Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

Varieties for the Swamps of the South East (Miami)

garf_gw
9 years ago

I am trying to grow tomato in Miami, Florida, near the swamps of the everglades. So far Everglades, Floramerica, and bloody butcher have done well for me. There must be others that can take the hot, wet, disease ridden, insect infested conditions here. I am experimenting with supermarket tomato right now. Winter is easy. Summer is the real test.

Comments (5)

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Some suggestions to try:

Black Krim (OP)
    Mortgage Lifter (OP)
    Jaune Flammee (OP)
    Bradley (OP)*
    (Arkansas) Traveler (OP)
    Thessaloniki (OP)*
    Calypso (OP)
    Floridade (OP)
    Homestead 24 (OP)
    Neptune (OP)
    Juliet (hybrid indet. 1 oz. plum cherry)
    Italian Ice ("hybrid", 1 oz cherry)
    Charger (Hybrid det.)
    Florida 91 (Hybrid det. or semidet.)
    Celebrity (Hybrid det.)

*I'm growing this coming summer.
    PC

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Have you checked out all the varieties recommended by the U of FL extension service and the U of FL Tomato Breeding and Research Center?

I assume that most of the FL billion dollar commercial tomato growing areas are further north than your location? Several of those growers post regularly over on the Florida Gardening forum here and don't seem to limit variety selection in any way from what I have read there. Instead they stress the importance of early planting and regular fungicide use regardless of the variety used. Is fungicide use not a consideration for you?

See list of all the varieties recommended for growing in South FL linked below. Just scroll down to the South Florida list.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Recommendations for South Florida

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

garf,
    All varieties on the list digdirt has linked to are intended for your November to April harvest season (the commercial season) which you also find easy.

I asked a similar question some time back complaining about the same weather which makes it up here in the Summer. I have the stubborn gene mutation: wanting to harvest tomatoes from July to September. At that time he told me the UF and cooperative extension didn't recommend planning to harvest in that period, and I shouldn't bother and he might have given me the link for that ;-).

I will do it again this summer, but will certainly not do just any variety - no way. digdirt is absolutely right in linking us to our own State resources and recommendations. Last summer I promised myself never to put so much effort into it again and I was fed up with it. But the more I learn the more I want to experiment as a matter of principle. I get the idea you are doing the same sort of thing.

This fall our iffy season was a bust for me, so I'll hope to be growing three harvest seasons in 2015. May-Jun (our recommended season); July-Sept. and Oct-Jan. The varieties I list you FWIW are the ones I've been considering for July - Sept, when our weather is nearly the same. If you try containers you will do better, for sure and possibly add some extra heirlooms. I think most of the hybrids on the list are commercial recommendations and it may be hard to get seed and the flavor might be bad for many that are basically gassed green types for what you are looking for in the summer, but the list is assuming you are growing in the winter and want to push your harvest longer, into May maybe, to give growers the incremental production that floats the boat.

My feeling is that we need to separate our crops and clean up. That means I don't want my plants in being harvested in Spring to overlap with Summer, because disease and insect problems can be interrupted with a clean break and basically give the short production spans a chance to go downhill using the strength of the plants on the onset of production. So the sowing will be inside and everything outside sterilized and in buckets and containers.

The Mortgage Lifter is an improved VFN strain, I should have said.

I have nice memories of growing up and riding my bike out to Coral Reef Dr., Quail Roost Dr., Krome Av., Redlands, etc as a kid. That was all fantastic agricultural land back then. I bet that has changed! If I were there I would do the winter season and start my seeds for the summer trial on mid March, so around May I'd be cleaning and transitioning to the new crop and break the disease cycle. I would also make a shade cloth canopy, and keep summer small just to humor myself, because the amount of water the tomatoes goes through will be astronomical and the fruit set poor and hard work so I'd want it managable and not overwhelming. But if you have a will there is a way, and most people just are happy with the great winter season.

Good luck!
    PC

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 0:07

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last time I went out on Krome there were still tomato patches and stands. I didn't venture farther than that.

This post was edited by garf on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 22:36

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Liz Burt also did well for me one year. Everglades is always a good bet here. I think if I could beat the spider mites, I would do well.