Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing tomatoes overhead with Aviator Wire

Posted by foodeefish z8SC (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 16:41

I saw a farmer grow tomatoes overhead in South Carolina using Jute tied to each Tomato Plant and then the Jute was tied overhead on strips of aviator wire.The plants were wrapped around the jute as the plants grew and he broke off the suckers as they grew. The plants looked great!!

I have cemented four 4'x4' posts in each corner of the Main bed and will use aviator wire overhead to string each plant to with Jute. Has anyone ever tried this method and what is best to plant underneath the tomato plants?

Butternut Squashes, Melons, Pumpkins, Onions,Carrots, Beets, or Lettuce??????

Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing tomatoes overhead with Aviator Wire

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 19:56

I have been involved with aviation most of my life and I have never heard of aviator wire.

o

Long time aviation employee too. Perhaps the OP was thinking of safety wire.
Steve

o

The Aviator wire is 1/4 inch stainless steel braided wire . I think it is called aviator wire because it is used in steering systems to go around a pulley.

o

I guess it is also called 1/4" galvanized aircraft cable. 7x19 construction. The breaking strength on this cable is 7,000 pounds.

o

As to your original question, yes, if you want to do all the required pruning then growing tomato plants up a string (regardless of the wire used to hold the strings) is a fairly common method. All that pruning to a single stem costs you production of course but some prefer the ease of access and appearance over production.

As for planting things underneath the plants - that all depends on the tomato plant spacing you use. Often string growers use that method so they can plant more plants in a confined space, often as close as 16-18" apart. Consequently there isn't room to plant anything under the plants.

If you are going to use 3-4' spacing then there would be room for inter-planting but keep in mind the different nutrient and water needs of many of the plants you list. Anything you plant in between will be competing with the tomatoes for sunlight, water and nutrients - when those needs are so different neither crop does well.

Best results is to have a tomato area and a separate areas for each of the other crops. That way you can deal with each crop's individual nutrient and water needs, planting times, harvesting times, and needed sun exposure.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here