Dr. Wyche's Yellow

Earl of Edgecombe

Livingston Gold Ball

Nebraska Wedding

Orange Strawberry

Comments (20)

• carolyn137
    13 years ago

I've grown them all except for Nebraska Wedding which never really did interest me b'c it's an orange and I far prefer Kellogg's Breakfast or the PL variant KBX and more recently Orange Minsk fo a large orange beefsteak variety.

Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Excellent yields and taste for me, Is not Yellow, turns a much deeper color that some would call gold.

Earl of Edgecombe, a deep orange variety with exquisite taste and I think perhaps the best that you list.

Livingston Gold Ball, OK, but has a very tart , somewhat aggresive taste if that's what you like.

Nebraska Wedding

Orange Strawberry although it's a variety I introduced by listing it in the SSE YEarbook I find the fruits to be somewhat dry and not as good as the other variety the same person sent me which was German Red Strawberry.

I still think the best on your list is Earl of Edgecombe, and it has a nice history as well. ( smile)

Carolyn,who thinks that since most of the ones you list above are orange, you might want to consider Jaune Flammee, and since some turn to what I call gold, you might want to consider Aunt Gertie's Gold. I know of very few varieties that stay pure yellow at maturity.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Carolyn, I actually prefer red and pink but I am trying to branch out and be more flexible. I grew Juane Flamme last year. It was a good one very productive with small orange tomatoes. I also grew KBX but had only a few delicious tomatoes. I can't judge it though because it might not have been in a good place. I planted my tomatoes too close and had a jungle and I have more rocks than soil.

• iam3killerbs
    13 years ago

I can't comment on any of those varieties, but I have always had Jubilee and Yellow Pear in my garden. Both have adapted well to different growing conditions in different soils in multiple gardening zones.

I find that yellow tomatoes have a subtle but distinctive difference in flavor from the red tomatoes -- neither better nor worse, just different and so I like to have them.

• tom8olvr
    13 years ago

I have never been a fan of yellow/yellowish tomatoes (even though I always grow Dr. Carolyn - that one I'm okay with). Until last year. I grew Pork Chop - reluctantly - and was pleasantly surprised - it was a good size, it had light/dark yellow/cream stripes and tasted good! People at work were asking me to bring them in. I also grew White Queen - I thought I'd try it and OMG, that was an awesome tomato! Great tasting AND prolific.

So yellow/yellowish tomatoes I would recommend:
    Dr. Carolyn (cherry)
    Pork Chop (medium sized beefsteak shaped)
    White Queen (enormous white yummo beefsteak that is as prolific as it is large).

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just saw Pork Chop at the Sample Seed Shop. Thank you

• euarto_gullible
    13 years ago

I grew Dr. Wyche's Yellow last year. It was a very early and heavy producer. Good flavor. Toward the end of the season though, in a basket I couldn't tell them apart from my Kellogg's Breakfast. They all looked orange to me.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    13 years ago

Are you looking for color or flavor? None of those are really "yellow".
    Of your choices, I love Orange Strawberry, which develops a nice sweetness in my hot dry climate. But tomatoes taste different in various parts of the country.
    If you are looking for color, there are no "fabulous" yellow slicing or beefsteak tomatoes, but Plum Lemon and Lemon Boy are very yellow, but have bland flavor. Garden Peach is more of a white-yellow and has a delicious fruity flavor.

Carla in Sac

• tom8olvr
    13 years ago

Carla, My experience was the same for yellow/yellowish tomatoes. I found them bland. But I found White Queen - a beefsteak - a huge beefsteak. It is truly 'fabulous' and it is a cream color. If you have not tried it and are into trying finding a yummy cream/yellow/white... this is your tomato.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have avoided yellow tomatoes up to this point except for Juane Flammee, Yellow Submarine, Big Sun Gold Select, and Sun Gold. I did grow KBX last year - the three or so tomatoes I got from it tasted great. Yellowish means to me anything yellow orange not red pink which I like. I have decided not to be narrow in my thinking and I am wanting something that tastes good to change my prejudice against anything not red/pink. I have already ordered several recommended, but I think discussion is good because others reading this will get help ordering. I am also very susceptible to new suggestions causing me to order too many tomatoes again this year. Thanks to all from me and I am sure many others who are pouring over their seed catalogs. I would never have even considered a white tomato, but now I may at least do a search on them. I would think the colored ones would be better for you though. Thanks all but don't stop.

• ekgrows
    13 years ago

The yellow / orange varieties that I would grow again are:
    Kelloggs Breakfast
    Yellow Mortgage Lifter
    Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
    Sunsugar cherry
    Apricot Brandywine - I tried for the first time last year, and got seeds thru the SSE. I read somewhere that it is yellow brandywine. While I sure don't know about any of that, I wanted to mention it, as I believe yellow brandywine seeds are widely available. Anyway, the apricot was very good, and will grow as long as I have seed for it. If I had room for more tomato plants, I'd order some yellow BW - just to compare the two.

I will be trying Earl of Edgecombe for the first time this year, am quite excited about it!

• californian
    13 years ago

Ildi makes up to 650 small yellow tomatoes per plant. They are easy to harvest and keep on the plant for a long time.
    Yellow Perfection was my old reliable, always first to produce and last to stop producing, but the taste was kind of bland.
    Kellogg's Breakfast is my favorite because it is so meaty and if part of it gets sun scald or some sort of rot it doesn't spread through the whole fruit, just cut off the bad part.
    Juane Flamme is O.K. but I usually passed it up if some other variety was ripe for the picking.

• carolyn137
    13 years ago

grows, yes Apricot Brandywine is Yellow Brandywine. it was first listed by an English firm as Apricot, so, I think, folks would think that it was something different, rare, hard to get, but those who have grown it at the same time as Yellow Brandywine, meaning in the same season so they can compare it directly, see no difference in the two.

Carolyn

• tkozloski
    13 years ago

Hugh's is yellow and absolutely delicious.

• tom8olvr
    13 years ago

I think this would fall under the yellowish category - it's a bicolor - Cherokee Golden - or Golden Cherokee:

I was pretty happy with this one as well.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful.

• larryw
    13 years ago

I'd surely go with the Earl of Edgecomb and KBX. But also suggest any of the following:
    Dixie Golden Giant
    Golden Queen
    Sungella Cherry (Thompson and Morgan)
    Indian Moon
    Djena Lee's Golden Girl
    Lemon Boy
    Dr. Wyche's
    Yellow Brandywine
    Japanese Tomato Tree Orange
    Angora Gold (From Glecklerseedman)

Yellow and gold tomatoes are one of my favorites. True, some
    varieties are a bit sweet and bland but others like the above have an excellent balanced taste. They make the finest tomato juice which can even be improved further through the addition of a few spices, some horseradish, and a bit of vodka.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tom8olvr Which did you prefer Golden Cherokee or Pork Chop?

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

Verna's Orange Oxheart, which for me is more yellow, is a wonderful early-producing tomato with nice fruity flavor and meaty texture with few seed cavities and seeds.

Herman's Yellow is a lot like it and maybe slightly more productive but not as early.

• donnamarienj
    10 years ago

Just curious - how did you find Pork Chop? It was on my list to grow in 2013, but got bumped for something else.

Anyone?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

B.U.M.P

Cause I am planting to grow some yellow/orange/gold tomato plants, this old thread was interesting. My previous choices had been KB and KBX.
    Now I like Cherokee Golden. Earl of Edgecombe also looks a good choice.

Now, I can only grow one or two. so help me choose from these 2 of them
    --- Kellogg's Breakfast
    --- Earl of Edgecombe
    --- Chrokee golden. I like this one because it is also a bi color.

I have to consider production and earliness as important criteria here. On the taste side , I like juicy tomatoes. I am not a saucer / canner type.

OK. Already planning for the next season. Thou my tomato plants are still doing ok.