Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Tomatoes a must in garden

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 14:00

What I have found is that one should always plant one or two varieties of cherry tomatoes in your garden for the following reasons:
1. Very prolific and fast production, long lasting.
2. These tomatoes fill the gap between bloom and fruit/ripening on larger tomatoes.

I had 1/3rd of tomato plants in form of larger cherry tomatoes and tell you what, these were the most tomatoes that I ate from my garden, not to mention that I am still getting tomatoes in Jan, thing keeps producing non-stop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Tomatoes a must in garden

I agree! Also when it gets good and hot cherry toms are some of the most likely to keep going. I am trying several new to me this year including Tommy Toe, Camp Joy, and snow white. Also Pink Ping Pong which is a larger cherry. LInda

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 9:54

I have another reason for growing cherries, to get the dang squirrels to leave my beefsteak tomatoes alone :-(

Tom

o

1/3 of your plants? That would be way too many cherry plants for me. Maybe 1 or 2 plants out of 50-60.

I like a few of them but you'd be amazed how many gardeners don't like cherry tomatoes at all or even consider them real tomatoes. :)

Dave

o

I add Sungold tomatoes to my sauce and paste to make it sweeter. 1/4th to 1/3rd of my plants are cherries too.

Oh yea! give me those cherries.

o

It does depend on how many plants you plan on having. I ironically don't like most tomatoes but I grow a LOT for friends & sales out at a farm I have access to.

In my own tiny backyard I'll have just 4 tomato plants this year. Black Cherry, Sungold Select and one other cherry TBD will be 3 of them as *I* DO prefer sweet cherry sized tomatoes.

At the farm this year I'll have around 100 plants, only *maybe* 5-10 will be cherry tomatoes. When you sell to restaurants & at farmers markets they prefer larger tomatoes I've found. And ironically they're still adjusting to different colored heirloom tomatoes. Those here in KC just don't buy the "weird colored" tomatoes so this year I'm going to stick more with red/pink/orange/yellow heirlooms that I find tasty. It's sad because if they could just get past the color, most black/purple/brown tomatoes are just amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here