

I order from TGS every year and have run into problems with seed not being as advertised. No company is infallible.

• ikea_gw
    12 years ago

I grew Sweet Tangerine on and off for several years now. It is not going to taste nearly as sweet as sungold but it is a good tasting mid size tomato when fruits are ripened completely. I don't think I've tasted anything as sweet as sungold.

Sweet Tangerine is determinant but the fruits won't actually ripen at the same time, so the harvest period is about 2 months for me. It has always been healthy and vigorous in my garden with very good yield. The size is perfect for sandwiches or salads. I really like it even though I mostly grow heirloom varieties.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone