Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally Tomato's Freebie

Posted by tomatomike z7NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 14:18

TT is giving away seeds for the "Giant Tree Tomato" this year in addition to a green-to-yellow bell pepper. I got my order and I did get both of these freebies. According to the description in the catalog, this tomato is not the non-tomato species "Tree Tomato" (Cyphomandra sp.)that comes up in web searches. It appears to be just a vigorous indeterminant hybrid. Has anyone ever grown this before from TT seeds? I'm going to try a couple just for fun, but I'm just wondering what I'm getting myself into.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally Tomato's Freebie

It appears to be just a vigorous indeterminant hybrid. Has anyone ever grown this before from TT seeds? I'm going to try a couple just for fun, but I'm just wondering what I'm getting myself into.

Does it say hybrid? That would surprise me for I've grown Giant Tree ( tomato is redundant), it's long been listed in the SSE Yearbooks, it's OP and to my mind nothing speacial despite the name.

Carolyn

o

I got it free too. I can't find my catalog. I can't find anything here after the cleaner person leaves. The pack doesn't mention hybrid OR OP. The TT website doesn't either and listen to this...They call GIANT TREE tomato a Determinate!

Can't be much of a GIANT if it's determinate! LOL

This is one of those freebies I won't be growing. I won't be growing the pepper freebie either.

o

You guys sure "Giant Tree" freeby isn't identical to what Totally Tomatoes used to sell as "Italian Tree" (Trip-L-Crop) tomato(00380A in 2007 catalog)?

I notice Totally Tomatoes doesn't don't offer Italian Tree any longer. Maybe their dumping it out as "Giant Tree" freeby this year.

Other companies like TGS used to offer Trip-L-Crop, aka "Italian Tree," but I notice it's no longer in their online catalog either (unless I overlooked it). Isn't it supposed to be a long vining, potato leaf, large deep rose or raspberry beefsteak type?

Bill

o

The description is found at the top of page 3 of the catalog and it does not say that it is a hybrid. Here is what it says..80-90 days, vigorous 10 to 18 ft vines have strong stems and heavy thick leaves. Globe-shaped, pinkish-red fruits with few seeds, are smooth, tender and weigh 1 to 2 lbs. Indeterminate. The package does not say hybrid either (I was assuming it was--oops).

o

I grew one last year. I didn't baby it and it grew 10+ feet tall. it was efinitly vigourous.

very meaty, low seed pink fruits.
easy to split.
My TT package says "Italian Tree".
I liked it so i'll be growing it again this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: here is a pic

o

My friend Martin emailed me last night and asked me to look on page 316 in the 2007 SSE Yearbook for Giant Tree.

It's listed in the pink/purple tomato section by two members, one in Illinois and one in New York. A combination of their two descriptions come up something like this: "85+ days, potato leaf foliage, 1 - 2 pound, mild sweet flavor, purple beefsteak, juicy and meaty."

The Illinois lister indicates commercial seed source "Bu-1" and the New York lister says "from a fruit stand." Pretty much the same info is in the 2006 Yearbook, pink/purple section, for Giant Tree.

Martin says his 2003 Yearbook has Giant Tree listed in red tomato section. While looking for Giant Tree in the 2006 Yearbook, in the red tomato section, I ran across Italian Sweet decribed (in combination) by 3 listers as "75 - 90 days, potato leaf, red beefsteak, 1 - 2 pounds, old fashioned sweet tomato taste," and Italian Tree, "85 days, grew on a trellis, from (commercial vendor) To3" which I think is Totally Tomatoes.

Then also in 2006 SSE Yearbook, but back in the pink/purple section, again Italian Sweet, "80 - 90 days, potato leaf, 1 lb., rose pink, good sweet beefsteak, Totally Tomatoes."

They all sound pretty similar, huh?

o

Thanks HoosierCherokee for the info and for doing some extra research! I poked around also with the idea that it was the Italian Tree and tend to agree that it is probably that. I am going to throw up a trellis for a couple of these and some Trombocino Squash and I will shoot some pictures as it grows. Since we're talking June/July, stay tuned. I've got a couple of shoeboxes of dreams (seeds) for the spring-bet you do, too!

o

I went back to my 1994 SSE Yearbook where Giant Tree is listed by two folks in the red section. Usually the further back one goes to when a variety was first listed the better is the info.

Darrell Kellog from MI says about 85 days, PL and 1-2# red fruit and his source appears to be CV To1, which I think is TT, but I'm not sure.

The other person says about 85 days, ind, PL,and from a commercial source whose abbreviation I don't recognize.

In that same 1994 Yearbook one person lists it as pink and says nothing more.

One of my fave Yearbooks is the 1995 so I took a look there as well.

Darrell again lists it as a red.

In the pink section we now have three who list it.

The one who listed it in the 1994 as a pink now says it's red.

Calvin Waite lists it as a pink, PL, as says source was a CV but didn't mention which seed company.

Craig lehoullier says he grew it out from the USDA, NSL 5830 and got a rugose, dwarf 2 ft plant

And I had to laugh a bit b'c in that same 1994 there I am listing Giant Italian Potato Leaf, source USDA, NSL 34384, PL and ind, altho I didn't say so but I remembered it.

So a hazy background for sure, and USDA accessions aren't always true to form and that was especially true up to the late 90's when growouts were done at the USDA Geneva, NY station, and still are, and there was no isolation distances and obviously no bagging of blossoms. Things are better now re purer seeds from the USDA but no longer can individuals request seeds from the PCGRIN USDA system.

I could go back further with Yearbooks b'c I have them all back to when SSE started in 1975, save I think it's the 1982 one, but I'm not sure how constructive that would be.

Carolyn

o

So to get that straight, Giant Italian Potato Leaf is the same as Giant Tree Tomato???

Im growing Giant Tree for the first time, (no clear results yet) and have just been offered some seeds of Giant Italian Potato Leaf, so Im trying to find some info on it. I found this thread through google search.

Lena

o

So to get that straight, Giant Italian Potato Leaf is the same as Giant Tree Tomato???

Nope!

Lena, you asked about Giant Italian Potato Leaf back in January of this year and I've linked to that GW thread below where there's yet another long discussion of so called tree tomatoes.

I noted in that thread I was the first to list Giant Italian Potato Leaf in 1994 and gave the NSL number in that post in the thread linked to below.

Giant Italian Potato Leaf is not the same as the variety Giant Tree.

And folks, do take all the adjectives with several grains of salt b/c Giant/Huge/Humongous/Monster, etc., almost always mean zip with regard to either plant size or fruit size. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: GW tree tomato thread, Jan 08

o

I purchased 2 giant tomato trees from gardeners choice (yes, I actually got them on time and they are growing well with leaves and flowers). I noticed the leaves and flowers looked somewhat different from the other tomato plants I have so I e-mailed them and asked for the scientific name. Here is an exact quote from the e-mail: The scientific name is Solanum Lycopersicum TLC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here