Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted tomatoes

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 16:02

Planning for limited use gardening and only tomatoes in containers, I am considering grafted tomato plants. Has anyone used these; comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted tomatoes

Link below is to a number of previous discussions about grafted tomatoes, several of them recently.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafted tomato plant discussions

o

I have had great results with grafted tomatoes. You mentioned containers...a traditional tomato plant needs at least a 15 gallon container. Grafts, due to their larger root system, need even more. Half wine barrels are perfect!

o

Puzzlefan, I didn't take the timeto read the link Dave gave,and I probably participated in some of them, but I see you're in a zone 5 area so you have few if any soilborne diseases.Rootstock and grafting is directed against soilborne diseases.

What's most common in zone 5 and similar are the fungal and bacterial foliage diseases, and off hand I don't know of any rootstock out there that helps with foliage diseases.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here