Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Ma nature is making me itchy, above 50 at night

I'm not going to be fooled by mother nature, but it seems like time to plant tomatoes in early January!

It's been like spring for the last few days here and supposed to continue for at least a week. 60's and 70's for highs and 50's for lows!

I've got trees showing a little green popping out. So I guess It will be another fruitless year. I lost almost everything last year, fruit wise and a lot of tomatoes due to a late frost.

Comments (9)

• helenh
    11 years ago

Just wait winter is coming next week. We are warm here but Saturday winter comes back. It will get to you too so have fun while you can.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I sure hope it arrives, I found crocus blooming in flowerbed yesterday! Had a booming insect and nematode population last summer from the previous warm winter, hate to think what next year will be like if this one doesn't do some freezing too! Luckily I haven't yet ordered my tomato seed, so I can't be tempted to start them...

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    11 years ago

The grass is starting to green up; our next-door neighbor's steers are enjoying the break. But I think in the long run it's good that the cold is coming back. We're chasing flies around the house. ARGGH!!! And yes, my packet of ML seeds is singing a siren song I am desperately trying to ignore...

Happy dreaming of summer to all!
    Edie

• Cdon
    11 years ago

Thankfully, I am able to ignore this warm streak as the calendar still says January - far too early for the mid atlantic region.

IMO, the real sucker punch was last March when much of the east coast had a 20+ day run of temps in the 60s 70s even low 80s. I fell for that one and nervously waited out an average april with a few frosty nights that had me on pins & needles.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some potatoes that I missed are up! About 3" high. My fruit trees are budding like crazy and my clover cover crop is going gangbusters too!

Onions and garlic have sent up new leaves. I need to mow the yard because the wild onions are dancing in the wind! LOL

It won't hurt the clover, but I'm sure the fruit tress will take a bad hit.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I never thought I would be so happy to see freezing weather predicted as I am... I just hope it goes as low as they say it will! High of 26 for Tuesday. Other than my crocus I've only found a lone, self-seeded viola blooming, trees and such are all still dormant. Hope things settle into a more normal winter.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    11 years ago

Even here, in Canada, we have flowers blooming now.
    A few days of warmer weather and heather is already blooming! I am afraid to think what will happen next week when the temperature should drop to -23C ( -9F).
    {{gwi:1290047}}

{{gwi:1290049}}

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Getting freezing temps now. Everything that was sprouting and budding, except the clover and wild onions is brown now.

I hope the fruit trees recover!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I was afraid that if I mentioned your fruit trees and freezing, I would jinx them! I hope they recover too. Suppose it depends on how far along they were whether you'll see any blossoms later, but I think it would probably take more than this to kill them unless they aren't yet established.